Thread: Sako Riihimaki 222

Default Sako Riihimaki 222

Saturday afternoon I was sitting around having a couple of beers with an old family friend which I would classify as my second Dad. We have hunted, fished, frog gigged, built stuff, broken stuff and fixed stuff my entire life.

We started talking guns and he began dragging out his iron. Holy crap the nice collection he has. He pulled a heavy barreled rifle from a case and it had two triggers. I had never seen that before so he explained the back one as a "set" trigger. You pull it and it sets the front trigger to have a pull in the ounce range for long range shots. He bought the gun second hand 30-40 years ago. He used it for varmint hunting in Texas. It has a weaver K10 60 scope which is an interesting piece. It has adjustments on the front from 25ft to 1000yds.

After he talked about the gun a bit he handed it to me and told me to take it and shoot it. He said it was a tack driver and his favorite rifle. I told him I didn't want to take it, but he insisted. He said he knew where it was if he needed it. Looking forward to shooting it when we get down to the farm over Christmas. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Sako3.jpg

Sako2.jpg

Sako1.jpg

I don’t but cool story and friendship !
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Read up how to use a double set trigger. It can be fired just with the front as a crisp normal trigger or it can be "set" using the rear trigger. Find a dummy round or use an already fired case to practice, as the firing pins are expensive . The screw between the triggers determines the travel needed to release front trigger after it is "set". It can be set hilariously light and the gun is still safe until it is "set". Takes some getting used to if you are not familiar with light target triggers. My suggestion is to not shoot it as you WILL want one.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 12-08-2019 at 09:24 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Read up how to use a double set trigger. It can be fired just with the front as a crisp normal trigger or it can be "set" using the rear trigger. Find a dummy round or use an already fired case to practice, as the firing pins are expensive .
    The set trigger can be tripped with the safety on, or at least my Mauser set triggers will. You should be able to practice the set triggers with the safety on with out bothering the firing pin. That's also how I "un-set" a set trigger.

Also, I never set the trigger with gloves on.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Read up how to use a double set trigger. It can be fired just with the front as a crisp normal trigger or it can be "set" using the rear trigger. Find a dummy round or use an already fired case to practice, as the firing pins are expensive . The screw between the triggers determines the travel needed to release front trigger after it is "set". It can be set hilariously light and the gun is still safe until it is "set". Takes some getting used to if you are not familiar with light target triggers. My suggestion is to not shoot it as you WILL want one.
    Great info. Thanks.

He showed me the process using a spent round in the chamber. The pull on the front trigger is ridiculous with it "set". The true definition of hair trigger.

I had one it was a tack driver. Fun guns

How much does he want for it?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013