Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best hardware for "cutting the cable"?

Default Best hardware for "cutting the cable"?

I feel like there was a thread within the last year or so dealing with this but I may not have been using the right key words for the search query...

I'll preface this by saying I am not a tech guy...maybe only slightly more capable than Toof. So I'll respectfully ask that you don't try to educate me on such matters...

Looking for a "box" to run the TV in our entertainment room that I can hardwire directly into the modem/network and then HDMI to the TV. Something with a faster processor than a firestick or Roku device that relies solely upon a WiFi signal.

Primary use will be streaming YouTube TV, Netflix, ESPN, and Prime type of programs/apps.

Suggestions from the collective brain trust?

Smart TV?

Ive got a firestick. It works fine.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

It is a smart tv and currently has a firestick that struggles and takes a while to load

You can’t plug the TV into a LAN line and load those Apps on the TV? Then no more need for WIFI.
    I just did this and it’s working great.

Why the BOX?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Something aint right. You're welcome to come get my roku to see if that works any better for you.

Also - I think both the roku and the apple tv can be hardwired but you'd need to double check that.

Do you have a wifi extender in your house? If so, is the firestick using it's signal or the modem's?

Our modem is in my office with an extender downstairs in the toy room. The smart TV and Roku in our bedroom does fine. Every once in a blue moon Netflix will take a while to load on the smart tv's (not roku) but it's rare and I usually just turn the tv off and start over.

I bought a newer Smart TV and I thought I saw the little Sling thing on it.. it found out it doesn't have it, so I've got the roku attached also. I've got a couple, not the cheap little ones, it is like the middle one that's about seventy bucks. Those work, and I like sling too. I've got a few things on it, but Sling is more like what grown ups want.

We just bought a Samsung smart TV and loaded up YouTube TV on it directly. Works great. We also get Amazon Video (free with a Prime membership) and Netflix. We haven't found anything yet we wanted to watch but couldn't. A lot of other apps available if you want to. I like watching DIY YouTube videos on a 75" TV ...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I install a few AppleTV's a week. It can be hardwired, can run from an app on your phone if you like and is very easy to navigate IMO. I'm not sure if Roku is making a hardwire version anymore.

How do you guys watch local TV? All I really care about is the football on CBS ABC ect. My digital antenna isn't working as well as it used to.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I get some kind of free tv with the tv I bought, there's all sorts of shit on it. But it's just too much for me to look through because it's new and I don't like "new". I gave in to the kids and got netflix, seems like I've watched all of their documentaries though, I don't do men soap operas. Sling, I get enough sports.. that is I can watch basically any college football that I care to watch and I get the golf channel. There are like three other shows that I watch with my youngest daughter. Youtube is expensive now, you've really got to pick one or the other of those nerdy aps. Then I bought a premium thing with SCETV so it unlocks their shows, it's only like 75 bucks for two years. That let me watch the country music thing whenever I wanted.

I've got a digital antenna for local, but really there's no use for it anymore. WIS gets rid of basically anyone that people seem to like. I mean, I'd trust a fart in waders before one of their weather guys.

The newest blonde girl mentioned that her favorite movie was "fast and furious", you can't take people like that serious. You've got Rick talking about Mcbee as he has for like decades, the rest of the men are feminine yankees.

Anything with Paul Walker in it is a damn good movie. Let's don't not be friends.

hahaha

I swear I was walking past the tv when I heard that, asked the wife what she said, and immediately thought of you. I was like I hope somewhere and somehow you heard that.

https://www.wistv.com/2019/09/27/kamie-roesler/
    Last edited by Highstrung; 12-21-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    You can’t plug the TV into a LAN line and load those Apps on the TV? Then no more need for WIFI.
    I just did this and it’s working great.
    Have not thought about this possibility...

WiFi is fine...just takes a while for the apps to populate. Mainly just looking to put a higher speed processor on the main TV in the house since it is basically beside the modem and cut down on stuff running off of WiFi if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    How do you guys watch local TV? All I really care about is the football on CBS ABC ect. My digital antenna isn't working as well as it used to.
    YouTube TV has all my local channels and affliates. Allows log into the ESPN app for everything not included on YTTV

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...omecast-v-roku

Finally found the thread I was looking for....anybody running one of these H96+ style boxes? Has it been replaced with something better/more up to date?
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-21-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    We just bought a Samsung smart TV and loaded up YouTube TV on it directly. Works great. We also get Amazon Video (free with a Prime membership) and Netflix. We haven't found anything yet we wanted to watch but couldn't. A lot of other apps available if you want to. I like watching DIY YouTube videos on a 75" TV ...
    Exactly what I have , YouTube TV (includes local channels also and SEC network and plenty of sports channels), Amazon Video and Netflix.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-22-2019 at 12:26 AM.