Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSS Blended Waterfowl Loads

Default TSS Blended Waterfowl Loads

Going to Outerbanks for a trip soon and looking for some shells for the trip. Guide mentioned shooting steel 1s and 2s at the smallest. I am almost out of my hevy metal 3s and doing some research saw the federal black cloud TSS blended loads.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Paying a good bit for hunt so don’t mind spending some more money on some better shells.

Also saw black clouds on sale and rebate from Rogers. I used some a while ago but seems they changed the wad for different chokes.

Thanks for help and some links below.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...oz-1450fps-3-9

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fe-pwbx142-ii

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.co...qty-10-per-box

Take a look at Boss shells. Been shooting it out of my 20ga this season on mallards and specklebellies and I’m impressed.
    1 1/8 oz #5
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Take a look at Boss shells. Been shooting it out of my 20ga this season on mallards and specklebellies and I’m impressed.
    1 1/8 oz #5
    This... When you order just remember there are 20 in a box or 200 in a case. I just got some #5's in 20.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

FYI: when it says it's 60% TSS and 40% steel, that's not by volume or weight, it's by pellet count. These are the results I got from a box of the 3" #3 steel x #9 TSS. There's right at 3/4oz of steel #3 and 1/2oz of TSS. I haven't shot anything with the shells yet though. Hope this help.
    Last edited by tman; 12-17-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I’ve shot the steel stacked loads and been really impressed so far. Migra has a steel/tungsten 2/5 load out as well but a bit pricey. Check them out.

B8C91AD8-9A73-46CC-B057-C022ADEF2588.jpg
    Last edited by dox08; 12-17-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    "run and gun guide service"

Whatever happened to just shooting blue box Federals? They've never let me down and at a fraction of the cost of other shells.

Quote Originally Posted by CUfisherman View Post
    Guide mentioned shooting steel 1s and 2s at the smallest.
    This is competent advice. I also recommend the #1s.

received_291505105101819.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Going to Outerbanks for a trip soon and looking for some shells for the trip. Guide mentioned shooting steel 1s and 2s at the smallest. I am almost out of my hevy metal 3s and doing some research saw the federal black cloud TSS blended loads.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Paying a good bit for hunt so don’t mind spending some more money on some better shells.

Also saw black clouds on sale and rebate from Rogers. I used some a while ago but seems they changed the wad for different chokes.

Thanks for help and some links below.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...oz-1450fps-3-9

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fe-pwbx142-ii

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.co...qty-10-per-box
    Have you patterned any of these loads through your gun?
    I shot hevi metal for awhile and had good results. I switched guns and decided to mess around patterning a few loads. Hevi metal patterned like shit for me. Kent fast steel was significantly better at a lower cost. That made it an easy decision both performance and cost wise.
    If the round is patterning well, and you put the bird in the kill zone, you don’t need expensive ass ammo. Was in Canada in October and cant even remember what I bought, some off brand I had never used as that was what was available. Also had no problem killing multiple species of ducks and geese with 3 inch #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

I have to ask, what's wrong with Hevi Metal? Is there a problem with what you are currently shooting?

Are the ducks in the Outer Banks that much tougher to kill?
    Last edited by Gander; 12-17-2019 at 07:29 AM.

another thread on shotgun shells.
    another chance to pattern your gun.

serenity now!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks for responses.

No problem with heavy metal that I’m shooting now but it looks like they changed the formula. I have been shooting a case I got two years ago and now it’s only the “extended range” so I’m going to have to change no matter what I decide.

Yes I have patterned the load I shoot now but again looks like it’s changed.

If going bismuth what shot size would you recommend?

The new Hevimetal shoots about like last years hevimetal

You need to be focused on important stuff like garment choice and telling everyone how dry you stay in waxed cotton

I think the "what's wrong with daddy's steel loads" are kind of funny. You spend thousands on gear and hundreds of hours scouting/hunting, why not spend a little extra on the product that actually kills the bird? Now if someone offered data that shows that the fancy loads are no more effective than steel, I would understand the argument. Is it true that well patterned steel will kill a duck at under 35 yards just as well as Bismuth/TSS/[pick your poison], probably. However, wouldn't you want that extra edge just in case your shot isn't perfect that turns a wounded/lost bird into a found/killed bird? Just my three cents.
    Carolina Counsel

I’ve killed a lot of ducks at the OBX. Never needed anything but #3 steel. The hardest thing to kill up there is a Scoter and it worked fine on them. I killed the only Eider I’ve ever seen , and a couple of Brants up there with 3’s. I’ve only killed a few puddlers up there. The majority is bluebill, redheads and buffleheads. They’re not smart and will work in range if you’ll let them. Shoot whatever you’re confident in, but you don’t need super shells to kill those ducks.

Is there a reason not to be paying attention to SW? If so, I can't think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I think the "what's wrong with daddy's steel loads" are kind of funny. You spend thousands on gear and hundreds of hours scouting/hunting, why not spend a little extra on the product that actually kills the bird? Now if someone offered data that shows that the fancy loads are no more effective than steel, I would understand the argument. Is it true that well patterned steel will kill a duck at under 35 yards just as well as Bismuth/TSS/[pick your poison], probably. However, wouldn't you want that extra edge just in case your shot isn't perfect that turns a wounded/lost bird into a found/killed bird? Just my three cents.
    Well said. He didn't ask for opinions on fasteel and Xperts. Go be poor somewhere else....

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Is there a reason not to be paying attention to SW? If so, I can't think of one.
    Absolutely none.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

If going bismuth what shot size would you recommend?
    1 3/8 Or 1 1/2 oz of bismuth #4s.

What Tman said above.

I started shooting Hevi Bismuth #4's this year and they are getting it done very nicely. The attractive aspect of Bismuth is it patterns pretty consistently and I get great patterns with a Briley Light Full choke.

Some other advice to improve your consistency - Get a lesson from a qualified instructor and go practice the things you were taught. The shooter is the weakest link.