Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flounder study....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Flounder study....

http://sccoastalresources.com/home/2...umbers-are-low

"because southern flounder in the south Atlantic all belong to one population – flounder are a migratory species that may travel across state lines throughout their lives."
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Save the flounder!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Outlaw gigging and make the daily limit 3 per person per day. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Outlaw gigging.
    dumbest shit I've read on scducks in a while and that's saying something.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    Outlaw gigging and make the daily limit 3 per person per day. Problem solved.

THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I don't gig but I have no problem with how a fish is killed, but it seems to me the limits are more of a thing than how the fish ends up in the yeti.

My biggest problem with gigging is most that gig them could not catch them with hook and line so they want to do it this way and since they are out at night they GIG EVERYTHING and every size. Not saying all do this but a lot of them do . Know plenty of guys that have said they tie burlap sacks to crab buoys to make sure not over the limit or under size fish

Yes if done correctly I see no problem but it seems to temp a lot of folks after that 3rd or 4th beer. Damn shame I look at it this way I know but just my thoughts on it. I know there are a lot of great guys that gig and do it by the book and rules so they end up punished for those lawless POS’s that do it

Maybe if they lowered the limit to 3 per boat it may solve the issue regardless
    Last edited by tprice; 12-19-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    THIS

My biggest problem with gigging is most that gig them could not catch them with hook and line so they want to do it this way and since they are out at night they GIG EVERYTHING and every size. Not saying all do this but a lot of them do . Know plenty of guys that have said they tie burlap sacks to crab buoys to make sure not over the limit or under size fish

Yes if done correctly I see no problem but it seems to temp a lot of folks after that 3rd or 4th beer. Damn shame I look at it this way I know but just my thoughts on it. I know there are a lot of great guys that gig and do it by the book and rules so they end up punished for those lawless POS’s that do it

Maybe if they lowered the limit to 3 per boat it may solve the issue regardless
    not all gun owners are bad but some are. we should ban guns bc of the bad ones. same logic you used in your ban gigging opinion. as w guns and flounder, enforce the rules that are in place. maybe reduce the limit reasonably.

it's insane to me the number of people on here that think more govt control and regulation is the answer to everything

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    not all gun owners are bad but some are. we should ban guns bc of the bad ones. same logic you used in your ban gigging opinion. as w guns and flounder, enforce the rules that are in place. maybe reduce the limit reasonably.

it's insane to me the number of people on here that think more govt control and regulation is the answer to everything
    I understand your comments completely Just to me, and I used to gig for them years ago, is like shooting fish in a barrel I know it is harder than that BUT just my thoughts

End of day increase min size limit and reduce total limit is about all that can be done and hopefully it will work

End of day increase min size limit and reduce total limit is about all that can be done and hopefully it will work
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post

He's using the same logic that our state used to ban turkey hunting with rifles. It's too easy and drains the resource.

THIS

My biggest problem with gigging is most that gig them could not catch them with hook and line so they want to do it this way and since they are out at night they GIG EVERYTHING and every size. Know plenty of guys that have said they tie burlap sacks to crab buoys to make sure not over the limit or under size fish
    Bull shit and I prefer info and decisions to be based on data and not hearsay and emotion, but that's just me.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-19-2019 at 04:07 PM.

3 per person is a little low imo
    7 is a good number with a boat limit of 21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flopduster View Post
    3 per person is a little low imo
    7 is a good number with a boat limit of 21

A 20 inch fish will feed about three people. 3 of them is plenty. If you need more meat, keep some redfish.

And outlaw gigging or make gigging limit 3

You seriously think gigging is a problem?
    Geeez

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    You seriously think gigging is a problem?
    Geeez
    Absolutely it is and I love striking!
    The limits will be dropped....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Absolutely it is and I love striking!
    The limits will be dropped....
    I gig and just don't see that many others doing it when I am out there.
    Sure I see a few boats but I also know many come back to the dock with zero.
    I think the trawlers kill thousands of baby flounder as by catch. I have seen it first hand.
    That was my thought when I posted. I think gigging is a pimple on the ass of this problem and
    not anywhere near the root cause.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I gig and just don't see that many others doing it when I am out there.
    Sure I see a few boats but I also know many come back to the dock with zero.
    I think the trawlers kill thousands of baby flounder as by catch. I have seen it first hand.
    That was my thought when I posted. I think gigging is a pimple on the ass of this problem and
    not anywhere near the root cause.
    There is obviously greater concern than just gigging but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    There is obviously greater concern than just gigging but.....
    No I get your point, its a collaborative approach to help them.