Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypthetical

Default Hypothetical

Lets say UGA had handled their business and not lost to 4-8 South Carolina, at home. There are 4 undefeated teams, and the SEC Championship is inconsequential, as it relates to who gets in the playoff. Would LSU and UGA sit players to keep them healthy? This is what worries me the most about an 8 team playoff.

In an 8 team playoff situation, would Clemson rest Trevor/Travis/Tee/Isaiah? Could you blame them?
    Last edited by trkykilr; 12-05-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Stupid edit button
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

I would think it would depend on how far down the 1 - 8 a loss would make a team fall whether they rested there stars
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

In an 8 man playoff you would rest every player the game/score allowed. Once you are in the playoffs,it's not a beauty contest. A one point win counts the same as a 40 pt blowout.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-05-2019 at 09:37 AM.

I personally wish everybody would STFU about an 8 team playoff. Weve been playing play-in/quarterfinal for the past 3 weeks. Don't lose those games, and you're in. Period.

GA wants to be in? Fine, don't lose to a shithole team at home in October. All they need to be in is beat LSU, if they can't do that, they don't need to be in anyway.
    Utah wants to be in? Fine, don't lose to USC
    OU wants to be in? Fine, beat Baylor
    Baylor wants to be in? Fine, beat OU

If Clemson had lost to UNC, they wouldn't be in, and no Clemson fan would have a reason to bitch because of their SOS. You want in the playoffs, it's simple. WIN YOUR DAMN GAMES
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I think the SEC champ is just as important to both schools. They play starters until they have a commanding lead or the clock hits zero.

For arguments sake, if the east was hot garbage and 4-8 USC was the champ, I say they have the same game plan.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I personally wish everybody would STFU about an 8 team playoff. Weve been playing play-in/quarterfinal for the past 3 weeks. Don't lose those games, and you're in. Period.

GA wants to be in? Fine, don't lose to a shithole team at home in October. All they need to be in is beat LSU, if they can't do that, they don't need to be in anyway.
    Utah wants to be in? Fine, don't lose to USC
    OU wants to be in? Fine, beat Baylor
    Baylor wants to be in? Fine, beat OU

If Clemson had lost to UNC, they wouldn't be in, and no Clemson fan would have a reason to bitch because of their SOS. You want in the playoffs, it's simple. WIN YOUR DAMN GAMES

I agree, my thoughts all along

I like the 4 team format and it is MUCH better than what we had before. At least teams like Clemson have a shot and that is all you can ask for

If you went to 8 teams the next 4 teams would want 12 teams and so on

Personally I like the Bowl system and the way it is working out

Media is so biased on SEC, Big 10 and Notre Dame it is sickening so at least with the CFP we some what leave their hands out of it and let teams take care of themselves

IF UGA, Clemson, OSU all win Saturday I think it is same 4 teams just in different order and I could see UGA v Clemson and LSU v OSU

If LSU wins finebaum will make argument for Bama to be in top 4 LOL

IF Tigers loose in ACC Championship game they are OUT, may not be quite fair but it will fall back on SOS

Funny thing about this is the main team that is going to be left out every year unless they run the table is ND since they are not in a conference , they could possibly get in with a 1 loss record depending on who else has a loss but it is going to be tough on them I am sure the Irish faithful will start whining in a year or so when the ass whipping they got the last 2 times they were in the NC game or CFP

As for sitting starters, I can see taking them out out in second half but you can not play worried about getting hurt
    Last edited by tprice; 12-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.

I dont think they would sit starters for Conference championship games, but i definitely think they would manage rosters throughout the year differently. LSU could have sat starters against A&M, but would Alabama sit players against Auburn? That is why the SEC instituted Cupcake week in week 11. To rest starters for "championship run."

I do not want 8. I would accept 6. 5 conference champs and ONE wildcard. Wildcard could be a great group of 5 team like UCF a few years ago or best non champion in Power 5. Top two seeds get byes. Nobody is going to sit starters and risk losing the bye week.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post

I do not want 8. I would accept 6. 5 conference champs and ONE wildcard. Wildcard could be a great group of 5 team like UCF a few years ago or best non champion in Power 5. Top two seeds get byes. Nobody is going to sit starters and risk losing the bye week.

I could go with this format. Like Feets said, eight is too many. There will always be the 1st 3 left out crying they deserved the last spot. ESPN has a special after the 64 team March Madness annoucement. Their March Madness Show right after is discussing the 4-5 teams that got the shaft.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-05-2019 at 10:16 AM.

The playoff purpose is find the best team in that nation. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't have six. A bye week for #1 and #2 is too big of an advantage vs the rest of the field in college football. I know it works in the pros, but it doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Can't have six. A bye week for #1 and #2 is too big of an advantage vs the rest of the field in college football. I know it works in the pros, but it doesn't seem right.
    it was ok for Alabama when they didnt play in the SEC champ game in 17. And if they had beaten Auburn last week the committee would have done everything in their power to put them in this year.

If byes are bad then non division winners should be disqualified.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post

If byes are bad then non division winners should be disqualified.
    Yep.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    The playoff purpose is find the best team in that nation. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    unless it doesn't include Climp5in

UGA doesn't not belong in it. period

Clemson, OSU, LSU are the 3 best teams. everyone else is less than. doesnt mean a 4 5 or 6 couldnt beat a 1 2 or 3. thats why you play the game. this year is a perfect example why the current system isnt so bad. the best teams are in and have a shot.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I think the margin of victory between 1 and 4, 2 and 3, and even the natty last year tell us all we need to know about what an 8 team playoff brings to the table. If you wanted to see more blow outs you should have stayed off the boat or out of the woods and watch u of sc get whooped all year.

I don't know the answer to the question, but I believe there are bonuses on the line for the staff if they win a conference championship.

If you’re OSU would you sit Fields today? You could make a compelling case.

No. They gotta win the conference championship, cause they ain’t winning the playoff.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.