Thread: Pointer trainers

Default Pointer trainers

The family got a vizsla about 8 months ago. This is our 2nd dog of this breed. The last one was a great family dog and loved to go to the woods but never had time or interest in training him to hunt until he was older. New dog has great disposition and points incredibly well naturally. Would like to get a professional to train her but other than searching online not sure where to start.

Found a place in Swansea that looks good called Dog Years training. Could be awesome. Could be a trainwreck. Anyone know of this place or have experience with others?
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 12-10-2019 at 07:04 AM.

Mark Fulmer in Aiken. PM sent.

There’s a guy in the upstate that does good with pointers. I can’t remember his name but he is deaf. I know two members on here that have used him for their dogs.

I know that’s not much help but someone on here will see this and remember his name
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Mo Linley is good but his hearing has slipped to a medical issue. He has helped me a lot recently.

Sea Island Kennels burnt me.

I wouldn't say Mo is 100% deaf but he is very hard of hearing. If you slow down and talk loud he can carry a decent conversation with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CofC Waterfowler View Post
    Mark Fulmer in Aiken.
    I'll second Mark Fulmer. He's been at it for more years than I can remember and still has a great reputation.

Mo or Johnathon watkins in upstate.

I know this will be all over the board - but the dog has had some obedience training. Has been trained on a shock collar to come, sit, stay, etc. nothing hunting related and have not shot a gun around her in fear I would screw it up and would make her fun shy. What am I looking at cost wise to go leave her with a trainer for a few weeks or month to get trained?

MO!
    At least I'm housebroken.

Trainer will probably be in range of $25/day.

Depending on what training you follow, the first year is kind of hunt and let them have fun (establish drive etc). Polishing the pointer comes in the second year.

ETA: you can build a table, start working on whoa, retrieve etc but as far as hammering the dog in the field with E-collar on birds is not highly advised from what I've been exposed to.

I am also not a professional dog trainer.
    Last edited by scdiver; 12-10-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    I wouldn't say Mo is 100% deaf but he is very hard of hearing. If you slow down and talk loud he can carry a decent conversation with you.
    I did not realize that, (I was under the impression he couldn’t hear at all) thanks for clarifying.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Mo Lindley, excellent trainer and all around good fellow.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

In my experience you looking at 700-900 per month depending on how many quail the trainer is shooting over the dog.

You can do most of the training yourself. Most of the Vizslas I have seen had a bunch of natural instinct. The obedience is all you have to add.

Get a good book. I like The Care and Training of the Versatile Hunting Dog sold by NAVHDA. Search "NAVHDA green book". Amazon has it for $21.95

As to breaking them to the gun, I highly recommend starting around a dog that is already gun broke and enthusiastic about gunfire. Your dog will see their enthusiasm and be less likely to freak out. Be very mindful of the situation you set up and small things like eye contact when you initiate exposing your dog to gunfire. Many folks set up a tense situation that the dog perceives before any noise is ever made. By the time the gun goes off, the dog is already tightly wound up.

If you are near the Lowcountry, I have a couple dogs that love the sound of gunfire more than food. PM me if you want to come by and do some easy slow gun exposure training.

I second Palmetto's recommendations. The green book is a great tool. I used clicker training on my puppy. I watched videos on YouTube from Standing Stone Kennels. Their videos are very helpful. I used Mark for bird work after I taught the puppy the basic commands because I don’t have access to pigeons and quail on a daily basis, only the weekends. I’m in the Midlands and have a quail preserve in Saluda. I’m happy to help you gun break your dog one day.
    Last edited by CofC Waterfowler; 12-10-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I did not realize that, (I was under the impression he couldn’t hear at all) thanks for clarifying.
    He can text message better than most anyone his age...