Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow Questions

Default Arrow Questions

So arrows are just as confusing as bows.

I ordered the Bear Cruzer Lite for my son. I measured him and it looks like he's going to be around a 22" draw length. What length arrows do I need to look at? 24", 26" ? Fiberglass or carbon? Does the fletching make a difference? He's right handed if that matters.

Thanks,

What poundage will he be shooting? Getting the spine correct will matter the most for good arrow flight. Arrows can be cut to different length after the bow has been set up. I would cut them an inch longer than the riser to allow room for growth, if he keeps them that long. And you will want to go with carbon. I'm not aware of a fiberglass shafted arrow outside of bow fishing.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 12-06-2019 at 04:37 PM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Draw length is 1.75" plus the distance from the valley of the handle to string at full draw. You can shoot arrows that are less than the draw length with no problem. If he plans to shoot broadheads out of this bow, having an arrow that extends past the riser at full draw prevents any clearance issues.

My personal opinion: order prefletch goldtip arrows in 3555 spine and have them cut just long enough to where they extend past the riser.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks. Not sure what pound he can pull. This will be new to both of us. I'd think around 20# but that's really a complete guess.

Cut them long, he’s not going to be at a 22” draw for long. At that age and size it’s all about shooting for fun, just some bargain bin arrows be perfectly fine. Or better yet Beman used to make a youth hunting arrow that came pre cut at like 26 inches and 3 inch vanes. I killed a few deer with them when I was a kid and they were tough as nails. They may still make them.

F8B5CDB9-EB4C-443A-B141-985688D04997.jpg

Here’s a good option for a quality youth arrow. $17.99 for a 3 pack.

Don't get too far down in the weeds with all this just yet. Let him have fun and you too. No need to get to micro adjustment levels with spine etc at this point. What y'all need right now is to work on form and not starting bad habits. PM me your address. I've got buckets of old arrows looking for a home I'll ship you FOC for him. Don't even worry about length. Bag target hung where the center is eye level. Back him up ten yards and let him do work and enjoy the hours of "Pop. Pop. Pop." you'll hear as he drills that thing.

Get him with somebody are your local pro shop and work on form. That's it. We can get all Midwest Whitetail later.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    What y'all need right now is to work on form and not starting bad habits.

Get him with somebody are your local pro shop and work on form. That's it.
    This is the most important advice you're going to get.

Guy by the name of John Dudley on YouTube will teach you all you need to know about form. If you don’t have a shop or know anyone. His channel is nockonarchery.

PM sent. That’s awesome Glenn. Thanks.

Don't get too far down in the weeds with all this just yet. Let him have fun and you too. No need to get to micro adjustment levels with spine etc at this point. What y'all need right now is to work on form and not starting bad habits. PM me your address. I've got buckets of old arrows looking for a home I'll ship you FOC for him. Don't even worry about length. Bag target hung where the center is eye level. Back him up ten yards and let him do work and enjoy the hours of "Pop. Pop. Pop." you'll hear as he drills that thing.

Get him with somebody are your local pro shop and work on form. That's it. We can get all Midwest Whitetail later.
    Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    PM sent. That’s awesome Glenn. Thanks.
    I could probably help get those and give them to you at Christmas. Save Glenn some shipping charges. Whatever y'all want to do though.

Im good either way. Depends on his time line. I can ship em out early next week.

Good stuff Glenn
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

2n Glenn is good people.
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 12-06-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    I could probably help get those and give them to you at Christmas. Save Glenn some shipping charges. Whatever y'all want to do though.
    He’s going to mail. I won’t see you before Christmas.

Thanks again Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    2n Glenn is good people.
    He's still ugly though
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Glenn is spot on. I’ve never seen a kid pick a bow up and then quit because it wasn’t fun. I’ve seen lots of parents force their kid to shot x amount of arrows a day for NASP and the kids get burned out. Let him sling arrows until he is tired then put it up.

Spine is critical on a traditional bow because the flex is instrumental in getting true arrow flight after it bends around the riser on the release. Getting the right spine on a traditional bow is hugely affected by the stiffness (spine) of the arrow. On a bow with a center shot riser, one that is cut so that the rest is centered to the flight path, you don't need flex to make the arrow bend around the bow so too stiff is not a big problem. Too limber can be bad for accuracy and, if way too limber, dangerous. You'll have less issues with an arrow that's too stiff than one that is too limber.

Stiffness is also a factor that affects weight (wall thickness and length combined). Folks that chase speed go for the lightest and, consequently, most limber arrow they can get away with. They also try to minimize length, even to the point of using "overdraw" rests that allow the tip to be behind the bow hand at full draw. They give up downrange energy some but gain a flatter trajectory. It's easier to figure arrow drop so range estimation is less critical but penetration might suffer.

Shaft diameter is also in play. Fatter is stiffer and allows thinner wall thickness but fat arrows don't penetrate as well. Thinner shafts with the same wall thickness will be more limber but will penetrate better.

The longer a shaft, the more it will bend on release as it tries to get the broadhead moving. Same with draw weight. The higher draw weight, the more stiffness you need to keep the arrow from flexing too much as it gets that broadhead moving. That's why the shaft selection charts show the ratio of stiffness vs length vs draw weight.

Long story short, get shafts that are adequately heavy and err on the side of too stiff and heavy. For growing kids, get some extra length but realize that you are sacrificing speed so trajectory and range estimation will be more critical.

You will also need to pick a broadhead or target tip weight. Arrows fly best when the balance point of a fletched and tipped arrow is forward of the measured center of length. The balance point should be around the 60% mark "Forward Of Center" or "FOC". If an arrow is 26" from tip to nock, you want it to balance at 15.6" from the nock.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 12-08-2019 at 09:18 AM.

All good stuff PB. We'll get their in time I hope. Just need to be able to hit a target for now.

20lbs? spine wont matter at all.
    he could shoot cut pine limbs with a notch cut out.

just let him shoot and shoot until he loses all his arrows. then you know he's interested.

this is where google and youtube will not help.
    he's a kid. give him the bow and some arrows and tell him not to shoot the neighbors cat.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 12-09-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.