Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flounder study....

Old gigging ain’t the problem, when the lake invaded the marsh in the summer evenings the problem came.
    cut\'em

A lower boat limit because it will limit hammering the resource.

I catch a fair amount of flounder and the only times I've come in a limit range is either sticking them offshore or under the lights inshore.

More people fishing, gut hooks, and poaching small fish will always be an additional burden to the resource.
    Last edited by scdiver; 12-17-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Absolutely it is and I love striking!
    The limits will be dropped....
    I gig and just don't see that many others doing it when I am out there.
    Sure I see a few boats but I also know many come back to the dock with zero.
    I think the trawlers kill thousands of baby flounder as by catch. I have seen it first hand.
    That was my thought when I posted. I think gigging is a pimple on the ass of this problem and
    not anywhere near the root cause.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I gig and just don't see that many others doing it when I am out there.
    Sure I see a few boats but I also know many come back to the dock with zero.
    I think the trawlers kill thousands of baby flounder as by catch. I have seen it first hand.
    That was my thought when I posted. I think gigging is a pimple on the ass of this problem and
    not anywhere near the root cause.
    There is obviously greater concern than just gigging but.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I wonder how much of the problem is because of NC and their use of gill nets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I wonder how much of the problem is because of NC and their use of gill nets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you should see the amount of dead baby flounder they toss back

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    There is obviously greater concern than just gigging but.....
    No I get your point, its a collaborative approach to help them.

I gig maybe once a month. We are selective and only stab larger fish, the exception is when we bring a kid and the first legal fish gets stuck. You ever been on a shrimp boat off bulls bay? you ever seen the amount of by catch that gets thrown out? Dont get me wrong, I love shrimp but those trawlers murder baby fish. I dont know what the answer is but I feel my fish are a drop in the bucket. Yes as a gigger I am biased about the sport. I personally think way more outside of slot redfish get stuck than flounders due to how long a redfish wont sit around in the light.
    JT
    Politicians and diapers must be changed often. And for the same reason.

I think what everybody is saying is the evidence points more toward the shrimp boats,.....but nobody want to quit eating shrimp.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I don't gig but I have no problem with how a fish is killed, but it seems to me the limits are more of a thing than how the fish ends up in the yeti.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

No I get your point, its a collaborative approach to help them.
    I love a good night on the boat striking just as much as the next man. But, our flounder limits are way too liberal and definitely need to be adjusted. I don't know what you do about trawler bycatch but that is probably the biggest issue facing Marine game Fish recruitment in my opinion.
    These menhaden that's a probably an even greater problem as they are targeting quite possibly the most important pray I don't know what you do about trailer by catch but that is probably the biggest issue facing Marine game fish recruitment in my opinion. These menhaden nets are probably an even greater problem as they are targeting quite possibly the most important prey in our estuaries during the summer.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

This
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Just curious. I hear from people several times a year about how few shrimp boats we still have working in sc. If this is the case, how come the flounder numbers are going down now? Wouldn't they be on the rise with less and less trawlers out there?

I personally know of several different people that load up a boat 2-3 nights a week gigging. Gigging ain’t helping matters by any means.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    I personally know of several different people that load up a boat 2-3 nights a week gigging. Gigging ain’t helping matters by any means.
    Exactly. Rod and reel fisherman ain't "limiting out". They might have good days fishing but are weeding through shorts to get a few fish to eat. The damn giggers are strait raping them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Exactly. Rod and reel fisherman ain't "limiting out". They might have good days fishing but are weeding through shorts to get a few fish to eat. The damn giggers are strait raping them!
    And how do you know that?

Rod and reel fisherman are doing it for the fun and to keep a few to eat. Giggers are looking for that facebook/instagram photo or where they can hashtag #limits. I see it a lot in the summer. You give those googans a rod and reel and they would be lucky to come back to the dock with one.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    And how do you know that?
    Cause I some hard hitting, leather faced, old school, down and dirty minner draggers, that's why!

I gig a fair amount during the summer months. That said, anyone who tries to argue that gigging under light doesn't give a significant advantage over rod and reel fishing is an idiot. The problem is a combination of trawl nets and gigging IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFlip View Post
    I gig a fair amount during the summer months. That said, anyone who tries to argue that gigging under light doesn't give a significant advantage over rod and reel fishing is an idiot. The problem is a combination of trawl nets and gigging IMO.
    so adjust the limit. doesn't matter how you get them. I would never suggest outlawing this BUT, if you took away generators and trolling motors the striking numbers would go down.
    Last edited by drwilly; 12-18-2019 at 11:00 AM.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston