Thread: What States?

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

What states have you hunted waterfowl?

What were the best?

I have hunted SC, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, Arkansas, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Dakota, California.

Number one would be SC back in the 60's and 70's

Number two would be Cameron Parish, Louisiana

Number three would be the valley in California
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

SC
    Ark
    Miss
    NC
    VA
    MO
    GA

Best: Well i couldn't catagorize it without breaking down what kind of hunting we are talking.

Big ducks: The bayou meto in the mid 90s would have been my best mallard hunting.
    The cypress brakes around Itta Beana are tough to match for thousands of gadwall and widgeon.

Teal: i would have to say the dairy ponds in Okeechobee county

Diving ducks: the Rock's pond area during the mid 90s would rival any other diver haunts i have hunted since.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

hopefully i'll be able to post something good about NE when we get back...aint headin up there until DEC 9-14

Anyone ever shot NE before
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

I have hunted South Carolina, North Carolina, Mississippi, Louisiana, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Montana, North Dakota and California.

Marysville, CA was probably the best place I have lived WRT waterfowl.

The Peoples Democratic Republic of Maryland ain't what it used to be... but then again, neither is any other state in the historic Atlantic flyway.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

DUCKMAN is offline Moderator - Traveling Duck Assasin

T
    DUCKMAN<br /><br />\"If you love waterfowl - support DU and the Flyway Foundation!!\"

my list is short, but i try to add a new one each year or so lately

SC, NC, GA, AR and this year going out to west TN to hunt the timber.

My trips to AR and NC were both in warm weather, but the experience in NC was much better. Our guide worked a whole lot harder and we got to kill some sea ducks in the Pamlico Sound, which is some pretty unique terrain to me. The guys in Arkie would only hunt the morning and in general just did not really seem to care if we got any birds or not. The sheer numbers were incredible though, considering the weather, etc.

AK, WA, OR, CA, MI, ND, ID, SC, MN, TX, OH, NM.

Its all different. You can hunt ND and time the migration, and your in awe. Hunt the Great Lakes of Mi and Ohio and see what a 100,000 divers look like when they all get up at once.
    Texas playa region is great, same as Alaska, AK can have a short season due to weather, same as ND.

Nothing beats the Pacific Flyway for a duck hunter. 107 days seasons, starting in Oct ending in Jan. Your hunting wintering states(coast of or/wa)all of Ca., so once they show, they aint going no where. They raise lots of local birds, keeps you busy till the migrants show up. A duck season where you dont feel RUSHED. Northern Sacramento Valley, Ca would be hard to beat.just a shame it is the Republic of California
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

romeo,

I live up here and have hunted it off and on for 25 years. The hunting in December can be great if we don't have a big freeze-up. If you're hunting the river it should be fine. The biggest thing up here is watching the weather in South Dakota. The day before and day after a cold front are my best days. There are alot of times you can shoot a limit in 15 minutes. Like anything else, it's good scouting and being there at the right time. One thing I'd say is as much as I hate it, bring a robo-duk. If you are going to hunt the rainwater basin then put some time into scout. There aren't many huge lakes and if you can find a slough or flooded field you'll see birds.

Originally posted by boondoggle:
    Marysville, CA was probably the best place I have lived WRT waterfowl.

you must be USAF, were you at Beale? No one is from Marysville.

I spent a few years chasing birds at Colusa and Delevan and a few private clubs around Marysville. Some of the most expensive duck clubs in the country in a 10 mile radius.
    I was fortunate to make friends with a past owner of the Jackpot club, have about 20 days total in their blinds...un-freakin believable.
    I also got to hunt the Berry Patch for one day. I knew i wasnt in kansas anymore when i rolled into the parking lot and the owner of the Oakland A's helicopter was sitting on the heli-pad

your right, it doesnt get any better
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

we will be going to Paxton,NE it is right on the north plat river
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

conservation permit holder

NBK Pro-staff

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    If I read 'mousetrap' in one more fishing thread I'm punching a puppy.

I have hunted in NC, ND, Ark, Manitoba, and Ontario. The best hunts I've ever had, far and away, were in South Carolina.

Sprigdog,

Yep, I used to be USAF and I did a stint at Beale. I actually lived in Grass Valley. My connection to prime hunting came via a psychotic woman I dated. I stuck it out until I knew I had orders and promptly ran away with my hair on fire.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Romeo, you guys should be loaded with birds and if it's cold in SD you'll have geese as well. Some of those spots you'll probably shoot a few divers as well. Good luck!

Grew up in Indiana, field hunted geese and ducks along the Ohio River, far from being a waterfowl mecca. Killed big deer.

Move to NC this year, hunting in SC. Killing small deer and according to you guys won't kill many ducks. Looking forward to turkey seaon.

Day of hunting still beats a day at work, so I think I'm still ahead.
    Founding Member of the Short Mo' Sea Pro Posse

Fuck Purdue

I've hunted SC, NC, VA, GA, AR, LA, ND.
    Pocalla Swamp in Sumter/Clarendon Counties during the '60's was the best Mallard hunting I've ever seen. The Bayo Meto in the '80's-'90's was a close second. ND is my favorite place to hunt now.
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)