Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 WE or 475 LB

Default 500 WE or 475 LB

Hi All,

we do boar hunt on horseback & driven... At times, the tuskers are so close that its difficult using a rifle......I've seen pistols fail miserably, especially when they charge but got lucky...

I've a webley .455 with 270gr soft lead that i love over .44 mags/45 ACP because subsonic impact but recently, ammo availability is a pain and casting is an issue as i'm running out of shells...... gives me 2.5” at 100.

I've been thinking of either going for .500 Wyoming Express or .475 Linebaugh….Im trying to decide which would make a better choice for large game hunting defense. Anyone have any experience with these two or have an opinion, kindly share.

Some factors I’m considering

1. I’m inclined hand loading, heard the brass for 500 WE is proprietary whereas 475 line is factory fodder and easily available.
    2. 500 WE has More recoil then 475 or rugger 480 or Redhawk 480 and is not fun to shoot….I’m thinking of keeping it at 280-300gr at 980fps for boars & 400gr at 980fps for Africa….. I’ve experimented .455 with 270gr and pushed it to 1800fps….damn, its like firing 2 .45 with 1 hand…..any experience here Would be Much appreciated.
    3. Keen on 6” barrel with open sight at 50-75
    4. Also need feedback on SBH & stock grip…. Had bad experience firing 300gr at 1250fps….. Any experience with FA Bisley grips or custom D-Max?

So were out on a driven shoot ....there were shotguns, pistols and this damn thing was hit over 10 times.... charged us head on.....I Shot it with .455 270gr about 15 yards from me.... Weighs over 292 lbs

Attachment 51708
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 12-05-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: corrected a typo

I have a bisley blackhawk. Whole different feel than a regular grip. Freedom arms are fine revolvers. Also look at the magnum research BFR as well. Been reading alot of good on them too. A 454 is a consideral step up from a 44 mag
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

If you’re going to claim a 642lb pig, you need to post full pics and not just cutters. We’ve all seen bigger cutters than that on 250# or less vermin.

Why not a short barreled guide gun in 45-70 or .444? If a pistol cartridge, I’d stay in something that’s readily available in .44 or .454. Never had to use my pistol on a hog hunt, buckshot’s always worked. Phone Man shot a massive boar with his 10mm a few years back. What did that one weigh Thomas 2-3kg?
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    If you’re going to claim a 642lb pig, you need to post full pics and not just cutters. We’ve all seen bigger cutters than that on 250# or less vermin.

Why not a short barreled guide gun in 45-70 or .444? If a pistol cartridge, I’d stay in something that’s readily available in .44 or .454. Never had to use my pistol on a hog hunt, buckshot’s always worked. Phone Man shot a massive boar with his 10mm a few years back. What did that one weigh Thomas 2-3kg?
    I put down one of my father in laws cows with my 10mm. My FIL had already shot it 5 times with his 32 revolver and it looked like nothing had happened. I shot it with a 220gr hard cast from double tap between the eyes and it rocked the whole animal. Blood poured out of its ears and nose. That hog was 7-8 pounds maybe lol I did shoot a big ol boar hog with my 44 mag hunting with mobetter once. It never twitched.

I love my guide gun but here lately ive been using a ruger 77/44 carbine. Loaded with 270gr speer deep curls over h110 it will shoot almost lengthwise through a deer. Very Very good bullet.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I am with salty... I am not calling BS... But I have killed a lot of big board. A 300# hog is a really big hog. Kinda like a 10# bass. I have seen a bunch of 5#, "10#" fish. Not to say there are not real, 14-15# lunker's... But most are 5-7#. Just like most "300#" board are 225 ish#. I would like to see a 500+# hog. I have never seen one

Oh... And back to the actual question... We are not talking about a black rhino. If you hand load, get a Glock 20 and load them hot. Or get a 41 mag. Either of those will flat kill a charging hog.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

My Apologies guys for a typo...its 292lbs not kg....we don't have hogs but huge boars, usual size is between 80-200lbs +-...this one was very big and Super fast at close range... honestly, it scared the shit out of us.... I'll post more pics.

I had a 16" shotgun with ball...I missed both shots thrice so started carrying the .455... Plus guided guns a bit heavy to carry as you already have a rifle or a shotgun.... revolver bit easy CC.....Secondly, i wounded an eland and had o track it... It came out of the bush charging at close range... so i'm thinking of having something i can carry
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 12-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Y’all know this guy ain’t in America, right?

Pigs in SE Asia get a good bit bigger than the ones here. Like Russian boars.
    Last edited by wskinner; 12-05-2019 at 10:24 AM.

