Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: '19 - '20 Catching 'em

Default '19 - '20 Catching 'em

Good run this morning considering the weather we’ve had. Wife and I tied up 2 a piece on sets.

Last edited by ccleroy; 02-14-2020 at 10:28 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by MS31 View Post
    You do you. I know yall are making $$$. I just find it humorous that we have multiple threads daily bitching about coyotes but it is widely accepted to trap and transport.
    Don't get them started or they will call you selfish. Are they trapping to help recruitment of species they care more about (deer, turkeys, quail, etc.) or are they trapping to line their pockets? Because some sound like they only do it for the money.

PS: I know you all don't sell them.
    Last edited by SCswampCAT; 02-14-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

They are catching them when many of you are just sitting at home bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    They are catching them when many of you are just sitting at home bitching.
    What good to does catching do if they are just relocating?

Ask the landowners and lease holders that are happy especially after seeing recruitment numbers go up. I have a full time job that pays pretty good and I’m not dependent upon the money we get for coyotes, but sure it helps with more traps and gas. Most people lack the time it takes to effectively trap a property, that’s where someone who knows what they are doing comes into play, and it’s not cheap to trap effectively in a market with no fur buying presence. I find it funny that most think live market trapping yields killer money, but as with most things people tend to draw conclusions from what they don’t know. During the summer, I charge landowners for removal since I can’t sell them live, like every other trapper out there.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Not to make this sound high and mighty, but the last thing I need is money...I don't trap for the income...That would be a net loss.

I trap my personal plantation for obvious reasons, predator control that enhances recruitment of species I desire to have on my property.

I trap for my friends free of charge to help them achieve the same goals...The live market only HELPS to defray the costs of running a proper trapline...It does NOT pay for it or create a net income.

Those that think that live market sales to a running pen is a just a relocating process are misinformed...Pen owners I sell to have very secure facilities...They have a large investment in their running stock and take very good care of them, including castrating, giving shots and feeding...They go to extremes to see that no animal escapes.

Those are the facts...Someone has said before, no need in arguing with an idiot, they will just try to drag you down to their level.

So if they don't escape, why do they constantly need more. They die, dogs kill em, etc? Sell em all, less in the wild in my eyes.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    So if they don't escape, why do they constantly need more. They die, dogs kill em, etc? Sell em all, less in the wild in my eyes.
    Some do die...They all die eventually, just like you and I will...Dogs kill one occasionally.

There's lots of acres in fenced running pens, and probably not as many people trapping and selling to them as people may think, so it's a supply and demand thing...Plus, there's only a 3 month window for the Penners to obtain their stock...The price coyotes are bringing now reflect that...If either side of that relationship were to change, the market would change with it.

What good to does catching do if they are just relocating?
    Got your answer I hope

I assume it is legal to sell them to a pen? I have no clue, but asking the question.

Also, the acreage that you trap for “friends”, do they pay you at all? Do you feel that you make a dent in the coyote populations on the land that you trap? I’m certainly not trying to be inflammatory. I’m simply curious.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I assume it is legal to sell them to a pen? I have no clue, but asking the question.

Also, the acreage that you trap for “friends”, do they pay you at all? Do you feel that you make a dent in the coyote populations on the land that you trap? I’m certainly not trying to be inflammatory. I’m simply curious.
    It is absolutely legal and I don't ask for money to trap during the regular trapping season. We make a dent for a period of time, but they will come back. Trapping is a tool that has to be implemented continuously to see an improvement in recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Do you feel that you make a dent in the coyote populations on the land that you trap? I’m certainly not trying to be inflammatory. I’m simply curious.
    It definitely makes a dent, even if it's just for a short time. Like Ricky said, its all about giving a bump in the recruitment.
    I don't take the bait about as soon as one is removed another moves in within days. For some properties, that's absolutely true, but for places like our farm and a handful of others i've seen, not so much. When we and my neighbor started several years ago, we wore them out, for 2-3 years. Hell he was catching 20 plus a year, i was catching about half that and 20+ foxes. Around year 4 it started to decline. Now, i can carpet bomb the place for weeks and only catch a few, neighbors place is the same way.
    Coyotes are just a small piece of the pie too, bobcats are killing machines that have a huge impact on deer and turkeys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Ricky is right about having to keep it up...Trapping a coyote (or other predator) is like catching a bass beside a stump in a prime spot in a pond, you can come back later and catch another one in the same place.

Removing predators from a landscape creates a target rich environment for other predators to show up and have a nice meal...Effective trapping for desired game recruitment needs to be done just before fawning or nesting season, and repeated in the same time slot yearly.

And like buckpro said, valuable to have a neighborly plan.......

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Not to make this sound high and mighty, but the last thing I need is money...I don't trap for the income...That would be a net loss.

I trap my personal plantation for obvious reasons, predator control that enhances recruitment of species I desire to have on my property.

I trap for my friends free of charge to help them achieve the same goals...The live market only HELPS to defray the costs of running a proper trapline...It does NOT pay for it or create a net income.

Those that think that live market sales to a running pen is a just a relocating process are misinformed...Pen owners I sell to have very secure facilities...They have a large investment in their running stock and take very good care of them, including castrating, giving shots and feeding...They go to extremes to see that no animal escapes.

Those are the facts...Someone has said before, no need in arguing with an idiot, they will just try to drag you down to their level.
    Fact is we have a difference of opinion. You do you man. Your long winded justification says it all.

Fact is we have a difference of opinion. You do you man. Your long winded justification says it all.
    How many predators have you removed in the last twelve months?

Good stuff ccleroy and swift strike...
    I have really struggled this past or two with this weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Browner View Post
    Good stuff ccleroy and swift strike...
    I have really struggled this past or two with this weather.
    It’s been a grind for sure, this year and last. We’ve really had to work to keep sets in working condition and push through the hot and wet weather hoping for the cold snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    How many predators have you removed in the last twelve months?
    Removed or killed? Seems to be 2 different things. I killed 2 this past deer season. You? Whoever kills the most at my club gets $50 off next years dues.
    Last edited by MS31; 02-14-2020 at 08:36 PM.

Peanut shaped automotive sponges cut in thirds and soaked in used cooking oil and canned cat or dog food. Find a spot near their dens full of pups. Heard it works. You might see some bear turds with sponges in it, but not coyotes.