Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth 22 rifles ??

Default Youth 22 rifles ??

I have a 5 yr old grandson that loves guns and can tell he will be a hunter (His Dad/My son could care less about hunting ) . I see these youth model 22’s from Henry, Cricket, Savage , etc and was thinking of getting him one . It will stay at our house in safe but could take him to local range to shoot and get him familiar with and something he can use for a few years

Any pros and cons to these models or are they all about the same

Buy him the Henry and he can pass it on.

Both my girls got crickets. Id recommend the rascal though
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

CZ 452 Scout. Not as cheap as some of the others mentioned, but a great, solid little rifle. I shoot mine (bought for my kids years ago) in the yard with CB Longs and it's quieter than most break-barrel pellet guns and very accurate.
    Last edited by MKW; 12-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Rossi single shot 410/.22/243 3 barrel set
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    CZ 452 Scout. Not as cheap as some of the others mentioned, but a great, solid little rifle. I shoot mine (bought for my kids years ago) in the yard with CB Longs and it's quieter than most break-barrel pellet guns and very accurate.
    Discontinued

I’ve been considering the CZ457 scout, which replaced the 455 which replaced the 452. Looks like a great rifle but it weighs 5 lbs. Not sure if that is too heavy for a 6-10 year old?

The Rascal is about half the weight and works well but no option for a magazine to replace the single shot configuration.

The CZ Scout is more like a "real" bolt action rifle. Definitely a more serious kids rifle than the Crickets and the like. Even has (or had) an adjustable trigger.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Yeah, that’s about the only youth model I’m considering outside of the Rascal.

It’s the only other decent rifle I can find with a length of pull less than 12.5”.

Savage has other youth models but LOP is around 13” and that is either too long for a seven year old or my kid has alligator arms.

Rascal has peep sights, which I think is good for training, but they don’t hold zero for shit and there aren’t any affordable aftermarket sights for it that I can find.

Is there a .22 out there besides the 10/22?

A 5 year old needs a BB gun first. Otherwise the songbird populations will get out of whack. The glass and glazier industry also relies on it.

I bought my boy a red Ryder a few months ago. Just trying to teach him safety and understand the dangers before I put a gun in his hand that could kill us. He just turned 6. But my boy might be more high strung than your grandson. I might try to let him shoot a turkey this spring, and a deer next season, but as for ducks and doves I might wait a few more years.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A 5 year old needs a BB gun first. Otherwise the songbird populations will get out of whack. The glass and glazier industry also relies on it.
    He has one of those. Red Ryder. It was actually his Dad’s and he shoots it well

If in your shoes, I would search out a solid Winchester 67A. They are out there. Single shot, open sights, accurate, and a true classic. Walnut and steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Is there a .22 out there besides the 10/22?
    I hate the mag release on the new 10/22’s, I wouldn’t by a new one because of them.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    If in your shoes, I would search out a solid Winchester 67A. They are out there. Single shot, open sights, accurate, and a true classic. Walnut and steel.
    Remington made one almost identical to that called the model 33. My grandfather gave me his when I was 5yrs old as my first gun

Winchester 67 Boys rifle
    Remington Model 6
    Crickett

The most likely option for the first two are gunbroker. I have both and it's a good choice if you want something your grandson can pass down one day.

Another vote for the Henry. I got mine at 7 years old. 22 years later it’s still my squirrel rifle and in great condition.

If I’m not mistaken he’s most likely talking about the Henry mini-bolt, not a lever gun

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    If I’m not mistaken he’s most likely talking about the Henry mini-bolt, not a lever gun

Really like my Henry and if I can find one of those I would prefer it . Yes they make a mini bolt. Just saw that on their web site.