Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Youth Shooting Sports thread.....

DNR Skeet Qualifier at PSC in Edgefield Friday and Saturday. Youngest shoots Friday at 3:45, oldest shoots Saturday at 1:00. Weather looks to be lovely.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    DNR Skeet Qualifier at PSC in Edgefield Friday and Saturday. Youngest shoots Friday at 3:45, oldest shoots Saturday at 1:00. Weather looks to be lovely.....
    We were planning to shoot, had a kid on the squad back out and is throwing a monkey wrench in the plan. My understanding is they require 3.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Don't think they require 3 unless that's something they've changed recently. I know we shot with a couple of short squads last year....
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Yesterday was another great event by the SCYSF and Rocky Creek!
    Glad the weather held off for everyone...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

My two boys shot from 5th grade till they graduated. I coached. I took the NSCA level 1 and 2 course. It’s a great program but I haven’t kept up with it since my youngest graduated.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    My two boys shot from 5th grade till they graduated. I coached. I took the NSCA level 1 and 2 course. It’s a great program but I haven’t kept up with it since my youngest graduated.
    727 shooters yesterday.....

That's a crazy number of shooters to get through in one day. Even with 3 courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Conversely, I've had some older gentlemen tell me they were right handed and right eye dominant. But after shooting a few easy outgoing targets, they were clearly left eye dominant.
    Speaking of a complete loss of cabin pressure. I lose all enthusiasm when this happens.

Also, I’d jump in with both feet on this youth thing, but I’m not paying to give something I would otherwise get paid to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    My son shot at 8 am. I must have missed you.

we were 2pm....

I would like to find out some more information. My son just turned 12 and has a group that likes to shoot and bust clays. Can you just create a team squad? What make/model shotgun are the youths using at these events/level? Gauge? Is this stuff like travel baseball?

He goes to public school in Lexington so I would imagine there's no chance of them starting any school type teams.
    Last edited by Timberman22; 01-12-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

My son shot at 8 also.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Holy cow. 300+/- Was the most we ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    I would like to find out some more information. My son just turned 12 and has a group that likes to shoot and bust clays. Can you just create a team squad? What make/model shotgun are the youths using at these events/level? Gauge? Is this stuff like travel baseball?

He goes to public school in Lexington so I would imagine there's no chance of them starting any school type teams.
    Check with your local 4 H. Lots of 4 H Teams.

My 2 shot the varsity course (separate squads) at 2:00. My son is a senior and we've been involved in shooting since he was 8th grade. But, this is our first year with SCYSF. I really regret not getting in earlier. They are well run and they throw good birds. Also, they shoot a lot of different courses that we normally wouldn't go to. It was crowded yesterday but, they managed it well in my opinion.

I agree with Cooney on SCYSF. Very well run shoots. My oldest shot with his boy yesterday on a senior varsity squad and they finished 2nd as a team.

We’re having a good time with it. Best thing about it is that all their events are Sporting Clays so I’m not tempted to stab myself in the eye with a sharp stick like I am when they’re shooting trap or skeet.

Good seeing you yesterday Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post

Heath, you’ve got a lot of options as far as club teams where you’re located. Call me one day this week and I’ll get you some info.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I agree with Cooney on SCYSF. Very well run shoots. My oldest shot with his boy yesterday on a senior varsity squad and they finished 2nd as a team.

We’re having a good time with it. Best thing about it is that all their events are Sporting Clays so I’m not tempted to stab myself in the eye with a sharp stick like I am when they’re shooting trap or skeet.

Good seeing you yesterday Scott

Yeah man..... Brief but glad to have the opportunity!
    Heath....you probably have multiple options.

I agree with you guys - the shoot yesterday, like the others I have been to, was very well run. I assume the trappers and the folks that helped with parking are volunteers? All are professional and pleasant, as are the competitors, parents, and coaches I have dealt with.

How bad was that trailer parking lot by late afternoon yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I agree with you guys - the shoot yesterday, like the others I have been to, was very well run. I assume the trappers and the folks that helped with parking are volunteers? All are professional and pleasant, as are the competitors, parents, and coaches I have dealt with.

How bad was that trailer parking lot by late afternoon yesterday?
    My 2500 needed a tractor pull off the grass..... That shit was awful!