Thread: First kill with the kid

Default First kill with the kid

I don't know how I pulled it off but I was able to kill our first deer together this evening. He turned 2 in September and I figured it was time to try and at least take him a time or two just to see how he did. We have been twice before but the rain cut the hunt short. I've been getting a group of three does coming out every evening around 515 on the spypoint and the weather looked like it was going to finally cooperate. We got settled in the ground blind about 4:40 and I pulled out his coloring book but he didn't want to have anything to do with it. The two previous times he was fairly quiet, but not today. He wanted to use my shooting stick as his gun and was shooting things out of the blind window and yelling "I shoot it!" I was trying to tell him he was going to scare the deer off but that didn't work. I almost got frustrated but then thought what the hell. He is having a good time and I'm just luck to even have him out in the woods. So he shot for a few more minutes and then said he wanted to go to the truck. I was trying to buy a few more minutes because I knew they would be coming out soon if he didn't already spook them. For some reason he wanted to see pictures of himself and tractors so we looked through pictures on my phone. It's now 5:20 and he is ready to go again. I went to the last resort and the first time I have ever let him watch YouTube on my phone. Blippi came through in the clutch and finally kept him quiet. About 5 minutes later I saw the first one step out and I tell him I see a deer. He drops the phone and stands up looking. I give him the binoculars and ask if he wants me to shoot it. The plan was to take a head shot with the 223 so I wouldn't have to do any tracking. I put his ear muffs on and he starts screaming. I take them off and tell him he has to wear them if he wants me to shoot and put them back on. He screams again and all three are staring us down. Finally I put a set of muffs on and then he wants his on. I go to set the shooting stuck up and he doesn't want me to take "his gun." The biggest one is facing me not leaving much room for error on a freehand head shot at 120 yards. So I decide to try and take the unethical neck shot. Crosshairs on the white patch and squeeze off. She does a back flip and starts kicking. I knew that was all she wrote. He gets a little upset at the bang but by the time we make it to the deer he is laughing and excited. That's all he has talked about the rest of the night. I can't wait to take him back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Happy for you man! Love the little man's boots

Mine is 2.5. Loves pictures of himself and of my tractor. He always wants to see Levi, dadas buggy, and dadas tractor. Blippi has came in clutch a few times and not just in the stand. Mickey and the Roadster racers are my back up when he doesn’t wanna watch blippi.

Awesome job on getting him out.

That's awesome man.

Very cool.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

great stuff
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

That's Awesome work sir. Patience will pay off for a long time!!! Congratulations.

Making memories!

Good story! I’m betting a memory neither one of you will forget

like it

Congrats buddy. I just let mine behave however they want and hope for the best.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Nice

thats awesome...and pretty much how it usually goes down.

he wont remember this day....but you will....and that's ok.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Right on buddy! Start em young and keep them on the hunt.
    Genesis 9;2