Thread: Schmidt Bender Klassik

Default Schmidt Bender Klassik

Any feedback on quality/clarity and light gathering?
    Last edited by TennDan; 12-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.

I bought one, then I bought two more. Glass is excellent, BDC turret, FFP, illuminated L3 or #4 style. I sit as late with it as a do my Stratos’. I looked at the VX5HD and the S&B has better glass. It’s not far off my Leica Magnus.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I concur with Salty, bought one a while back. Very good glass, pretty dang close to my Swaro Z6. Tracks true, I like the illumination control, overall a great hunting scope.

Salty, Winyah... I have a question about the Klassik with the BDC turret.

For example: Say I was zeroed at 100, and wanted to make a shot out to 500 yds with a 7-08, which would have about 44” of drop, if I recall right. How is that turret set up? Is it 1 MOA per number on the dial so you would have to turn 44 numbers (176 clicks) if zeroed at 100 yds to be zeroed at 500 yds?

Or with a scope like this (vs a ballistic reticle) would you zero at 200/250, etc, so as to reduce the knob turning?

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 12-06-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

1cm clicks or about 3/8” if you want SAE. But no it’s not 176 clicks. Same formula/solution as any other turret. .
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    1cm clicks or about 3/8” if you want SAE. But no it’s not 176 clicks. Same formula/solution as any other turret. .
    I forgot that it’s a European scope and cm’s, but a 44” drop would still require a 112 clickS (or 28 numbers on the turret) adjustment, would it not?

I don’t know what formula/solution you are referring to other than the MOA, Mils, or CM ~ 3/8”. Pardon my lack of expertise, but I only shoot to hunt, and it’s never been real long range, either, so small hold-overs always worked fine.
    ~ George Washington

If you zero your rifle at 200 yes. A 500 yard shot is going to be approximately 16 clicks. Obviously this is going to vary based on the caliber, BC, and a few other factors.

44” at 500 yards will be roughly 8.5 MOA.

Don't try to think of clicks equaling a length measurement, i.e 3/8". It will indeed move the POI 3/8" at 100 yards (or ~100 meters) but don't try to divide the needed drop at 500 yards by 3/8". Each click is worth more at increasing distance. The clicks are an angular value, minute of angle = one sixtieth of a degree. At five hundred yards, each click is worth 5 times as much as it is at 100 yards.

The fact that one MOA is approximately worth one inch at 100 yards is why it's easy to sight in your gun at 100 yards. There is no other compelling reason to sight in at 100 yards unless that is the range you expect to shoot while hunting. If you are expecting shots at 250 yards, sight it in to be dead on at 250 and just remember to compensate when shots are closer. It will be a couple inches high at 100.

Mils or milrads, milliradians are similarly measures of angle but not by degrees. A milliradian is the angle created by moving one thousandth of the circumference of a circle. There are 360 degrees (21600 minutes) in a full circle but 1000 milliradian in a full circle. A mil works out to about 3/8" at 100 yards. It also works out to one meter at 1000 meters. Just like the rest of the metric system, it is a ten-based unit and a lot easier than dividing by arbitrary units like 360 degrees, 12 inches, 36 inches, eighths, sixteenths, etc.

https://www.nssf.org/shooting/minute-angle-moa/

Mine actually came with the BDC in MOA with 14 minutes available. Would have preferred mil, but it was a Europotic close out so oh well. It's on my .243 that I rarely shoot past 200 yards anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    44” at 500 yards will be roughly 8.5 MOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Don't try to think of clicks equaling a length measurement, i.e 3/8". It will indeed move the POI 3/8" at 100 yards (or ~100 meters) but don't try to divide the needed drop at 500 yards by 3/8". Each click is worth more at increasing distance. The clicks are an angular value, minute of angle = one sixtieth of a degree. At five hundred yards, each click is worth 5 times as much as it is at 100 yards.
    Duh... damn I feel stupid. I understand and know all of the above, but my brain was so tied up with a bunch of other crap last night that it wouldn't grasp the obvious. Sorry about that, and thanks for your patience in explaining the obvious to me. I hope you fully enjoyed the laugh and head slap over my rather dumb questions...

The fact that one MOA is approximately worth one inch at 100 yards is why it's easy to sight in your gun at 100 yards. There is no other compelling reason to sight in at 100 yards unless that is the range you expect to shoot while hunting. If you are expecting shots at 250 yards, sight it in to be dead on at 250 and just remember to compensate when shots are closer. It will be a couple inches high at 100.
    In reality, I've almost always zeroed my centerfire rifles at 200 yds (using a 6" vital zone vs an 8") so my PBR runs around 230-240, depending on the caliber, and I don't have too much compensation to deal with on shots shorter than 200. The only reason I've considered changing some rifles to 100 is because of a couple of scope changes to ballistic reticles on a couple of rifles. I just haven't had a chance to zero them in yet so I haven't finalized my plan for each. I'm pretty sure two of them will be at 100 and the third will be at 200. If I pick up one of the Klassiks and move the other scopes around then things will change.

Mils or milrads, milliradians are similarly measures of angle but not by degrees. A milliradian is the angle created by moving one thousandth of the circumference of a circle. There are 360 degrees (21600 minutes) in a full circle but 1000 milliradian in a full circle. A mil works out to about 3/8" at 100 yards. It also works out to one meter at 1000 meters. Just like the rest of the metric system, it is a ten-based unit and a lot easier than dividing by arbitrary units like 360 degrees, 12 inches, 36 inches, eighths, sixteenths, etc.

https://www.nssf.org/shooting/minute-angle-moa/
    I know the Milrad system makes a lot of sense, I just don't have any scopes set up for it and since I don't really do much 'long range' shooting I haven't considered changing.

Thanks for squaring me around on this. Just too much on my mind.
    ~ George Washington

MIL, MOA, CM doesn’t really matter. Download a good ballistic app and if you’ve entered all your rifles, scopes and ballistic data correctly it will tell you how many clicks you need to turn to hit your target. You can start with whatever zero you prefer. Nobody is doing the math in their head anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    MIL, MOA, CM doesn’t really matter. Download a good ballistic app and if you’ve entered all your rifles, scopes and ballistic data correctly it will tell you how many clicks you need to turn to hit your target. You can start with whatever zero you prefer. Nobody is doing the math in their head anymore.
    Which one do you prefer? I've been using Aardvark and like it fine but I'm not married to it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ballistic AE and Strelok Pro

Strelock pro
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I prefer the Kentucky method

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Ballistic AE and Strelok Pro
    These. I like the AE.

Applied Ballistics and Geoballistics