Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flounder Regulations

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    they just closed flounder in NC, reopening in August
    We talking about SC not NC
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I’m far from knowledgeable when it comes to flounder or saltwater fishing. I caught my first ever rod and reel flounder back in June. Caught three for the week. All three were undersized. What if it was no size limit, limit of 5 per person, and those five being the first ones you catch, you keep? Say 15 per boat limit? Same for gigging. That way the ones who swallow the bait aren’t going off and dying, and if you stick one that is a 1/2” off from being legal, then you can still keep it.

It has been proposed to make a similar fishery to striped bass on Murray, keep the first five. But I don't want to kill any fish less than 14in, no meat, no sense in killing it.

Some spots you catch 5 little fish before you catch a big one. The smaller fish tend to be more agressive.

A few weeks ago I caught some 15in fish on 5in mullet trying to just catch big ones.

Idk why the commercial guys get them pass and the rec guys get hammered. Look at any species that is hurting and see where the cause arises.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

They passed that a couple of years ago on Murray. first 5 regardless until end of September then back to 21"
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Idk why the commercial guys get them pass and the rec guys get hammered. Look at any species that is hurting and see where the cause arises.
    No doubt, look at red snapper... They get 6 months and we get 6 days.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Shutdown ain't gonna happen even if it needs to be. To much economic impact. Need to get a handle on how many people gig um to really do a study. Permit is the only way imo. I don't like another tax but. Cut the limit a lot. You on the right track.

YOU were on the SAFMC???? Im not sure which- your grammar or the content of your posts which make me think you’re an ignorant shithead...

Of course you’d prefer a tax on the gig but not regulate the commercial fockwads who rape and pillage the bottom with their gear... you were in favor of shutting down snapper based on data from Florida. Dipshits abound
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

I’d wager a lot of what you are seeing are smaller species of flounder, not southerns. Hog chokers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    I've been dragging several times in the Saint Helena. It's incredible how many 3-5" flounder are caught. There are less shrimping operations than there used to be so I doubt shrimping is the root cause. Closure isn't the answer, not sure what is... maybe less yankees?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

We talking about SC not NC
    Keep thinking they won’t close it because of
    the economy. SC is watching NC. You don’t think
    NC commercial fishing is a big business?

Yea but NC is way ahead of how SC thinks

Made drags last week as far south as ossabaw sound. Drug for 6 days and 2 legal flounder were caught. May have seen a dozen undersized.

Quote Originally Posted by usrgce View Post
    Made drags last week as far south as ossabaw sound. Drug for 6 days and 2 legal flounder were caught. May have seen a dozen undersized.
    Not sure exactly what your point is but curious. Are you saying there used to be more, or that you generally don’t catch that many? Also, I would bet time of year and water temp matters quite a bit as they tend to move offshore when it cools down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? They still allow commercial netting for redfish, trout and flounder.... the commercial lobby (which you may benefit from financially based on your thoughts) buys votes ... wtf
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

decrease per person limit and boat limit. more people may be striking than the old days but I don't believe this is the root cause of decrease. if anything ban generators and trolling motors. go back to dc powered lamp and poling the boat.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    decrease per person limit and boat limit. more people may be striking than the old days but I don't believe this is the root cause of decrease. if anything ban generators and trolling motors. go back to dc powered lamp and poling the boat.
    If by decrease, you mean decrease in flounder population, shrimp boat bycatch is devastating. If commercial shrimping was shut down for two years, the flounder population would explode. And those are the words of a shrimper to me last week.

Has anyone fished VA lately? It’s been 15 years since I have. Back then it was 16 inches I think. It looks like it’s 18.5 inches and a four fish limit. Back in the day we had some fantastic fishing. Wonder how their fishery is?
    Last edited by CreekGeek; 11-30-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If by decrease, you mean decrease in flounder population, shrimp boat bycatch is devastating. If commercial shrimping was shut down for two years, the flounder population would explode. And those are the words of a shrimper to me last week.
    well if a shrimper said it, it must be true and scientific.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

As you probably know, I appreciate smartassery more than most. But you don’t have to have a degree in biology to know that when you’re routinely standing knee deep in undersized flounder by-catch across the stern of a 100’ shrimp boat that you’re doing some damage to the resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    As you probably know, I appreciate smartassery more than most. But you don’t have to have a degree in biology to know that when you’re routinely standing knee deep in undersized flounder by-catch across the stern of a 100’ shrimp boat that you’re doing some damage to the resource.
    When is the last time you were on a commercial shrimp boat?