Thread: Wyoming Hunting Applications Open Jan. 2nd.

Default Wyoming Hunting Applications Open Jan. 2nd.

Hunting applications open Jan. 2

Nonresident elk hunters should note new May draw date

12/16/2019 10:54:20 PM

CHEYENNE - For hunters, Jan. 2 is more important than New Year’s Day. That’s when the Wyoming Game and Fish Department opens applications for six different big game species and wild turkey. All applications must be submitted online.

Beginning at 8 a.m., resident and nonresident hunters can begin to submit applications for elk, deer, antelope, spring turkey, moose, sheep and mountain goat. The first deadline is Jan. 31 for nonresident elk and resident and nonresident spring turkey.

New for 2020, Game and Fish will not publish tentative season information in the application packet for elk, deer and antelope. Instead, hunters can reference the 2019 regulations and archery season dates on the Hunter Planner. Tentative season information for 2020 is available for moose, sheep, and mountain goat. Final season information will be published on May 1, with time for hunters to make modifications or withdraw applications.

Nonresident elk hunters should also be aware of a significant change to the draw date beginning in 2020. The nonresident elk application period remains Jan. 2-31. However, applicants have until May 8 to modify or withdraw their applications. Draw results will post the third week in May. The change is meant to give applicants more information before the draw.

“In the past, nonresident elk hunters finalized their applications long before the Game and Fish Commission approved the seasons in April,” said Jennifer Doering, Game and Fish license section manager.

With the change, nonresident hunters can withdraw or modify license applications once the season information is finalized in April by the Game and Fish Commission.

“Now licenses will be issued based on final and approved season information,” Doering said.

Details on 2020 deadlines and information will be updated on the Game and Fish Hunt Planner at the end of December. Anyone will questions regarding hunting applications can call (307) 777-4600.

(Sara DiRienzo (307-777-4540))

- WGFD -

Thanks for the heads up
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

What’s cool this year, is there letting you modify or withdraw your application by May 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    What’s cool this year, is there letting you modify or withdraw your application by May 8.
    I saw that but haven't looked into the details. Not that I'd want to withdraw but assuming you do you get your refund minus the $30 for the preference point?

Negative. You must purchase preference points separately.
    I’ve got enough points to draw general elk this year. Just got to figure out a unit.
    Last edited by FLS; 12-24-2019 at 04:35 PM.

I just started working on my elk points this past fall but have enough points for a good antelope hunt hopefully

There are no animals in Wyoming. Try New Jersey, I hear the elk hunting is dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I saw that but haven't looked into the details. Not that I'd want to withdraw but assuming you do you get your refund minus the $30 for the preference point?
    I may have to withdraw my application, “if” I get lucky in New Mexico and or Arizona....

Like FLS said, preference point deadline was end of October. That ship done sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I may have to withdraw my application, “if” I get lucky in New Mexico and or Arizona....

Like FLS said, preference point deadline was end of October. That ship done sailed.
    Right on the preference point. It’s been a while since I looked at it so correct me if I’m wrong but come Jan don’t you have the option to buy another point if you don’t apply? I can’t remember the rule but don’t you have to stay active by applying annually or buying pints to keep your points? Meaning if you don’t apply or buy a point in January you lose all points? And of course fall points are optional.
    Last edited by reeltight; 12-24-2019 at 06:08 PM.

Preference point purchase period is July thru October.
    If you don’t apply or buy for two consecutive years you lose your points.

25F9FCAC-B516-4DEF-BEFE-07E974CA4386.jpg

found this helpful chart for those needing dates and what not
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I’m researching an elk trip this year.

Can I draw anywhere in Wyoming with no points? I understand the rules for nonresidents in wilderness areas, but I am curious if I can get a decent draw with no points anywhere in Wyoming? I’m looking for an archery bull hunt on public, and Wyoming intrigues me most.

Feel Free to PM me if you could help a brother out.

Daniel Hunter

Colorado over the counter archery is your best bet.

I get the impression that Colorado is the Bayou Meto of elk hunting and Idaho is the White River, ha. I’m ready to get my feet wet either way.

With no points you've got to go where you can.

It will take 3 points to draw a general tag in WY this year.
    New Mexico is random draw or you can buy a tag from a landowner.
    Colorado OTC is a zoo. Killing a bull is blind luck IMO. I hunted first rifle (draw) and there were still a lot of people.