Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSS Blended Waterfowl Loads

Quote Originally Posted by dox08 View Post
    I’ve shot the steel stacked loads and been really impressed so far. Migra has a steel/tungsten 2/5 load out as well but a bit pricey. Check them out.

Attachment 51986
    got to hunt with the first run of this stuff last year in Oklahoma, it knocks bird down deader than shit

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    I started shooting Hevi Bismuth #4's this year and they are getting it done very nicely. The attractive aspect of Bismuth is it patterns pretty consistently and I get great patterns with a Briley Light Full choke.

Some other advice to improve your consistency - Get a lesson from a qualified instructor and go practice the things you were taught. The shooter is the weakest link.
    The Hevi Bismuth has patterned well? I have been hesitant to try it with how horrible Hevi X did. I have always had good luck with Kent so I was going that route, but if the Hevi Bismuth is worth the cost, unlike Hevi X, then I always like options. Thanks!
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    The Hevi Bismuth has patterned well? I have been hesitant to try it with how horrible Hevi X did. I have always had good luck with Kent so I was going that route, but if the Hevi Bismuth is worth the cost, unlike Hevi X, then I always like options. Thanks!
    Kent makes bismuth
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I also patterned Hevi X and it was total shit. Had a lot a wounded birds the first time I tried it which prompted me to run a few patterns.

The Hevi Bismuth patterned much better for me. Which is all I'm shooting now. The Kent Bismuth did equally as well. I've got a couple boxes of Rio Bismuth to try out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Kent makes bismuth
    They load Bismuth

https://kentcartridge.com/us/shotshe...owl-shotshells
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

I also patterned Hevi X and it was total shit. Had a lot a wounded birds the first time I tried it which prompted me to run a few patterns.

The Hevi Bismuth patterned much better for me. Which is all I'm shooting now. The Kent Bismuth did equally as well. I've got a couple boxes of Rio Bismuth to try out as well.
    Awesome I will try the Hevi, Kent, and Rio. Thanks!

Some other advice to improve your consistency - Get a lesson from a qualified instructor and go practice the things you were taught. The shooter is the weakest link.
    You know a good qualified instructor? Monte and I will be calling soon...

In the meantime, bismuth works like a champ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunning Bird View Post
    You know a good qualified instructor? Monte and I will be calling soon...

In the meantime, bismuth works like a champ...
    I know a guy.

Boss is pushing the crap out of the #5's. I got 3" and the smallest they went was #4's. They are copper coated bismuth. They are bad. When you price it per shell, they are cheaper than heavy x.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Ordered some Hevi Bismuth 20 ga 1-1/8 oz 4s to try off Gander’s recommendation. Stepped off 25 steps and shot free hand through a modified factory choke. Ranged it after at 27 yards. Pretty happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ordered some Hevi Bismuth 20 ga 1-1/8 oz 4s to try off Gander’s recommendation. Stepped off 25 steps and shot free hand through a modified factory choke. Ranged it after at 27 yards. Pretty happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Hevishot Bismuth is a lethal shotgun shell. We have been using it in NE Arkansas this season
    with super results. Very very few cripples

Quote Originally Posted by CUfisherman View Post
    Thanks for responses.

No problem with heavy metal that I’m shooting now but it looks like they changed the formula. I have been shooting a case I got two years ago and now it’s only the “extended range” so I’m going to have to change no matter what I decide.

Yes I have patterned the load I shoot now but again looks like it’s changed.

If going bismuth what shot size would you recommend?
    My setup didn't like the new "Longer Range" either.. I changed from LM to Mod and it improved.

gun 2.JPG
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 01-15-2020 at 11:50 AM.

YBTX--you mind if I copy your spreadsheet set up?

I pattern guns on the reg and that is pure gold right there. Very informative and concise.

If you are standing to pattern, but using a vertical rest like, say, a telephone pole or window frame, can you make the "notes" section larger to better explain that set up? And what kind of run rest do you prefer? I'm not exactly sure the options.

Thanks in advance!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Never updated this thread. Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up buying a case of the Migra stacked 2 steel and 5 tungsten loads. Expensive but again only plan on using them on out of state hunts or when I have a chance at something different than my normal wood duck beaver pond shoots.

I "patterned" them and the coverage was very similiar to my hevi metals I currently shoot. I shot free hand at 40 yards through modified and full chokes. I'm sure my shooting variance was a much bigger factor than the shells performance.

Went on the outerbanks trip and first day we hunted out of a scissor rig in a decent chop. Shot a bunch of buffelheads. After the first two I stoned the guide asked me what shells I was using. Told him and he said yah I can tell those are doing some damage. Know that isn't scientific but enouh vindication for me. Later he laughed at us missing all day but at least it started good.

... but if the Hevi Bismuth is worth the cost, unlike Hevi X, then I always like options. Thanks!
    It's simple science. Denser the metal the pellet is made of, harder it's gonna hit and higher chances of a clean kill at any range, requiring zero kill shots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft