Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flounder Regulations

Default Flounder Regulations

Changes are coming. The 30 year stock assessments show a decline.

The goal in SC will be a reduction of recreational and commercial harvest.

The methods to reduce the harvest by (x) percent is what I am interested in. We all know NC shut down to achieve their goal.

I personally would rather see a decreased bag limit and increased size limit rather than a seasonal closure. Boat limit 5/6/8/10 fish instead of 20?

I also do not like the idea of a slot limit on flounder.

One point the biologists mentioned is they have little idea how many people are gigging fish. I wouldn't be opposed to an arbitrary $5-10 permit for gigging just like a bush hook or trot line permit. This would at least let us know how many people are gigging fish.

I've been tagging flounder for the past year and have some fish recaptured growing up to 3 inches in 3 months.

What does the scducks brain trust think? There is change coming and if we don't get in touch with our reps, the changes will more than likely not be favorable.

I’m just glad they’ve finally realized the need to do something more drastic than the creel limit reduction that’s already occurred. I’ve been at it for 25 years and the decline in numbers I catch is significant. Considering how many groups I see going over the bridge on a calm night, I don’t think gigging can be overlooked as a source of the problem.

Shut down shrimping and the flounder will be fine.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Lot less shrimp oats now than there were years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Shut down shrimping and the flounder will be fine.
    I've been dragging several times in the Saint Helena. It's incredible how many 3-5" flounder are caught. There are less shrimping operations than there used to be so I doubt shrimping is the root cause. Closure isn't the answer, not sure what is... maybe less yankees?

5 fish limit over 17”
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    5 fish limit over 17”
    I'm good with this. Boat limit is the next question.

Currently set at 20 fish.

Gigging is definitely an effective way to harvest fish. In the last 10 years the lights have come a long way.

It's much more efficient than a gas lantern and a pitchfork when I went for the first time.

I've only been targeting flounder hook and line a few years. I've stuck many inshore and offshore.

There are a lot more people fishing/gigging than 30 years ago. Granted, a lot of them can't catch a flounder but some are very effective at gigging and rod and reel too.

Reduction in limits I think would be the first step. I used to gig a fair amount when I had time and 15-20 fish nights were not uncommon. There are a ton more people gigging in the chas area than there used to be. We would go and not ever see another boat and as of a few years ago when I last went we would see at least 5 other boats on any given night. If you add that up collectively, they are harvesting a ton of fish. No where near what you see in the commercial operations that went on forever in NC. Some of the problem is that the breeding females are the larger fish, which are obviously the ones specifically targeted when gigging as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    I'm good with this. Boat limit is the next question.

Currently set at 20 fish.

Gigging is definitely an effective way to harvest fish. In the last 10 years the lights have come a long way.

It's much more efficient than a gas lantern and a pitchfork when I went for the first time.

I've only been targeting flounder hook and line a few years. I've stuck many inshore and offshore.

There are a lot more people fishing/gigging than 30 years ago. Granted, a lot of them can't catch a flounder but some are very effective at gigging and rod and reel too.
    This is the problem...

I am all for 5 or 8 fish limit, and up it to 16-17" minimum.

Hell I don’t want to clean 20 flounder.... and a good Fish has a high proportion of meat/bones
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Shutdown ain't gonna happen even if it needs to be. To much economic impact. Need to get a handle on how many people gig um to really do a study. Permit is the only way imo. I don't like another tax but. Cut the limit a lot. You on the right track.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Size limits and boat limits. 5/person or 10/boat. Most people ain't fishing 3 effectively outta a jon boat anyways. As for gigging, permits & more restrictive size limit than hook/line. It's been a while since I've gigged SC waters, but if it has gotten like NC, there are boats everywhere. Making it more restrictive than hook/line will raise an argument on here I am sure, but I can cover 2x the ground gigging compared to when I'm hook/line fishing.

What has gone on in NC in regards to Flounder is an absolute joke. Closing rec fishing/gigging, while allowing anyone with a commercial license to harvest flounder is not the solution. Guides are still allowed to take customers out and catch/keep limits as well. I doubt this has any positive effects on the populations, as gill netting is also legal in NC. The commercial cash that is funneled into political decisions in NC is astronomical, and the decisions show it.

I hope we don't make the same mistakes in SC in regards to flounder sustainability

The 20 fish limit is absurd. 10 per boat would be more reasonable. A slot limit or even minimum size limit will mean a lot of undersized ones will get thrown back dead by giggers. It sucks to have to throw back a gut hooked undersized fish too. I'd prefer no size limit and let them keep the small ones instead of wasting them. Size and slot limits seem to ignore the effect of release mortality. The more narrow the slot, the more wasted dead fish while trying to get a limit of legal ones.

I too remember going gigging in Charleston harbor and never seeing another boat, except the Navy Yard guard boats that would run us off. The last time I went in the harbor, it seemed like there was a boat on every bank with stadium lighting like a bow fishing boat. I bet the harbor pilots hate them.

Lower size limit to 13" and creel to 5 per angler, 10 per boat. Male flounder don't get much larger than 14", so increases in size limit (where we currently are) guarantees only female fish are taken. Reduction in boat limit will deter many of the guys going out 5-7 days a week, sticking 20+ fish, and selling them. I believe some areas are affected more by recreational anglers than others, but different limits for different areas wouldn't work.

Why change the limit. If there are a 50 boats maxing out the limit every day that is 7000 a week. I️ promos the shrimpers kill more than that in one haul. I go throw the net to catch bait and end up gilling half a dozen. I can only imagine what a net does dragging the bottom for hrs. Maybe they should cut back on commercial shrimp season.
    Last edited by 12341234; 11-27-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Why change the limit. If there are a 50 boats maxing out the limit every day that is 7000 a week. I️ promos the shrimpers kill more than that in one haul. I go throw the net to catch bait and end up gilling half a dozen. I can only imagine what a net does dragging the bottom for hrs. Maybe they should cut back on commercial shrimp season.
    That's a good point and I don't have the answer. I wouldn't want to see the local commercial fishing industry go away, which it sounds like you're insinuating. Working towards a solution on both fronts, recreational and commercial, seems logical. I don't have a recommendation for the commercial kill, but do for the recreational.

So punish the common man? The commercial guys could just increase price to offset production loss. The people who buy fresh local will still buy them.

Trawlers are indeed a huge problem and not only for flounder. The bycatch ratio in some places is horrible. They also scour the bottom and prevent or discourage the establishment of live bottoms. I don't know a solution or better way to selectively catch shrimp other than cast netting and that isn't scalable to commercial quantities.

Years ago I was flying out of Charleston Exec airport on Johns Island on the opening day of shrimp trawling season. I was stunned by the paisley pattern of muddy trawler trials in the nearshore waters. There wasn't much area left unscathed. I wonder how different the fish populations would be if much of that area was covered in live bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Shutdown ain't gonna happen even if it needs to be. To much economic impact.
    they just closed flounder in NC, reopening in August

I lived in Alabama for a bit where pulling a 16' net was legal with a non commercial license. I found a net on craigslist and started pulling it with my 15' high tide (probably not a great idea but oh well). It always amazed me how much stuff I would catch other than shrimp. Maybe everyone on here gets it but I think most people out there don't understand the affects of a trawl net.