Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-7 Jeep project

Default CJ-7 Jeep project

I’ll update this thread as time goes by. Growing up as kid I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was the best show ever. I mean what what was there not to like about a badass Charger that played the first 13 notes of Dixie and a hot chick that drove a CJ-7. I have some customers fixing to do some really neat builds with the Gen 3 LS truck engines. I have a 35 Ford coupe, 96 Chevy OBS, and a few Jeep builds on the books. In fact the customer with this current CJ-7 wants to put a hellcat in his Jeep Gladiator. So we cleared off some land, fixing to pour a pad and put up a custom shop to accommodate the custom work. Some personal issues have set me back but we’ll continue to battle and push forward.

This thread will be a custom CJ-7 build. Putting in a GM LS that will be built. Engine will have a cam that you can count the firing order as every cyl hits at idle. Along with that will come custom tuning and a Alison AX15 5 speed manual trans to top off the drivetrain. Bumpers, winch,suspension upgrades, power brakes will all be added.

The LS Donor vehicle:

The CJ-7

And of course Daisy

Last edited by KRT; 12-06-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Cj's are three speed. Anything else is a wrangler.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I’ll update this thread as time goes by. Growing up as kid I always thought the Dukes of Hazzard was the best show ever. I mean what what was there not to like about a badass Charger that played the first 13 notes of Dixie and a hot chick that drove a CJ-7. I have some customers fixing to do some really neat builds with the Gen 3 LS truck engines. I have a 35 Ford coupe, 96 Chevy OBS, and a few Jeep builds on the books. In fact the customer with this current CJ-7 wants to put a hellcat in his Jeep Gladiator. So we cleared off some land, fixing to pour a pad and put up a custom shop to accommodate the custom work. Some personal issues have set me back but we’ll continue to battle and push forward.

This thread will be a custom CJ-7 build. Putting in a GM LS that will be built. Engine will have a cam that you can count the firing order as every cyl hits at idle. Along with that will come custom tuning and a Alison AX15 5 speed manual trans to top off the drivetrain. Bumpers, winch,suspension upgrades, power brakes will all be added.

The LS Donor vehicle:

The CJ-7

And of course Daisy

I promise that CJ has more than 3 speeds- it's gotta Daisy gear

I broke one like that on a test drive- salesman said give it hell- we went into a closed up drive in and I started jumping the humps- made it half way and was sittin on the dirt. No cell phones back then, salesman walked back to the dealership and I napped until they picked me up.
    Didn't buy that jeep.
    Damn the legs bring back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Cj's are three speed. Anything else is a wrangler.
    The Borg-Warner T14 3 speed is coming out and a 5 speed with Dana 300 transfer case going in.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    The Borg-Warner T14 3 speed is coming out and a 5 speed with Dana 300 transfer case going in.

What motor is that

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    What motor is that
    That’s not the engine. That’s the transmission.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I built a 1982 CJ-7 with a 350 Chevy engine out of a drag car when I got out of the service. Took me 11 months to do it cause I did it by myself. It was a simple older carb engine with minimal electronics and that's the only reason I was able to do it. I can't work with today's mess. I used a 350 auto transmission with a Novak Industries adaptor to a Dana 300 transfer case. That thing was badass. Had 36" Swampers and would damn near pull them off the ground.
    CJs were the last of the real Jeeps.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Yeah MKW the CJ-7 was the end of a good era. The 350 with a 4 barrel is very common. Putting a modern fuel injected engine and a wiring harness with all the factory gauges that work properly is going to be badasss.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Great thread, can't wait to see the progress. I had 3 different CJs as my primary vehicles from high school through college. We put a 360 from a Grand Wagoneer in a CJ 5 and it would almost rip the rear axle off the back end if you floored it. Would also set of car alarms creeping through a parking garage. Ah, the good ol days

Mmmm mmmm Daisy

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    I promise that CJ has more than 3 speeds- it's gotta Daisy gear
    More like a granny gear now. Her transmission’s shot. She had nice bumpers back then though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Space Wrangler.

Nice job
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Cool. One of these days I have to get dads CJ5 rebuilt. I found a picture a while back of my 9 year old self and him winching the body off the frame with a come a long and an oak limb.

Subscribed. Looking forward to the updates. I've built a few.

Care to do a diesel swap next?

If you are pulling a straight 6 out of that CJ and it is running, I’m interested in buying it if available.

Cool Jeep! I love them, they just don’t love me back for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    If you are pulling a straight 6 out of that CJ and it is running, I’m interested in buying it if available.
    It’s a straight 6 and runs like a sewing machine. It’s for sale as well.

Quote Originally Posted by teal74 View Post
    Care to do a diesel swap next?
    Sure.
    More fuel = more boost!!