Thank you Wskinner....guys, native language is not English so please bare with me....Secondly, not trying to show off or claim of shooting something extra ordinary...shared the pic to only emphasize my hunting need of having at least 5 quick powerful enough shots to kill it on its feet but the damn thing runs so fast that even its dead, still causes fatal injuries......and its never a single boar, minimum 5-8 at times over 20.....
    anything high velocity goes thru and thru giving less impact and is dangerous for people/dogs around ...
    so anything less then 1100 fps with high grain gives better result..

we have different hunting conditions & circumstances.... just to give you guys an idea to Help Out or suggest, look at the videos...
    https://vimeo.com/user90561633/revie...239/a3d5f1cf9c
    https://vimeo.com/user90561633/revie...943/204af14056

This is the Eland i was referring too.... will share boar pics, they are on a different drive.
    Attachment 51712
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 12-05-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Video links aren’t working for me. Would love to see them.
    Last edited by wskinner; 12-05-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Why not go with a Glock G20 and some hot loads
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus View Post
    My Apologies guys for a typo...its 292lbs not kg....we don't have hogs but huge boars, usual size is between 80-200lbs +-...this one was very big and Super fast at close range... honestly, it scared the shit out of us.... I'll post more pics.

I had a 16" shotgun with ball...I missed both shots thrice so started carrying the .455... Plus guided guns a bit heavy to carry as you already have a rifle or a shotgun.... revolver bit easy CC.....Secondly, i wounded an eland and had o track it... It came out of the bush charging at close range... so i'm thinking of having something i can carry
    I’d think a S&W 629 6” with 250-300grn jacketed soft points would be pretty potent while still being controllable for fast follow up shots. Seems the larger hand cannons would cause multiple shots to be more difficult on a charging game animal if the first didn’t work.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

if it was me id get a 454 super redhawk toklat. Will knock the snot out of anything you will ever need to knock. Practice with 45 colts and load the mastodon stoppers for hunting. I had one and had no use for that horsepower and went back to regular 45 colts and 44 mags. They kill just fine for me. Big ol hard cast bullet pushed 1000fps or higher and call it good
    Last edited by Phone Man; 12-05-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CantCareSB View Post
    Why not go with a Glock G20 and some hot loads
    tried...wounded a dog... hot loads ricochet at 10-15 yards...You'd be lucky if you get a straight shot....secondly, its a driven shoot, so people with dogs start making noises and the other end, you're with your gun.... they come from all over.... we don't have tree stands so you have to be vigilant and control your nerves and keep a clear view of which ones are passing by and which is coming straight at you...... I hope these video link works now.

https://streamable.com/benlr
    https://streamable.com/lb8th
    (Pls copy paste in your browser)

I’d think a S&W 629 6” with 250-300grn jacketed soft points would be pretty potent while still being controllable for fast follow up shots. Seems the larger hand cannons would cause multiple shots to be more difficult on a charging game animal if the first didn’t work.
    I've a raging bull .44 mag in 8" barrel.... a .357....but the result this old .455 colt gives me, is amazing.... It looks ugly & old but i trust it with my life....I also have a clip that fits in and converts to accept 45ACP.... but this 270gr soft lead at 980fps hits and expands....i've shot approx. 300+ boars with it and never ever seen a runner... I'm running out of brass.

Attachment 51724
    Attachment 51725
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 12-06-2019 at 12:02 AM.

I have a friend that is an avid handgun hunter. He has taken most of the NA and African plains game with a handgun.
    He has several Freedom Arms revolvers in 475 LB and 500 WE. Both are unpleasant to shoot.
    454 is my comfort limit in an handgun and will handle anything I’d ever want to hunt with one.

Don't be a pussy.....use a knife!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

How did you find this forum? And more importantly, after finding and reading this forum, how did you decide that this was the place for you? Honest question.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

They have a shrine set up for Sportin Woodies in his country, he was delegated to make contact and eventually bring their king home.
    Last edited by charlie horse; 12-06-2019 at 08:08 AM.

That first video is crazy... Looks like the white dog at the end got him a tasty snack.

What about a 45 lc? It should be similar to what you have, but you could still get brass for it. Or, get a 454 and just shoot 45 lc out of it. Are you casting your own bullets?
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    They have a shrine set up for Sportin Woodies in his country, he was delegated to make contact and eventually bring their king home.
    LOL.

I have no idea of how many wild hogs I have killed in all size ranges. What I can say is that a light copper monolothic projectile or FMJ moving at high speeds 2500 fps to 3500 fps trumps all else when applied to the head. I have however also killed several hogs of various sizes with a Glock 22 and also a SnW Shield both in 40 caliber.

Don't overthink it just kill them en mass.
    Last edited by Strick9; 12-06-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    Genesis 9;2