Thread: Why are my turnips not as big this year

Default Why are my turnips not as big this year

First I am not a farmer, just plant food plots for deer

Last year I put in a turnip patch at Son in law farm for deer and figured would have some to eat end of season. They did very well, greens were better than knee high to deer and lot of turnips bigger than you hand could hold. Wife loves turnips as does her Mom and some of her neighbors . I know I planted them thicker than they needed to be but they did well and deer really did not feed on them near a such as I thought they would

This year did same thing and even planted another spot closer to barn just for poops n giggles but this year turnips are not big at all, they were planted around first week of Oct (same as last year) but we did not get much rain until late October. Greens are not but about 4-5” tall but looks like deer are eating them a lot more this year

Any idea what the difference is and has caused this .

Fertilizer? Plant population? Just for starts

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Try planting them earlier, as in anytime after the first of August. They can make full use of 90 days frost-free growth.

Moisture can be a challenge, and then there are army worms to worry about, but when the stars line up you should have softball or larger turnips by Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by MC View Post
    Try planting them earlier, as in anytime after the first of August. They can make full use of 90 days frost-free growth.

Moisture can be a challenge, and then there are army worms to worry about, but when the stars line up you should have softball or larger turnips by Thanksgiving.

Kind of what I was thinking, would not have done much good to plant them any earlier

Last year we had a ton of rain and really not sure when we had a hard frost but this year I recall a few hard frost in early November and was wondering if that stunted growth.

Aug20 no more than 8lb acre

The lack of rain in October probably slowed the growth compiled with a colder November(the frost sweetens them up) made them very favorable for deer and having a smaller crop probably made it seem like they were hit harder would be my guess

Also consider deer density and other food sources that may been available (standing beans last year vs harvested corn this year?)