Thread: Toyota sequoia

Default Toyota sequoia

What are y'alls thoughts on the first gen Toyota sequoia 02-07? We are looking to replace my wife's car and family hauler with one. How many miles are to many. I've been looking at ones with 100k to 150k miles. How long will these run reliability with regular maintenance?
    Pros and cons of the sequoia as well please.
    Thanks for the help.

4.7L V8? Make sure the timing belt and H20 Pump were replaced on the 90K interval. Coolant hoses have plastic T’s that need to be replaced at around 150K, they get brittle and can crack. There’s a rubber trim on the hood that’s a stupid design and comes loose. All in all a good vehicle but if you can find a Land Cruiser of similar years, the ride is better, mileage the same and all around better vehicle. We had an ‘07 and never had an issue for my wife, then I bought a ‘06 LC. Ended up selling the Sequoia because the LC held more value and rode better. Both very reliable and safe.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

This is a broad statement I know, but I think you'll be just fine. I just bought an '03 with 200k plus miles from Maggie Glover on here and have been impressed with pretty much every aspect of the vehicle so far. Sure there are minor issues, but it's a 16 y/o vehicle. With regular maintenance I expect to 300k miles easily probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    This is a broad statement I know, but I think you'll be just fine. I just bought an '03 with 200k plus miles from Maggie Glover on here and have been impressed with pretty much every aspect of the vehicle so far. Sure there are minor issues, but it's a 16 y/o vehicle. With regular maintenance I expect to 300k miles easily probably more.
    You’ll get more. I have 266K on my ‘99LC and it’s running strong. I know a lady in town with an ‘05 LC that’s got about 525K on hers. That 4.7 is great. Not a powerhouse but has enough to do the job.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You’ll get more. I have 266K on my ‘99LC and it’s running strong. I know a lady in town with an ‘05 LC that’s got about 525K on hers. That 4.7 is great. Not a powerhouse but has enough to do the job.
    Good deal. Didn't think I could go wrong on when I bought it.

A family member has 440k on their 4.7

I just rolled in from my second trip out of state with an '04 Sequoia that I bought a month or so ago with 262,000 miles on it. Towed my 24' ark with it to camp a couple weeks ago with no problem. 9-10 mpg towing which was no different than my Expedition. Probably avg. 15-17 not towing this past trip. Great ride too even with a legit Louisiana squat. 5 hogs in the two 120 qt coolers and a 48 qt full of fish / duck inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

If you see one you like, you better jump on it. I've been looking for a 05-07 4x4 for awhile and they get scooped up with the quickness.

Mike

My parents have had an 06 since almost new and have never had any major issues, 250-275k miles on it now

Most underrated vehicle on the market. You can literally find these trucks for next to nothing. I bought a one owner truck from a lady that used it to haul her kids around. Had KRT do stuff to it (water pump, timing belt, plugs) and it hauls everything from my 21' work trailer to duck boats all over. It's a great vehicle. I bought it with 180K miles, it now has 260K. It's as strong now as it's ever been.

If it's a family vehicle I would look at the 05 to 07. The 4.7 got a refresh and had a 5 speed auto upgrade. It gives it the slightest bit better gas mileage.

20171202_104518.jpg
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Thanks for all the input. Yall have made this decision a lot easier. Now time to find the right one.

Lift gate handles are kinda a common thing. Tons of info online when it’s time to replace.