Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flounder study....

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Rod and reel fisherman are doing it for the fun and to keep a few to eat. Giggers are looking for that facebook/instagram photo or where they can hashtag #limits. I see it a lot in the summer. You give those googans a rod and reel and they would be lucky to come back to the dock with one.
    Most of the people I know that go striking don't know what fb and instagram is.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    striking
    proper terminology. thank you

When I have the opportunity to go striking, it's because of the solitude, peace and quite, and overall nighttime experience on the water.
    I don't think the same motive can be said about those running generators....
    I would definitely support more striking regulation that way I wouldn't have to listen to you loud mouth fuckers polluting my silent night as you try and talk over your silly generator!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Shouldn't need a generator anyways and a trolling motor wouldn't do anything but stir up the water. I don't think outlawing either of those would help much. A lower limit would certainly be a good start.

When I have the opportunity to go striking, it's because of the solitude, peace and quite, and overall nighttime experience on the water.
    I don't think the same motive can be said about those running generators....
    I would definitely support more striking regulation that way I wouldn't have to listen to you loud mouth fuckers polluting my silent night as you try and talk over your silly generator!
    I would also welcome some limit on the amount of lighting. Football stadium lighting is not necessary to see a fish and it can be a navigation hazard for anyone else in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFlip View Post
    Shouldn't need a generator anyways and a trolling motor wouldn't do anything but stir up the water. I don't think outlawing either of those would help much. A lower limit would certainly be a good start.
    I’m absolutely not picking on you here, flip. But this meet in the middle, compromise nonsense that takes away from the guys paying the most and taking the least is bullshit.

Shrimp trawling kills flounder on an industrial scale. Gigging is a distant second. You want to make a meaningful difference? Eliminate trawling or invent a flounder extractor.

I don’t support any limitations on shrimping. One of my best friends has a shrimp boat. I want him to thrive and I love South Carolina shrimp. But you boys keep talking about this and if you’re going to do that and get all concerned about where the regulations are heading, at least be honest with yourselves about why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I’m absolutely not picking on you here, flip. But this meet in the middle, compromise nonsense that takes away from the guys paying the most and taking the least is bullshit.

Shrimp trawling kills flounder on an industrial scale. Gigging is a distant second. You want to make a meaningful difference? Eliminate trawling or invent a flounder extractor.

I don’t support any limitations on shrimping. One of my best friends has a shrimp boat. I want him to thrive and I love South Carolina shrimp. But you boys keep talking about this and if you’re going to do that and get all concerned about where the regulations are heading, at least be honest with yourselves about why.
    Isn't the sc shrimp boat fleet getting smaller and smaller? If this is the case, why are flounder numbers going down? Wouldn't they be going up? I hear from locals when I'm at the coast there there used to be all the shrimp boats in their area and now there are only like 1 and 2.
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 12-18-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Rabbit-man if you read the article you would see and understand that flounder apparently migrate up and down the South Atlantic Coast from state-to-state. South Carolina flounder are not limited solely to our Waters. There within mail I part of the answer you were looking for.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Cali, I got you. I wonder how much shrimping gets done on American waters anymore. If you buy frozen shrimp from any store it's all from Asia. It seems to me that shrimpers and trawlers in American waters are probably a lot less than they used to be. Unless you drive to the shrimp boat dock personally, they only way to find "local shrimp" is to find a 90's model ford ranger on the side of the road with 4 or 5 cooler in the back with a cardboard sign that says local shrimp.

Isn't the sc shrimp boat fleet getting smaller and smaller? If this is the case, why are flounder numbers going down? Wouldn't they be going up? I hear from locals when I'm at the coast there there used to be all the shrimp boats in their area and now there are only like 1 and 2.
    Believe it or not, shem creek IS NOT the center of the shrimping universe.

Default Flounder study....

Cali, I got you. I wonder how much shrimping gets done on American waters anymore. If you buy frozen shrimp from any store it's all from Asia. It seems to me that shrimpers and trawlers in American waters are probably a lot less than they used to be. Unless you drive to the shrimp boat dock personally, they only way to find "local shrimp" is to find a 90's model ford ranger on the side of the road with 4 or 5 cooler in the back with a cardboard sign that says local shrimp.
    Most flounder come from NC. The most fucked up fishery in the south.

https://www.carolinasportsman.com/fi...ers-in-august/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by led0321; 12-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Believe it or not, shem creek IS NOT the center of the shrimping universe.
    You saved me from typing that.
    Anyone that gets outside an inlet sees the shrimpers from Fla, Ga, Va , the NE and the Gulf all right off our beaches
    and its just not shrimpers, it long liners, net reels and a long list of others.
    I am a pretty decent gigger, and these folks that say they "load the boat several nights a week" must be world class.
    Like, Cali said, I like the peace and quiet and we like to see the bottom life, the horseshoe crabs, the rays, and such.
    Usually take kids so they can see the world underneath......its really not a "load up" thing for us. We take a few and eat everyone.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-18-2019 at 04:08 PM.

I rented a house from a guy in Atlantic Beach NC a few years ago. He was in the seafood distribution industry an he could have been lying to me but I don’t know why he would have been. He told me a commercial gigger stays in his house certain times through the year and gigs over 500 flounder a night. I don’t see how that’s possible but that’s what he told me.

I don’t believe that shit. Also let me say this I bet strikers make up a very small percentage of the fishing population. While it may be a problem it probably is just a small piece of the problem.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Drop it to 3 per day and it don't matter how da fuk you kill em!

And, if you say 3 per day ain't enough.....then go the fuk home or become a better angler so you can keep your 3 reds and 10 trout per day!

i say 5 per day w a 10 boat limit. most i know dont go all the time and eat what they take

I mainly fish for flounder and trout. I only catch salt carp by accident while flounder fishing. Most of the time I let them go. If I’m in a tournament then I’ll keep them alive then release in my pond. I use to be able to go out and catch 15+ keeper size flounder a day. Lately I’m lucky to catch 5 descent fish. I just hope whatever they decide to do helps.
    867-5309

Agree, a limit is a limit

Size limit keeps going up. Males rarely grow over 14". Keep pushing size limit up and guarantee everyone's only keeping females. If a limit is changed, I'd like to see it creel 5/ min size 14". Whoever invents a by catch extractor is gonna make bank.