Thread: Anyone ever have problem getting turkey up to temp

Default Anyone ever have problem getting turkey up to temp

Have been smoking turkeys for MANY MANY years and never run into this. Put 17lb bird on smoker today at 2pm, 10pm and still not at 165

Seems like it has stalled in mid 150’s , have Thermopro temp probes in turkey

started at 250 and bumped up to 275 and finally on up to 300.

Even checked it with an instant read thermometer and same thing

Brought turkey in house and put in 350 oven to finish.

Any ideas, have NEVER seen this problem before NEVER

You just need another drink of bourbon...

Was it frozen?

When the temp drops below 50 degrees or so I have to wrap my electric smoker (yea, I know) in aluminum foil to get the temperature up. It runs at a constant 225 at normal ambient temps (70 to 90 around here).

I hang my wrapped in the bag frozen turkey on my skinning rack overnight. Sometimes I hang it at noon and it's thawed out by the next morning. Depends on temps. If the center was frozen I can see it not getting to temperature. Frozen turkeys take a long time to defrost.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

The turkey I smoked for thanksgiving did the same thing. Never quite got to internal. But I knew it had plenty of time and temp. So I pulled it. Let it cool, cut down into it and it was all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    You just need another drink of bourbon...

Maybe that was the problem, NO BOURBON while cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    The turkey I smoked for thanksgiving did the same thing. Never quite got to internal. But I knew it had plenty of time and temp. So I pulled it. Let it cool, cut down into it and it was all good.

Finished it in oven for an hour, could not cut into this one. I smoke a turkey every year for Wife’s Boss and his family. Wife keeps telling me this was an 18lb bird , tag was gone so not sure but do not normally buy birds more than 14-15lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Downeast View Post
    When the temp drops below 50 degrees or so I have to wrap my electric smoker (yea, I know) in aluminum foil to get the temperature up. It runs at a constant 225 at normal ambient temps (70 to 90 around here).

I hang my wrapped in the bag frozen turkey on my skinning rack overnight. Sometimes I hang it at noon and it's thawed out by the next morning. Depends on temps. If the center was frozen I can see it not getting to temperature. Frozen turkeys take a long time to defrost.
    Smoker held temp pretty steady

Turkey was frozen but I put in damn fridge a week ago to thaw in fridge , even had it in brine for 15hours. Could have been the issue was middle was not thawed completely. Have no clue