Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which

Default Which

7mm-08 would yall recommend? Just got orders to Shaw. The land in Cades needs some deer thinning after only being hunted 4 or 5 times in the past 7 years. Looking for 08 so the wife can shoot it also.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Good deal. Let me know when you get settled, there's a decent amount of families from Shaw that live here.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Good deal. Let me know when you get settled, there's a decent amount of families from Shaw that live here.
    Looking forward to being close to home for a few years. Will def holler your way

“… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

I loved my model seven

I'm also open to other calibers. My wife had scoliosis surgery and has 14in rods on both sides of spine and 26 screws. So recoil is a problem. I was leaning torwards 08 or 243.

I've been eyeing the Model 7 in a .243. After hunting box stands lately I am wanting something compact. Don't think you will go wrong with either caliber. Congrats on coming home!

Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander727 View Post
    I'm also open to other calibers. My wife had scoliosis surgery and has 14in rods on both sides of spine and 26 screws. So recoil is a problem. I was leaning torwards 08 or 243.

Maybe an AR in 6.5. I hear they make some nice wood furniture for them. Or a heavy bolt gun with a good recoil pad.
    Last edited by wskinner; 12-07-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Tikka or savage 11

My savage model 11 7-08 is the best shooting rifle I own. It's also very compact
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Don’t overlook the 6.5 creedmore.

It’s not the best thing since sliced bread like some people think but it is an excellent choice for mild recoil and the selection of great factory ammo at reasonable prices.

It or the 7/08 will hand out nanny stickers like a Democrat giving out other people’s money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want an average rifle or a nice rifle? Tikka T3 or T3x for mid priced, Mauser 18’s are one sale at EuroOptic as are the Sauer 100 and 101. I’ve got 3 7mm08’s, a Sako 75 Hunter, a 700 Varmint with some mods and a Sako 85 Finnlight which is the lightest and handiest of the 3, maybe the most accurate as well. A Model Seven would be great once you swap that shitty X Mark trigger and if you get a good barrel and a decent stock.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I like my 7mm-08 Mountain Rifle. I usually shoot 140s. 120s would drop the recoil even more. I also saw where Remington has made a new run of stainless Model 7s in 6mm Remington. You may also want to check into a 6.5x55.

Congrats on the orders back home!

Get a bergara. Everything a Remington used to be, only slicker with better triggers

Bought my son (6) a savage youth 7-08. Hornady custom lite 120gr reduced recoil loads. I think it would be a great rifle for your wife. B8B07644-6421-4C99-8DCC-86F050B714D4.jpgB8B07644-6421-4C99-8DCC-86F050B714D4.jpg

The 6.5 (or .260 Rem) would split the difference between the .243 and the 7-08.
    Last edited by JBtflo; 12-07-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Look at building her a 6.8 spc in AR platform no recoil and decent ballistics
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

With all that back work on your wife I would keep it milder for certain. 243 or as mentioned recoil reduced loads in 708. An AR platform will certainly reduce recoil and as Stumpknocker noted the 6.8 would be a fine choice if you choose an AR platform.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    The 6.5 (or .260 Rem) would split the difference between the .243 and the 7-08.
    If Remington had done what they do best, market a product, the 260 would have sold really well before the creedmore came along. They are virtually the same.

The only thing they have done a worse job of selling is the 6mm. Well then there is the 7mm Express, or is it a 280?
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    If Remington had done what they do best, market a product, the 260 would have sold really well before the creedmore came along. They are virtually the same.

The only thing they have done a worse job of selling is the 6mm. Well then there is the 7mm Express, or is it a 280?
    6.5x55mm/.260 Rem/6.5 CM are all really similar. I think they're among the best calibers for deer in South Carolina.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

What's the best AR platform? I've done some research but I'm clueless on AR's. Also I'm enlisted in the military, so my budget isn't crazy high.