Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Island

Default Cedar Island

Got drawn for Cedar Island next week. Not real sure what to expect. I read through a couple old threads which helped. Couple questions, I read that others said they take you out to your “boat” and you take that to your blind. What kind of boat should I expect? Should I bring grass to cover the boat? How big of a boat are we talking and how far are we paddling? Just trying to decide if it’s better to go minimal, or if there’s enough space to pack more than I need. How deep is the impoundment? Bringing a jerk rig, but curious of depths. Really any info is a help. I’ve never seen the place and have no clue what I’m getting into.

You will be given a location/ blind with boundaries...prolly draw for it...take a mud seat or dove stool...they may provide one cant remember....you will prolly have to hunt away from blind..( I have never had any luck hunting in their blinds). I take 12 deeks with 2 on jerk rig. Watch the birds first thing and move to where they wanna be.. small two man paddle boats. and you will know where not to walk.

The boat is a fiberglass abomination that has no discernible front or back and paddles like a bundle of 2x4s. It’s big enough for two people and one sack of decoys and gear. I’d bring something marsh grass flavored to cover the boat with because oftentimes the blind they tell you to go to isn’t anywhere near the “x”. Can’t comment on water depth because that changes. Don’t overpack. The secret to success is realizing you’re in the wrong spot quickly and moving to the right spot quickly since your time is very limited. Bring a marsh stool.

As stated.

small 2 man boat (10-12ft), you can wade most of the impoundments at the places. there are ditches that the boats help with.

dozen or two decoys and some burlap to cover boat if want to. A mud stool makes it easier to sit still.

Don't know your age or physical condition but, if you/your group are able, get there early and talk to the techs. Tell them you are willing and able to go wherever you need to in order to kill ducks. Set up but be ready to move and if the birds are wanting to work an area close to you, don't try and force it. Move to the birds. Hide good. For heaven's sake, don't blow on a mallard call all day. a jerk cord and a whistle will be your friend.
    Formerly DM88

What they said, and you will Not be able to paddle that little thing straight with said 2x4. It's impossible. Good luck on the hunt!

Great help. Thanks! When you say the time is very limited, what time does the hunt end? This is the first draw hunt for me and my crew.

Also, if the boats are that atrocious, will they let you bring a kayak?

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    Great help. Thanks! When you say the time is very limited, what time does the hunt end? This is the first draw hunt for me and my crew.
    Last time we hunted, there were two pick up times. Cant remember exactly when, maybe 9 and 11?
    Formerly DM88

Highly doubtful. They ferry everyone out there and it gets crowded as is with people/gear. They pick up at 11. That means you standing where they dropped you off with everything packed and ready at 11, not still picking up decoys or paddling back to the dike at 11.

One more tip since it’s your first time. Don’t even consider bringing more than 25 shells. They check pretty thoroughly before you get on the boat to head out there. If the catch you, you likely won’t get to hunt and will receive a nice coupon to bring home.
    Last edited by mud ugh; 12-10-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Ahh. We were on The Cape, not Cedar. And yes, I'll second the 25 shells claim. I think I checked my waders and bag three times to make sure I didn't have any extra shells. Last time we went, the GW said he didn't care what reason you gave, if you had 26 shells, you weren't going to hunt.
    Formerly DM88

They will still pick you up at 9 if you are done on Cedar. If enough people are done, they will take a load back then. Last time I hunted there, we were done by 9 with pintails, gadwall and teal. You will kill ducks unless you suck as bad as some of the people that come out there and shoot 25 shells and kill one duck.

Quote Originally Posted by ersepton View Post
    Also, if the boats are that atrocious, will they let you bring a kayak?
    No. The boats are part of the fun. Enjoy it!

I’ve been on two draw hunts. One I hunted and the other I just tagged along to take pics. We set out 4-5 dozen decoys and both times were done in 15 minutes. All big ducks. We sat blind first time I went. Look for feathers on the water walking in and that’s where you need to be.
    ETA: I was told a long time ago ducks like food and company. If you can’t give them food, give them company. Since you will be in a good source, the more company the merrier. That’s just my $0.02.
    Last edited by Relentlous; 12-10-2019 at 04:12 PM.
    867-5309

Those boats are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Those boats are awesome.

Your photography skills are not.

Sheeeeiiiiittttttt, haven’t you read? We only hunt for the sunrises

They're floating coffins that are designed fully for a safe space for you to lay in after you've walked your ass two miles through pluff mud.

And getting over that first ditch

The blinds should be the place to hunt from. They haven't had time to get blind shy.

When I went last, everybody said the same stuff about hunting away from the blinds. We hunted from the blinds and killed the limit on pintails,mottled ducks,and the rest gadwall.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk