Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: school me on these gadgets please

Is that “trib it” speaker moisture resistant?

Skynet.

Alexa creeps me out, always listening, makes me more nervous than Mergie away from Q and tin foil.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

A buddy at work had one until he was awakened at 0200 to a creepy voice asking “Would you like to hear a joke?”. It has been removed since then he said.
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I'm not saying there isn't a risk with these devices but if you have a modern smart phone and don't think the same listening is happening as well as your cyber footprint (browser searches, social media, etc.) then you are just being naïve. Do these add an additional avenue for risk and insertion into your privacy, yes but don't disregard the breach that has already occurred with geotracking and smart phones.

I agree, but with a smartphone you can watch youtube, read interesting articles about guns, and/or look at tittes while you sit on the toilet at home (or in the handicap stool at work).

That is an acceptable trade-off.

Alexa doesn’t do any of those things.

Laptop will do everything you asked for

I used to have a boss that took workpapers and his laptop into the shitter at work.

Phones are disgustingly filthy but the optics of a laptop in a public bathroom are gross. Nobody respects that guy.

And the balancing act of keeping a laptop balanced on your knees while you try to keep your britches from touching the nasty ass floor while you wipe is precarious at best.

An Alexa device is going to be the easiest assuming you have an Amazon Prime account.

The bluetooth speaker option is possible only if you have a phone, tablet, or computer with a populated music library or you use a servcie such as Spotify or Apple Music. Apple Music is free if you have a Verizon Unlimited plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

^i have a feeling that will be me if I buy one of these things....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If Alexa listens to you, Siri probably does too. No way to get around it.

We have the Amazon Echo Show in the kitchen. It has a screen, im like you... if sits in the corner and I have it play music. It scrolls pictures the rest of the time.

What bad habit said. 150 buck dell laptop has everything you want
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Sonos for music

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    nest
    echo
    alexa

them things....

I dont do technology. I dont want to be able to see from my doorbell. I just want something in the kitchen to play music. MAYBE it has a screen where I can google a recipe? Said screen could show pictures of the kids like a digital picture frame type thingie? really just a speaker. I dont have to be able to talk to it but I think they all are like that now.

Help.
    They must be cheap. I bought a reel or something last year and they gave me one. I didn't even know what it was. Bought another one the next week and they sent me another one.

I took them home and my wife loves them. One in the kitchen and one in the back of the house. She talks to them all the time and they play music all day long. My only enjoyment is walking by them and telling them to shut up. Pisses her off.

Like mentioned, your phones are always listening...

We've got 2 Lenovo smart clocks with Google Assistant, a 1st Gen Alexa that was a good deal on pre-order, and last week I got a Nest Hub Max to replace a Home Mini. It integrates nicely with all my other Nest (and WeMo) devices. The data personalization is very nice, too.

I'd put a Google product over an Amazon one, any day of the week. Alexa often gives crappy results, where Google is more accurate. Also, the Google Home app is much more user friendly than the Alexa app. Had I not gotten Alexa first, then it wouldn't still be in the house.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk