Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-7 Jeep project

Going with a 216/220 (intake/exhaust angle) .600”.600” (.600 valve lift both intake and exhaust) and a 112 LSA ( lobe separation angle) Texas-Speed cam.

So with headers this should lope pretty good at idle. On an automatic it wouldn’t call for a stall converter. Since this is a manual a stall wouldn’t matter but I don’t want to lose low end torque or have to add a vacuum pump so the bitch would have enough vacuum to operate the booster.

The other projects may get a little more lift and less lobe separation but they will have an automatic and I’d just have to get them a stall converter so it doesn’t choke down in gear at idle.

I’m going to try this cam on the CJ, I think the results will be perfect and it’s the guinea pig therefore I will be able to use it for this point forward. Should be lopey, plenty of bottom end torque, 60 more HP and reasonable..... I hope.

Been a long time since I’ve been to cam school. Now days you have to tune the engine for what have, not adjust the carburetor.

Hope to have the body off, engine out, frame painted and possibly engine in over the holidays assuming everything falls into place.... which we know won’t happen.
    Last edited by KRT; 12-16-2019 at 09:59 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I am lost in the modern era of "tuning" with a laptop. Give me a carb, a timing light and a vacuum gauge.
    I think I remember fighting low vacuum on my Chevelle's 396 way back when my Dad built it.
    Seems I remember we had to advance the timing to something like 16 to 20 btdc before it starting idling right.
    574/578 lift and 110 lobe separation
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-17-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Forward motion today

More fuel = more boost!!

Can't wait to see her when you get done...

ditto

I missed this somehow.

Nice project, it’s looking good.

If you want to drop a diesel in one of those you should check out the R2.8 Cummins.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    If you want to drop a diesel in one of those you should check out the R2.8 Cummins.
    Thanks Chess, I’ve never heard of the R2.8

After researching, the 5.9 wasn’t practical due to length. So I’ve been studying the 4BT.
    Last edited by KRT; 12-21-2019 at 10:36 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Lots of Rover folks are converting to them. You won’t smoke the tires from here to your shop, but they are very practical and would be a massive upgrade. They are obviously new and made for this market, but reviews so far are awesome.

That flat bed looks familiar.

thanks for updating, was thinking about this yesterday

Got some goodies today

Cam bearings installed...

More fuel = more boost!!

I assume this is going to be more of a cruise around, looking sporty and making noise Jeep than a off road rig? You upgrading axles or leaving the factory units? I think there was some weak flaw with the 20's but I am not really a Jeep guy so I do not really know a lot about them. Ford 9" and a D44 with all the turd polish will probably suffice for a beat around deal with 37's or less... Unless you want to do big smokey peel outs... That will change stuff. You doing the stock computer or going to one of those Holley management systems? As much as I hate an LS swap.... They make a lot of sense now. Interested to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

This client wants its to be a cruiser with some noise, no rock crawling

As far as the computer... no sir on the Holley. I’m building a the factory harness out of the Tahoe for it to be jeep and this engine specific. I will go into the factory computer and tune it for a big cam, no post cat converter 02 sensors and no converters. I will re write the map and mass air flow and give it some umph/balls.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Got the rod and main bearings out today, along with new valve springs, valve stem seals, and valve job. Running a tad behind but it’s ok.

Replacement spring on right compared to stock

More fuel = more boost!!

Are you just throwing rings and bearings in it to freshen it up while you have it out and the heads and pan off?
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-27-2019 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Are you just throwing rings and bearings in it to freshen it up while you have it out and the heads and pan off?
    Yes sir, a freshen up.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Yes sir, a freshen up.
    She'll be good to go with cylinders honed, new rings, cam bearings, cam, crank bearings, a new chain and the heads worked.
    Cant remember if these have the stretch head bolts that have to be replaced each time the head comes off?
    I want to come by and see it when you get it back together
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-27-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
    I assume this is going to be more of a cruise around, looking sporty and making noise Jeep than a off road rig? You upgrading axles or leaving the factory units? I think there was some weak flaw with the 20's but I am not really a Jeep guy so I do not really know a lot about them. Ford 9" and a D44 with all the turd polish will probably suffice for a beat around deal with 37's or less... Unless you want to do big smokey peel outs... That will change stuff. You doing the stock computer or going to one of those Holley management systems? As much as I hate an LS swap.... They make a lot of sense now. Interested to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work
    Correct on the AMC20 axle...2 piece shafts. They have 1pc shaft upgrades but it's just polishing a turd as you say.

Last edited by KRT; 02-02-2020 at 09:22 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Ain’t nobody gonna be able to afford that thing