16 11.76%
  • Depends on shooters experience

79 58.09%
  • Shoot the bitch any where you can!!

14 10.29%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Are neck shots ethical for the average hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Every shot at a deer comes with the risk of losing it. In the thick brush of most South Carolina clubs, a neck shoot is way, way less likely to be lost than a heart shot. In my opinion.
    i think this is another interesting debate. I think the margin of error is actually smaller.

and by "plenty", I mean way more than ZERO which is the number they would've found.

and I think "way, way less likely" is "way, way too strong", to quote you....

I tried really hard to make sure I worded my response as carefully as I could. I guess I failed. Again.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 12-03-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The answer is to use the high shoulder aim point. IMHO only of course.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    YEEEEEPPPPP!!!!
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Of course. Aim shoot pick up deer. Little meat lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was taught and grew up shooting the shoulder because of dog hunting. Until I was 19, I dog hunted basically every weekend of the season. Week days were for still hunting.

but someone said that's way, way more likely to be lost than a neck shot.

my point is for anyone reading this to make their own judgement.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I guess I failed. Again.
    Haha - now go fix someone's tooth...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

i know your hero and I trust him....

HOWEVER, I've found plenty of dead deer for those "neck shooters" who didnt even go and look bc the deer didnt drop dead.

I think its important for those that have less experience at deer hunting to understand that shooting at the neck does not always mean a deer that drops dead. There is a lot of neck and only a percentage of it is a quick kill.

I strongly suggest taking a different shot.
    2th is correct and the rest are suffering from post decision anxiety..

Many years ago I shot for the neck on a big buck that smelled a rat and wouldn't turn sideways. I never saw him after the recoil and never found a drop of blood. He was in a narrow firebreak. One week later a guest killed him chasing a doe. He had a softball size hole in the side of his neck. I had pulled the shot about 4 inches at 100 yds. It was nasty. 190 lb 10 pt.

Never again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    2th is correct and the rest are suffering from post decision anxiety..

Many years ago I shot for the neck on a big buck that smelled a rat and wouldn't turn sideways. I never saw him after the recoil and never found a drop of blood. He was in a narrow firebreak. One week later a guest killed him chasing a doe. He had a softball size hole in the side of his neck. I had pulled the shot about 4 inches at 100 yds. It was nasty. 190 lb 10 pt.

Never again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Last deer I lost was a 200+ # 6 point. As I stated above, I shoot bucks in the shoulder. Perfect broadside, vertical cross hair even with the front leg, horizontal just under center of the body. Squeezed it off from a solid rest 110 yds away. He flopped, cut a circle and then he was gone. Found a small amount of blood for about 80 yds. I am not as good trailing in the daytime as I am with a light but I looked for several hours. Then, road through the Slough looking and smelling for a couple days. Never recovered him. Killed one that same evening following the same procedure. Nothing is ever 100% garenteed.

Best practice, is do what you are comfortable with in your abilities and equipment... Oh, and do not be a cunt.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    And this is the difference between you and the people I am talking about. I am talking about people who intentionally gut shout a hog so it will run off and die later somewhere else, and then brag about it.

And I will add that I am fully aware that just because I have an opinion, that doesn’t make me right. It’s just how I feel. I gut shot my first deer when I was a kid. He suffered greatly and it took hours to find him and finish him off. Made me sick then and makes me sick 45 years later. It’s just a pet peeve of mine. I’m not perfect and don’t claim to be.
    My first was the same way. It hasn’t happened since and I do everything I can to make sure it doesn’t.

Situations sometimes dictate the shot placement as Catdaddy pointed out. We sit several cotton fields and if they get off the edge or stand up in the field, you have a tough neck/head shot. Given the chance I'm always boiler room. But if I feel confident and am sure of the rifle, I'll pinch neck/head. Eyes aren't what they used to be and not being sure has saved 2 studs their life this year.

you guys so lucky that you get to shoot under 150....the closest i got was around 194.... usually between 300-500 yards...or if go further north up in the mountains, 400-700 yards....its not that I'm a marksman its because we don't have an option, cant sneak up
    Attachment 51738
    Attachment 51739

Coming back to the question.... The first time i went to Africa, i got a 5000$ package for 5 days/ 5 animals.....i lost 2 animals, once fired and hit, it counts 1 animal whether its dead or lost.....what a waste that was.......on another occasion, i shot a gazelle at 240 and got em on the thigh, tracked it for hours but couldn't find out. later few days, i went again and found a gazelle half eaten by coyotes, i felt bad because it was missing a leg....

There onward, i practiced and practiced to know what round/load/scope/rifle will do at different range.....i personally believe that i'm not ruthless killer and will not take the shot until i'm sure.....In my part of the world, we don't kill doe... never the Head or Neck as it ruins the trophy, if its young male, let it go.

All our kills are in the neck with a 22/mag. They never move more than 3 steps and are DRT. Course the longest shot is about 20yds + or -
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    All our kills are in the neck with a 22/mag. They never move more than 3 steps and are DRT. Course the longest shot is about 20yds + or -
    Cool ,what about a deer over hundred yards and its a grown buck ,you just let it walk im assuming

Quote Originally Posted by FREAK View Post
    Cool ,what about a deer over hundred yards and its a grown buck ,you just let it walk im assuming
    He's meat hunting in his back yard... maybe side yard. Hence the 22/mag.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 12-06-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    In the thick brush of most South Carolina clubs, a neck shoot is way, way less likely to be lost than a heart shot. In my opinion.
    I completely respect your opinion and I'm not trying to start a pissing match but I believe this is completely false, and like yours, this is only my opinion. If you pull of a successful "heart shot" then that deer is dead and you should not have to track it far at all.. My dad is a neck shooter. He has lost one deer that i know of when I was very young. The deer dropped and while he was climbing down the tree it stood up and ran off bleeding like a stuck pig for a while, but to never be found. I've never lost a deer that was hit in the heart and I don't think its possible to lose one if you look for it correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I completely respect your opinion and I'm not trying to start a pissing match but I believe this is completely false, and like yours, this is only my opinion. If you pull of a successful "heart shot" then that deer is dead and you should not have to track it far at all.. My dad is a neck shooter. He has lost one deer that i know of when I was very young. The deer dropped and while he was climbing down the tree it stood up and ran off bleeding like a stuck pig for a while, but to never be found. I've never lost a deer that was hit in the heart and I don't think its possible to lose one if you look for it correctly.
    It's hard to blood trail in swamp water

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Not being a smart ass , serious question. How many have you attempted a heart shot on, ended up gut shot and never found?

05FC4823-0EF6-490E-BF3F-17B4952E3A76.jpg

Neck shots with VLDs are not ethical at all. This Ol girl ran exactly zero steps post shot and both shoulders/straps were fully intact for processing.
    Last edited by wiz18; 12-09-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    He's meat hunting in his back yard... maybe side yard. Hence the 22/mag.
    Yep.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"