Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which

For hunting, PSA. I don’t have any experience with which upper, but you don’t need to go any more expensive than that for a hunting rig

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    I'm also open to other calibers. My wife had scoliosis surgery and has 14in rods on both sides of spine and 26 screws. So recoil is a problem. I was leaning torwards 08 or 243.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    given that info. Really look at what hunting distances she will be shooting. Most deer are taken in 150 yards or less. She MAY do better with a cartage that recoils less. 30-30, 7-30 waters, 257roberts, 250-3000 savage, 300savage, 6.5x55, 6.8 spec.

All listed will have less recoil than a 243win and kill deer at 150yards.

I have a 300savage in a savage 99f that you can try when you get here. I am going to be loading 125 noslers in it for even less recoil to introduce daughter to center fire rifles.

Do you reload? Then you can roll your own reduced loads

And don't forget a lever action marlin/winchester in 44mag. Pistol round that will kill'em at 100yards.
    Last edited by mello_collins; 12-09-2019 at 01:54 PM.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

X2 for PSA. I went with a PSA upper in 6.5 Grendel and I’m pretty impressed with it. I would advise buying the upper and lower (or build) as it will be much cheaper that way. Let me know if you have any questions

If you go AR you may want to get a better trigger for it. Larue makes an amazing trigger at a pretty affordable price.

I've got model 700s, older ones, in .243 and 7mm 08 if y'all like to shoot them. Our place has a little "range" if y'all want to try them out, we're like 20 miles from Shaw heading north.

I have a 7-08 in model 700 and a Tikka in 243, both really accurate and not crazy expensive.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Model 700 SPS Stainless in 7mm-08. Killed a yote a couple of weeks ago at 239 yards. Hit exactly where I expected. Big ole exit hole from the 120gr NBT. No more fawn snacks for him.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 12-11-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Tikka T3 Lite in 7MM-08

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Tikka T3 Lite in 7MM-08
    +1...Very accurate and easy to use

If she’s got back and shoulder issues, a T3 Lite isn’t the best option. A little weight behind it is a good thing. On a budget, I’d seriously look at a RAP in 6.5CM, restock it into something decent and maybe a new trigger. Lighter grain ammo is more readily available than for the 7mm08.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-12-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have a model 7 in 6mm. I love it but ammo isn't as widely available as .243 Win, which is very similar in ballistics and bullet choice. Even though I reload, if I had to choose between the two now, I would probably go with .243. My brother has an identical rifle in 7-08. Recoil is very noticeably more with his rifle than mine. If recoil was not an issue, I think 7-08 is one of the best choices for deer.

I am recently hunting mostly with a 6.5 Grendel AR15. I absolutely love it. Plenty of knock down power for deer out past the distance I'd ever shoot, accurate, mild recoil, ergonomic platform with quick follow up shot capability, adjustable stock that fits any shooter or situation, rugged and easily customizable with a myraid of aftermarket parts without the need of a gunsmith. As much as I like 6.5 Grendel, the 6.8 SPC is damn similar in performance and has much more off-the-shelf availability of ammo with more bullet choices. I think the popularity of Grendel is catching up but right now, 6.8 is easier to find with more choices.

As mentioned, a trigger upgrade is always a good idea on an AR. I've tried many different brands and models and most are more than adequate for hunting or casual target shooting. Larue, Geissele, Timney all make great triggers but the fine differences between them may not be tangible for normal hunting and informal shooting and may not be worth the extra cost. Larue makes one of the less expensive trigger kits but it is not a drop-in module (not a big deal). Larue makes great stuff and is a pleasure to deal with. The CMC drop-in modules are nice and not expensive. I've got them in two of my hunting rifles and I'm plenty happy with them.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 12-12-2019 at 09:35 AM.

A lot of good recommendations above, but everyone seems to be missing your comment "my budget isn't crazy high".

An AR platform, in any caliber, plus a decent scope, will be upwards of twice the cost of a Savage 110 or 111 with a used Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200 3-9x40 scope on it, or something similar. The Savage is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles around at a low cost, has an adjustable trigger, and unless she's going to be shooting over 200 yds, she won't need any more than a 3-9 power scope. You can always upgrade the recoil pad if needed, or just get her a shoulder pad from Caldwell or Cabelas, etc. They really help cut any rifle's recoil down.

Caliber wise, you're good to go with .243, 25-06 in the middle, or 7mm-08 - possibly with reduced recoil loads, but I haven't looked at the ballistics/energy comparison in a long time.

Just my thoughts, but good luck, and welcome back to SC.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

duckcommander727, what did you end up getting?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    duckcommander727, what did you end up getting?
    Nothing yet, still in the process of moving. Out processing a base in 1 week, while packing with 2 kids I haven't had much time to think on it. I need to sit through and read these comments and do some research

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I've got model 700s, older ones, in .243 and 7mm 08 if y'all like to shoot them. Our place has a little "range" if y'all want to try them out, we're like 20 miles from Shaw heading north.
    I'll def take you up on this offer. I'd like her to squeeze off a few rounds to make sure they dont bother her.

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

A Lee hand press would allow you to load reduced velocity / lower recoil loads of any short action cartage cheap.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...eets/6968.html

ruger in 300blackout
    should have minimal recoil
    Last edited by mello_collins; 12-20-2019 at 10:57 AM.

Got a 6.5 grendel. Also bought a cheap 25-06 savage. Should be good to go

When are y'all moving to SC