Thread: A True American hero

Default A True American hero

I meet a true American Hero today. The word “hero” gets thrown around a lot and is constantly cheapened and misused by the media. I believe this person is a true example of heroism.

I was doing a real estate closing for a couple who were purchasing their retirement home. As part of the closing, we discussed various issues related to real property taxes. The wife, who was also a veteran, mentioned they were entitled to an exemption due to 100% military disability. I told them to get in touch with the County Office of Veteran’s Affairs and they would walk them through the process. During the following discussion about how impressed she was with the website for the County’s Veteran Affairs office and other social chit chat, his wife made a comment in passing which included the acronym “MOH”. This caught my attention.

After the closing, I went to my office and googled this gentleman’s name. This is what I found:

This relates to his service in Vietnam. The event in question occurred on July 11, 1969, during Operation Montgomery Rendezvous, in the area southwest of Huế.

His Medal of Honor Citation reads:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty, Sgt. *** distinguished himself while serving as a rifleman in Company B, during combat operations.

Sgt. ***’s platoon was maneuvering along a ridge to attack heavily fortified enemy bunker positions which had pinned down an adjoining friendly company. As the platoon approached the enemy positions, it was suddenly pinned down by heavy automatic weapons and grenade fire from camouflaged enemy fortifications atop the overlooking hill. Seeing his platoon immobilized and in danger of failing in its mission, Sgt. *** crawled rapidly toward the closest enemy bunker. With complete disregard for his safety, he leaped to his feet and charged the bunker, firing as he ran. Despite the intense enemy fire directed at him, Sgt. *** silenced the 2-man bunker.

Without hesitation, Sgt. *** continued his 1-man assault on a second bunker. As he neared the second bunker, a burst of enemy fire knocked his rifle from his hands. Sgt. *** picked up a rifle dropped by a comrade and continued his assault, silencing the bunker.

He continued his charge against a third bunker and destroyed it with well-thrown hand grenades. Although Sgt. *** was now cut off from his platoon, he continued his assault against a fourth enemy emplacement. He fought through a heavy hail of fire to join elements of the adjoining company which had been pinned down by the enemy fire.

Although continually exposed to hostile fire, he assisted in moving wounded personnel from exposed positions on the hilltop to an evacuation area before returning to his unit.

By his gallant and selfless actions, Sgt. *** contributed directly to saving the lives of his comrades and served as an inspiration to his fellow soldiers in the defeat of the enemy force. Sgt. ***'s extraordinary heroism in action at the risk of his life were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

I also learned that Sgt. *** was 19 years old at the time this occurred.

I have redacted his name for privacy reasons. He never said a word to me about his service and I do not presume that he would want me to spread his name on the internet.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Wow!
    I would have been honored to meet him.

I am certain you were as well.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing Mr. M******...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

good stuff
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

wassup, fro
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

A hero indeed.
    Genesis 9;2

I'm not worthy of washing his car. They don't give out MOH medals.

That's awesome.
    I try to remember when I see all these real old fellas in the restaurants and at the convenience store
    wearing the Vietnam Veteran caps that they have stories and lived it. I try to always thank them for their service,
    I think it means something to them when they hear it.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-10-2019 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I'm not worthy of washing his car. They don't give out MOH medals.
    You are correct- they try not to give them. The MOH is truly earned.

Wow you should take that man a bottle of something nice.

I'll never forget the time Clebe Mcclary slapped me on the shoulder and asked me how I was doing and who I was...
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 12-10-2019 at 10:36 PM.

Incredible...
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

My wife and I were in a locale restaurant couple of days ago. In walked a county officer. Whenever I see an officer, fireman, or military person I walk up shake their hand and thank them for serving us. This time I waited until the officer placed his order and paid his tab. My goodness, he really was thankful. I hope it made his day a little less stressful, it sure did mine. Happy Holidays(Merry Christmas, Happy New Year).
    Home Of :

HRCH HR SHR Sunstar's Gigi The Boss's Daughter MH

Sunstar's Lookout 4 Miz Azie
    Sunstar's The Pro-Zak Attack

WWW.sunstarsduckdogs.com