16 11.76%
  • Depends on shooters experience

79 58.09%
  • Shoot the bitch any where you can!!

14 10.29%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Are neck shots ethical for the average hunter

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    All our kills are in the neck with a 22/mag. They never move more than 3 steps and are DRT. Course the longest shot is about 20yds + or -
    I have actually sat in the stand with a 22mag several times this year. All I’ve seen while carrying it have been small bucks and I’ve let them walk, I’m waiting on a doe. Some people may not agree with it but it is legal on private land and I am very confident in my ability to kill one with it. I plan to kill one with the rimfire this year and one with a pistol next year hopefully and then I’ll probably never hunt deer with either again.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

E89D9099-6E23-47B8-9B33-F68D9EF130C9.jpgD5ED271C-6D1D-4576-8C1C-D7D015D264B9.jpgA buddy of mine got this deer on a camera this week. We are assuming it’s a neck shot gone bad - but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I completely respect your opinion and I'm not trying to start a pissing match but I believe this is completely false, and like yours, this is only my opinion. If you pull of a successful "heart shot" then that deer is dead and you should not have to track it far at all.. My dad is a neck shooter. He has lost one deer that i know of when I was very young. The deer dropped and while he was climbing down the tree it stood up and ran off bleeding like a stuck pig for a while, but to never be found. I've never lost a deer that was hit in the heart and I don't think its possible to lose one if you look for it correctly.
    I’m with you. Barring swamp water (which if close to one you should be taking DRT shots anyways) a heart shot deer is going to die, and not too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I have actually sat in the stand with a 22mag several times this year. All I’ve seen while carrying it have been small bucks and I’ve let them walk, I’m waiting on a doe. Some people may not agree with it but it is legal on private land and I am very confident in my ability to kill one with it. I plan to kill one with the rimfire this year and one with a pistol next year hopefully and then I’ll probably never hunt deer with either again.
    We killed 6 hogs last week with our .22 mags. Behind the shoulder and through the heart lung. 40 to 200 lb pigs. A properly placed 40 grain jacketed hollow point does incredible damage. I've killed a 7 pt with it too.

I bought my .22 mag from TRAD.........it's a gun I'll cherish forever.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

thats road rash
    and maybe we should discuss "gravity" in your gravity feeder....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    and maybe we should discuss "gravity" in your gravity feeder....
    LMAO......
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    We killed 6 hogs last week with our .22 mags. Behind the shoulder and through the heart lung. 40 to 200 lb pigs. A properly placed 40 grain jacketed hollow point does incredible damage. I've killed a 7 pt with it too.

I bought my .22 mag from TRAD.........it's a gun I'll cherish forever.
    I 2nd you... have shot many boars with .22LR eye/ear shot, they drop on the feet.....This 1 was shot from 40 yards with .22 40gr ear shot....however, for deer, either the shoulder or heart only.
    Attachment 51864

If one is concerned about a swamp or thicket nearby, why not just shoot high shoulder? Dead right there every time. Also larger margin for error than a neck shot and they don't run like with a heart shot.
    Carolina Counsel

I keep hearing high shoulder and I dont doubt the overall lethality of the shot but I can recall two larger bucks over the years that toted a high shoulder shot from a 150 grain 30-06 like a champ and run off to never be recovered. Both shots broadside less than 40 yards.
    I quit using core lokts after the second one ran off.

I shot a buck years ago high shoulder, about 60yrds. Deer dropped like a rock. I had my son about 10 with me, he said let’s go look at the deer. I said no. We waited about 20 minutes till dark, walked 250 to the truck , returned to get the deer and no deer.
    I looked for 2 hrs that night, and 5 hrs the next morning. I found one drop of blood the size of a quarter about 30 away. That was it. All I can figure is I hit the perfect spot to paralyze him temporarily with no spine / vascular damage. Damndest thing I’d seen to that point.
    I guess nothing is a sure DRT thing.

My guess is that your “high shoulder” is too high in the shoulder. Half way up plus a few inches and you crush both lungs and shoulders, as well as possibly disrupting some of the CNS.
    Carolina Counsel

My daughter has killed 4 deer. 3 of the 4 were heart shots DRT. The 4th was a sharper angle than she was used to and it ran 20ish yards. I'll take/choose the heart shot on most every deer.

"They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I took a shoulder shot last night, it worked. My normal is more double lung/heart. The lack of tracking on the double shoulder is quite nice though. 11 min sit was nice too.

I try to make sure I take a heart/lung shot when the deer is at the peak of inhaling. The increased surface area of the lungs ensures maximum chance of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    E89D9099-6E23-47B8-9B33-F68D9EF130C9.jpgD5ED271C-6D1D-4576-8C1C-D7D015D264B9.jpgA buddy of mine got this deer on a camera this week. We are assuming it’s a neck shot gone bad - but who knows.
    How'd he manage to get the orange collar on that squirrel?
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Not being a smart ass , serious question. How many have you attempted a heart shot on, ended up gut shot and never found?
    Wasnt taken as being a smart ass at all.. But, tbh i shoot the shoulder or behind the shoulder 99% of the time. I've been fortunate enough to not lose a deer (knock on wood) that i've hit with a bow or rifle (I have completely missed with both.) Now I am younger and haven't killed nearly as many deer as most on this site, i'm sure, but have killed my share. I honestly don't want to hit them in the heart as I like to eat the heart. But the ones I have hit in the heart have ran less than 30 yards, normally within my sight.
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Are y'all seriously still bitching about which shot kills a deer deader/more dead/deadest................
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.