Thread: Hand held GPS

Default Hand held GPS

I need one.

There are a lot out there. Mainly hunting purposes. Fairly confident I’ll be heading to WY next year as my preference points are at a drawable level in a good unit for speed goats.

What research I’ve done has me looking as Garmin GPSMap64 or Garmin Montana.

I like the emergency signal feature and the communication between gps unit features. Camera is a plus but not a must. Birdseye satellite imagery a plus.

Whatcha got?

Cabelas has one in their Black Friday paper. 64st for $169
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

I’ve got a 64st, I like it alright. I bought it to use in places where my phone gps doesn’t work, and it works for that. I rarely use it though since my phone gps seems to work most places and is way more user friendly.

For what you’re doing id make sure my phone won’t work before investing in a handheld.

Someone on here, maybe Feet's, was talking about an app he uses that doesn't require cell service or something along those lines. Seems like this discussion was brought up last year.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 11-30-2019 at 08:43 PM.

I’m not using my phone as main gps it will be a secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Someone on here, maybe Feet's, was talking about an app he uses that doesn't require cell service or something along those lines. Seems like this discussion was brought up last year.
    I’ve asked a few things about going out west. I searched but didn’t see it. That doesn’t mean anything though.

Onxhunt app, download areas prior to trip in order to use offline. Very user friendly plus it'll have all the property lines etc

I’ll have onx. Probably buy the chip for the gps vs phone. Maybe both but I’ll certainly have it.

I have the 64st and the InReach. They both are very similar, do everything you would expect and function without issue even way out in Montana etc. If you want to spring for the InReach you will be disappointed at all, the peace of mind is nice.

I have a Montana and it has worked well for me. The BirdsEye satellite imagery is also nice