Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Discuss

Quote Originally Posted by dubs View Post
    Here is what I don't understand.

Cancer research, diseases, vaccines, air planes, boats, posi track on a hemi, rifles, scopes, ammunition, NASCAR for pete's sake. I could go on and on and on. All of these things are only possible because of SCIENCE and our continuous research into the world around us. So we love us some science and reap the benefits of it ALL THE TIME.

But, in the case of climate change, SCIENCE is completely full of shit? There is no doubt that the climate was changing long before humans. It will continue to change long after we are gone. But, I think you would have a hard time finding a scientist out there who wouldn't agree that humans have had some level of an effect on the natural forces that dictate the global climate. To what extent is that effect? That is certainly debatable. Can we take any realistic steps to mitigate things? That is debatable as well. But to outright deny that humans have had ANY effect on our natural world is ignorant at best.
    Science isn't this thing that exist in a state free from manipulation somewhere that spits out data and technology for us to use. I have no problem with the discipline of science. I love it, in fact. True science isn't afraid of being challenged. In fact it welcomes it and says "Please, prove me right or wrong. Challenge me." But that's not what we have now. We have universities fighting for funding. Government fighting for control over us through fear, legislation and taxation. We have corporations doing their own non peer reviewed studies (see! cigarettes are safe! My kids love 'em!) to protect their share holders and bottom lines. All three have weaponized "science" to further their own agenda and influence our lives. So we can either be blindly trusting and wind up like the poor folks in Tuskeegee during the syphilis studies or we can scoff at everything and burn tires, environment be damned.

I, like you, think the answers are in the middle. But to find them who are we to trust? Politicians (R and D both cannot be trusted)? The corporations? The universities working on private grants?

It's tragic. Scientist, politicians, doctors and a host of others have lost their Aesculapian authority because they have abused it and lost the trust of the people. We're left with no leaders. None. Government on local, state and national level is a joke. Education is a joke. Whom are we to believe? I wish I knew the answer.
    Last edited by Glenn; 12-17-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Integrity is a thing of the past. Across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I have no problem with the discipline of science. I love it, in fact. True science isn't afraid of being challenged. In fact it welcomes it and says "Please, prove me right or wrong. Challenge me."
    A great example is Dr. Al Goodyear here in South Carolina. He excavated the chert mine at Savannah River. When he found layers of civilization 10's of thousands of years older than the established norm for human existence in North America, he was not only ostracized, but shut out of the scientific community. Why? Because we can't have anyone out there saying humanity didn't start in sub Saharan Africa now can we?

Science has become a politicized game and it is sickening.

They can’t be wrong. Lol.

Ausculapian? seriously?

al goodyear is a hoot.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Ausculapian? seriously?

al goodyear is a hoot.
    Typo corrected. Thank you.

Where is Bill Nye the science guy on this. How about Mr. KnozIt on this. They probably have this all figured out by now.

What could we have done to save the dinosaurs? Could humans have reversed the climate change then? Granted, some today play the changes on humans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once apon a time ice was a mile thick all the way down to Missouri. Wonder how it melted without cars and airplanes?

Get China and India to sign up on the reform and then we will follow.

Or pass a law stopping all government funding for scientific research. Climate change will disappear faster than a Clemson fan after a clemsoning.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-17-2019 at 05:03 PM.

These children have been indoctrinated on bad science since they were in kindergarten. You can hardly blame them for being stupid when we allowed it.

Still, they are stupid or is it just ignorant?

None of it is real science. Just an unproven theory with financial backing.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    These children have been indoctrinated on bad science since they were in kindergarten. You can hardly blame them for being stupid when we allowed it.

Still, they are stupid or is it just ignorant?
    I think the same could be said of previous generations....
    Formerly DM88

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Where is Bill Nye the science guy on this. How about Mr. KnozIt on this. They probably have this all figured out by now.
    Bring back Johnny Acorn

Don't know if this was posted but thought it was a good point.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965