Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best hardware for "cutting the cable"?

Who you getting your internet from?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Late to the show, but a Shield Pro is the most user friendly box out there with considerably more power than than a firestick/roku/firecube/etc.

https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield.../dp/B07YP9FBMM

There are other options if you're a bit more savvy and want additional features, ie. IPTV and the like. Otherwise stick with the aforementioned Nvidia device.

"slightly more capable than Toof" is an awfully big window...

but once you figure this out, explain it to me. I have a cabin in the country that needs a TV come game day.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I can do that. I am the number 2 tech guy in my own company.. I have skills.

Get the internet, get a roku box (like the 70ish dollar one), and then I can set it all up.. I know you're like me so you're not actually going to go to the store, so whoever you send tell them what I said. Then we can fry fish and hushpuppies and set it up.

fire stick, look up a service called norago. facebook group called Bluffton Fire will have all the .apk's you will need to download the services. PM me if you have any questions about it.
    Last edited by bnicknad; 01-22-2020 at 08:44 AM.

I wound up with a Roku Ultra...can utilize this box with either wifi or Ethernet. Plugged it directly into the back of the modem and everything works as it should with no lag now. Pleased with the hardware and YouTube TV combination.

This TV shit is way too technical for me. Can we go back to the old roof style antennas and vhs tapes?
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

My cable bill is around $185.00 now. That includes more channels than I can watch. Checked into wifi only with Charter and it was somewhere around $75 per month. How much is the Youtube monthly subscription and is there any monthly fee for the Roku or Sling service? Just trying to see if the monthly savings is worth cutting the cord. I'm not a big fan of change as I'm an old fart now and set in my ways...

Just did this. Cable bill was ~$190 after taxes fees with Spectrum. Now paying $70 for internet only and $50 for YouTube TV. Just started using it but seems easy enough. I will give it a couple of months and may get rid of and just do Netflix and Amazon. We use Apple TV which I really like and suggest. Not the cheapest but the interface if very easy and you can talk to remote.

Quote Originally Posted by CUfisherman View Post
    Just did this. Cable bill was ~$190 after taxes fees with Spectrum. Now paying $70 for internet only and $50 for YouTube TV. Just started using it but seems easy enough. I will give it a couple of months and may get rid of and just do Netflix and Amazon. We use Apple TV which I really like and suggest. Not the cheapest but the interface if very easy and you can talk to remote.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback.

I don't understand the need for all the "Sticks" and "boxes" as inexpensive as ROKU televisions are and all you need to be able to do is plug it into the wall socket. Quit making it difficult.

You rural types who can't get fast internet need to check to see if you can see a transmission tower from your place. As long as you are line of sight, you can probably get unlimited high speed internet now. Finally after all these years...

For you rural boys y'all need to check out Viasat. I got a guy I work with sometimes in Florence who sells and install it. Says the 25M is pretty solid, and reliable compared to cellular.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Not sure what speeds y'all are seeing on cellular but I'd go out on a limb and bet it ain't 25M. But I could be wrong...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The service of which I speak isn't cellular. It is some sort of microwave coming off of large transmission (TV) towers. True unlimited 25 costs $135 per month. 10 costs $115. If you can't see one of those towers you are SOL.

Unless you got wifi in your GM product. We ran the whole deal outa my truck for about a year. Long as you got a good battery charger that is
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I haven't had cable in over seven years. I have a FireStick in the bedroom which I like a lot. I use Amazon Prime video and Netflix on that. We used to have Hulu as well, but I stopped paying for that because we just never watched it... I loaded my FireStick with kodi app and have access to all content I like.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbarker View Post
    I haven't had cable in over seven years. I have a FireStick in the bedroom which I like a lot. I use Amazon Prime video and Netflix on that. We used to have Hulu as well, but I stopped paying for that because we just never watched it... I loaded my FireStick with kodi app and have access to all content I like.
    You don't watch sports? If so where you getting um from.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"