Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Youth 22 rifles ??

Either one would be great. I like the lever youth because he’d still be inclined to use it as he ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Is there a .22 out there besides the 10/22?
    Nope, there isnt. I got a youth model 10/22 for Christmas when I was 6 or 7 years old. I still have it, and have added a red dot to it now that Im older. Its absurdly accurate and parts and accessories are plentiful, as well as magazines. My dad used to load one round per magazine and hand them to me as I learned. I was shooting it this weekend, and its just as good as it was 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Really like my Henry and if I can find one of those I would prefer it . Yes they make a mini bolt. Just saw that on their web site.
    Hard to beat their customer service also.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    Either one would be great. I like the lever youth because he’d still be inclined to use it as he ages.
    Another thing to consider about the lever guns,

every year I’m around a lot of young’uns in the woods with their first .22 or trying to help them get their first squirrel. I love a Henry and tote one 50% of the time but when it comes time for little fingers and hands to ease down the hammer on a live round a lever action isn’t the most kid friendly gun. Most times (if they’re shooting a lever action) if they hit the squirrel I tell them not to work the lever on the gun until it’s time to shoot at the next one or I’ll have to take the gun for a second and let the hammer back down for them.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I've a couple of .22... Inherited from father and bought few my own..... but hands down to CZ 455 .22 scout, weight is 5lbs....Me n kids love it....

for my daughter(8years) recently bought 457 scout .22... weighs 5lbs.... it gives .15/20" 3 shot group at 75.
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 12-02-2019 at 02:06 AM.

We have a lot of 22's. Got a Cricket for my oldest when he was 6. If I had to do it all over again I'd search for something else. I've decked the little Cricket out with a scope and bi-pod, but if you have anything other than kid fingers that thing is a pain in the butt to load. It doesn't have a carrier that guides that the round into the chamber therefore you have to load it directly into the chamber. It doesn't sound like such a big deal but in a confined space, especially under a scope, it can be cumbersome.

I had a similar experience with the Rascal. Great gun overall, but it frequently jammed during loading and fails to eject unless you snap the hell out of the bolt, so my kid has to lose sight picture and shake out the spent brass.

Henry mini bolt is the way to go.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.