Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SC hunting accident

Yea that father will never get over that absolutely heartbreaking.

Man that makes my heart hurt. Can not imagine what those folks are going through.

Prayers sent to all.

It hits close to home guys, his Mom has cut my hair a few times and the family owns Stockhaven Nursery about ten mins from me near Springfield. Good people. Really has me thinking about when my nephew and niece hunt with us. They are close to the same age that Colton was. Prayers for the family and especially the young Father. He will never be the same person. Very tragic.

This really hits hard and I can’t come close to imagining how the father feels. Prayers up for the family.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t understand how you could mistake a small child in the bushes for an animal
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

If there has ever been a time to keep the criticism down I think this is it. I promise you this poor guy is feeling more guilt than anyone on this site ever will.

I’m sure what I said has crossed the mind of everyone that read this.

Although tragic, this was most likely preventable through some basic gun safety and that’s a topic I won’t tiptoe around. This situation should serve as a reminder to all of us to make sure we properly identify a target and remembering that there is absolutely no room for any type of horseplay when guns are involved.

My prayers are with the family during their time of loss.

Quote Originally Posted by teal74 View Post
    If there has ever been a time to keep the criticism down I think this is it. I promise you this poor guy is feeling more guilt than anyone on this site ever will.

this. nor do I believe everything I read on scducks

Heart breaking.

Prayers for the family and all involved.

The story was on the local news here last night, showed a picture of the little guy holding up a striper he had caught.
    God bless him and his family

Just read in the news the boys organs will go towards saving three peoples lives. Prayers to the boys family for sure.

Heartbreaking.

Maybe I didn't read the right comment, but I haven't read any criticism.
    These kind of things are sad and unfortunate but also avoidable and preventable. Unless it's talked about in the open, people don't learn.
    Very sad, dissapointing, and unfortunate....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Turns out I know the child’s aunt and uncle, they are a subcontractor of mine. They were schedule to do some work this morning and canceled on me last night due to a family tragedy (as they worded it). I called to check on them this morning and this was the tragedy.

From what I’ve been told they were about to change to a different hunting spot. Two young boys were told to go to the truck and wait while they finished catching the dogs. For some reason the one decided to lay down in the bushes/large patch of broom straw. In the midst of catching dogs they jumped a rabbit and apparently the rabbit ran into where the child was laying. The father knew the rabbit went in and didn’t know the child was there. About the time the dogs and rabbit came through the boy decided to get up and that’s when the father shot.

Edited: Previous post answers my suspicions. Thought a scenario like that was much more plausible and wondered if the mistaken identity angle was folks jumping to conclusions. Either way, little comfort to the father.
    Last edited by Kioti; 12-02-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Turns out I know the child’s aunt and uncle, they are a subcontractor of mine. They were schedule to do some work this morning and canceled on me last night due to a family tragedy (as they worded it). I called to check on them this morning and this was the tragedy.

From what I’ve been told they were about to change to a different hunting spot. Two young boys were told to go to the truck and wait while they finished catching the dogs. For some reason the one decided to lay down in the bushes/large patch of broom straw. In the midst of catching dogs they jumped a rabbit and apparently the rabbit ran into where the child was laying. The father knew the rabbit went in and didn’t know the child was there. About the time the dogs and rabbit came through the boy decided to get up and that’s when the father shot.
    That's heartbreaking. I was impressed by the strength of the family in the article I read today.

I've witnessed 2 deaths during my hunting trips.... and this is the reason i avoid going out with new gunners or people i don't know.
    A guy shot his brother in a waterfowl hide.... The brother stood up and the other one fired while sitting, hit em on the head, died on the spot.
    Second incident happened in Bulgaria, we called off the hunt... Husband and wife packed guns and left....We heard a rifle bang, the husband forgot to unchamber the round, the rifle went off from the case, through truck and killed the poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I invited a guy I know with good dogs to run some of my land last year. My uncle heard about to asked if he could come. Told him ya, no problem. So the day before the hunt I went to Walmart and bought some cheap blaze orange hats and vests. When everyone showed up everyone, but my uncle already had on orange. I handed him one of the hats I bought and he said "what's that for, I'm not wearing orange". I told him that he could either put it on or leave.
    I'm glad that you did that otherwise this happens.
    Attachment 51668

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post

Damn, prayers sent, that unimaginable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.