Thread: Protect your horses from hogs?

Default Protect your horses from hogs?

GREENVILLE, SC (FOX Carolina) – SLED revealed on Wednesday that a joint investigation involving multiple law enforcement agencies revealed wild boars were behind several attacks on horses in the Upstate area.

“The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office, Spartanburg County Sheriff’s Office, Spartanburg County Environmental Enforcement Division, Polk County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina and SLED have concluded based on evidence that the possible horse attacks are results of altercations with wild boars in the area,” a news release stated.

SLED said the investigation involved five incidents that took place within a four-week span across both Greenville and Spartanburg counties.

“Animal tracks consistent with hogs, video evidence and the sighting of boars in the area support the conclusion,” SLED’s news release stated. “The S.C. Department of Natural Recourses (DNR) and several veterinary professionals were consulted and assisted in the investigation.”

One case in involving a horse that was shot is still being investigated as its own separate incident. That shooting took place in Greenville County.

“While all of these incidents were extremely unfortunate, I am very thankful for the men and women who worked tirelessly to investigate these cases,” said Greenville County Sheriff Johnny Mack Brown in the news release “In addition, I want to convey to our community members that our agency has and will continue to patrol these rural areas to ensure our citizens and their respective animals are safe and secure and for them to know that we have an active open channel of communication for anyone who has questions or concerns.”

https://www.foxcarolina.com/investig...61f45e35c.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what kind of mules they are running down there, but every mule that I have ever been involved with would stomp that hog into hash...

On Thursday, SLED released pictures that show some of the evidence they collected.

To see those pictures, click here. (WARNING: Images may be disturbing to some people)

The S.C. Department of Natural Resources and several veterinary professionals were consulted and assisted in the investigation.

According to SLED, an investigation into a horse shooting last month in Greenville County remains under investigation and is separate and not connected to this investigation.

“While all of these incidents were extremely unfortunate, I am very thankful for the men and women who worked tirelessly to investigate these cases,” said Greenville County Sheriff Johnny Mack Brown.

“In addition, I want to convey to our community members that our agency has and will continue to patrol these rural areas to ensure our citizens and their respective animals are safe and secure and for them to know that we have an active open channel of communication for anyone who has questions or concerns.”

According to SLED, the population of wild boars in the area has significantly increased in the last several years.

To help control the increasing population of wild boars, DNR has authorized hunting during the day and night of these animals with special permit. Information about the growing wild boar problem and recommendations for management and control is available on DNR’s website, click here to visit.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/sled-r...tacks/30210892

A guy on the news this morning made it sound like the horse was "curious" and leaned down to sniff the hog and said hog gashed him up.

Llamas are tough on predators also. We had one fight off three large dogs without a scratch on any of our goats.

Must be some big hogs to be gashing up a horses face.

If the person talking the pic of hog would of shot the hog. This investigation would be over and thousands of dollars would of been saved. You got Sled, sheriffs, DNR all involved. How many calves are killed by coyotes yearly? Not one outcry from the cattlemen but one horse gets a little cut and the horse people go into a frenzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed Tim. I got an uncle with a bunch of beef cattle. He said coyotes never mess with the calves because the mother will not let them. Anyone heard of farmers missing calves due to coyotes? I thought it would certainly be a problem. He says no.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    If the person talking the pic of hog would of shot the hog. This investigation would be over and thousands of dollars would of been saved. You got Sled, sheriffs, DNR all involved. How many calves are killed by coyotes yearly? Not one outcry from the cattlemen but one horse gets a little cut and the horse people go into a frenzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, they are horse people.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

One of my high school teachers told me about a big boar hog they had that ripped open their mule's belly with one swipe and completely disemboweled him. His guts just dropped to the ground. My teacher's dad went out and grabbed the hog by the back leg and busted his tusks off with a claw hammer.

Years ago, a friend of mine's uncle asked us to help him with a cow that was down in his pasture. She was in labor and had three little hooves sticking out. The little hooves and her utters had been torn and chewed by coyotes during the previous night. We hooked a choker chain to the hooves and pulled stillborn twins out of the poor cow with my ATV. We managed to get her back on her feet and she recovered.

Mother nature can be a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Agreed Tim. I got an uncle with a bunch of beef cattle. He said coyotes never mess with the calves because the mother will not let them. Anyone heard of farmers missing calves due to coyotes? I thought it would certainly be a problem. He says no.
    Well the herds of cattle next door over the years have never been taught that because calves and sometimes birthing cows get killed every year. I'm sure there's an age at which it gets tough for the coyotes to kill one, but young calves seem to be a favorite food.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    born and raised in a farm with horses.....I've been hunting boars on horse for approx. 18 years....5 horses died so far, including 1 last year.... But never ever seen a boar reaching out to horse face..Its always the legs or belly....With experience i can tell you horses sense the danger like a dog and are extremely vicious .... This is not a boar because the tusk is like a hook it rips apart not only flesh but bones too especially when there less flesh on the bone like the horse face

I'll take hogs any day, over the wolves and griz that people have to deal with daily out west.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus View Post
    born and raised in a farm with horses.....I've been hunting boars on horse for approx. 18 years....5 horses died so far, including 1 last year.... But never ever seen a boar reaching out to horse face..Its always the legs or belly....With experience i can tell you horses sense the danger like a dog and are extremely vicious .... This is not a boar because the tusk is like a hook it rips apart not only flesh but bones too especially when there less flesh on the bone like the horse face
    Bro, they actually got this attack on video.
    Windows Down!