Thread: Keys over Christmas

Default Keys over Christmas

We rented a house in Marathon over Christmas week with another family. I plan on taking my 22ft bay boat down there. I know absolutely zero about catching fish in that area. I've only been down there once for a few days, and we didn't have a boat or mess with any fish other than feeding the tarpon at Robbie's.

Any suggestions on areas to try? Bait / rigs to use? What to fish for this time of year? Do I need to buy an area specific map for my GPS unit, or can I stay out of trouble without it? I'd like to put some fish on the table for dinner, but if we all we catch are crevalle jacks, that will probably keep most of the folks happy.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Snapper is easy and a quick target fish to catch
    Chum bag and live bait and the action is pretty solid.

Remember to use circle hooks with live bait.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Fish outgoing tide around the bridges. Should be able to catch a few grouper and snapper.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Pick up a paper Hotspot map at the Offshore Outfitters in Islamorada. It'll be good enough to keep you out of trouble and help you find spots.

Stop in the Tackle Box, in Marathon and they will hook you up with everything you need. They are very helpful and a great source of knowledge. I would make sure your chart plotter is relatively up to date b/c you can go from 30' of water to 20" of water real quick down there. Fish out front for yellow tails and if you think you have enough chum.....double it and then head out. Make sure to stop by the light house down there.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

You couldn't pay me to go to the keys between Christmas and New years anymore, much less drive... That being said I highly suggest driving the boat in the dead of night and utilize the turnpike.

I'll see if I can dig up all the stuff that I sent to Justin for his trip down there a couple years ago... Make sure you bring a wide variety of tackle/rigs as you will most likely be limited by the winds that time of year.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-12-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Heck yeah use the turnpike. Especially if you got a trailer with no tag.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    You couldn't pay me to go to the keys between Christmas and New years anymore, much less drive... That being said I highly suggest driving the boat in the dead of night and utilize the turnpike.
    I thought of that, and I thought of just renting a boat down there, but I'm taking mine. Planning on leaving SC about 2:00 am. Still going to suck, though.

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Heck yeah use the turnpike. Especially if you got a trailer with no tag.
    Yeah, what's the deal with that? Are cops dicks about not having tagged trailers even though it's not required here?
    Last edited by wob; 12-12-2019 at 01:18 PM.

How about crab traps off of the dock?

Have a great time, it will be a good experience.

We have pulled our 24 down there twice. The drive isn’t bad but make sure you have a few spare tires and possibly a hub. I also bought a permanent tag for my trailer, just for FL.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Locals say if boat is not strapped down in back they will write you a ticket.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Sounds like a lovely place.

Bridges are good spots if you can't go offshore, inshore was loaded with fish my last trip down at Christmas time, even caught a big bonefish. Reds, trout and juvy cudas in the grass flats and grouper/snapper in the deeper ditches near the flats. I caught everything on a 1/4 oz red head jig with grubs, just like inshore SC.
    Plenty of sails in sight of land- slow troll live hoo you can catch yourself.
    Awesome place.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I thought of that, and I thought of just renting a boat down there, but I'm taking mine. Planning on leaving SC about 2:00 am. Still going to suck, though.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? Are cops dicks about not having tagged trailers even though it's not required here?
    You want to be going through S Fla between 11 and 4. I would leave around 3pm
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post

I drove around for a while with no trailer tag and never had any trouble. But the reason I said what I said was because the turnpike is a toll road. They bill you by your license tag..... no visible tag, no toll cost haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tman; 12-13-2019 at 09:23 PM.