Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen this?

Default Has anyone seen this?

https://coastalobserver.com/baruch-f...nd-ricefields/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes, there is currently a deal working that won't encroach on public access to the waterways, marshes and that area between low and high tide.

Kings grant should be dead in this state per the Revolutionary War.

http://www.scencyclopedia.org/sce/en...land-granting/
    Genesis 9;2

SC Code Sec. 48-39-220 requires that the putative owner of tidelands sue the State to determine that their title is superior to the State. That requires a plat showing the land down to low water and an unbroken chain of title either from the Sovereign or the State.

So, if you ever encounter one of those Yankees that says you cannot pole across their tidal flat because they are paying taxes on it, ask them for a copy of their Court order adjudicating their interest in tidelands to be paramount to the State.
    DILLIGAF

Yankees or not, if you’re paying the tax bill then it should be yours to do with as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Yankees or not, if you’re paying the tax bill then it should be yours to do with as you see fit.
    What you need is a good Yankee Home Owners Association Board Member to come by and explain why you are WRONG, Or she will put a lein on your mortgage.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    What you need is a good Yankee Home Owners Association Board Member to come by and explain why you are WRONG, Or she will put a lein on your mortgage.
    If I joined a HOA, then I deserve to have some Yankee telling me what to do.

If I joined a HOA, then I deserve to have some Yankee telling me what to do.
    No problems with my HOA.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Congrats.

Congrats.
    We don't let Yankees on the board.....or respond to the requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

I don’t let folks that don’t pay my mortgage or my taxes tell me what color I can paint my mailbox.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Who paints a mailbox??

Senator Stephen Goldfinch is fighting this fight and many others for the sake of ensuring us continued public access. He does more for the outdoorsman in SC than any other politician I'm aware of.

OCRM would say otherwise.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

Our board is filled with them, they’ve threatened me will all sorts of shit like a lien. I offered to pay for the last one just so I could bleed them dry on attorney fees. Still haven’t seen it nor had an issue with them since. Now, board members have resigned in mass and they don’t have enough to make decisions or anything else. Had one old lady come tell me it was my duty to sign this and appointment a proxy, nope it’s my duty to inform you you’re trespassing and to just leave me alone.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    OCRM would say otherwise.
    I’m sure they would, but it goes against all that is American.

I had the local government try to tell me I couldn’t have but so many covered sq. ft. on my property. I laughed.

So what happens if they win? Can we no longer fish in the grass on flood tides? Will they gate off Jones creek and no man's friend? What will be next?

Baruch used to post all of the North Inlet marshes (from Debordieu to the bay, and west of Jones. Yawkey owned the seaward side of Jones. If you're bored, look at the marsh along North Island on Google Earth. You can faintly see remnant dikes from ancient duck impoundments.) There were posted signs all over the place. They said "No Hunting, Fishing, or Trespassing". It was all opened up to public use, including hunting, around 1970. I'm not sure what the reason was for the change. But, regardless, adverse possession runs against private landowners, not the state. Baruch Foundation is a private entity. So, if they haven't enforced their rights in 50 years, I imagine they will have a hard time avoiding public use, even if they are able to establish title.
    Last edited by GMAC; 12-19-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GMAC View Post
    Baruch used to post all of the North Inlet marshes (from Debordieu to the bay, and west of Jones. Yawkey owned the seaward side of Jones. If you're bored, look at the marsh along North Island on Google Earth. You can faintly see remnant dikes from ancient duck impoundments.) There were posted signs all over the place. They said "No Hunting, Fishing, or Trespassing". It was all opened up to public use, including hunting, around 1970. .
    How many ducks did those marshes overwinter then?

How many ducks do those marshes overwinter now?

Wasn't there also a property line dispute between them and another family where the deed said run of the creek and the creek run changed quite a bit over time?

Many. Few. Your point is well taken, but of course, it's a bit more complicated. Winyah Bay has always been hunted, yet wintered substantial numbers of canvasback even into the 80s. Some public use is sustainable. But not with the level of population growth and development we have seen. And those things impact private property as well.