Thread: Scope Comparison Question

Default Scope Comparison Question

To those of you who know your scopes, how would you compare the Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 mm overall optics to the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 mm and the Swarovski 4-12x50 mm scopes? I've never looked through this Leupold model so I have no comparison knowledge above the VX-III and VX-3 glass.

Thanks for your help.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I have the VX-5HD but have not had the opportunity to side-by-side compare it with the scopes you list. But I'll say I'm very happy with the glass and will be buying more of them. I'm running the 3-15x44 with the illuminated duplex and the CDS turret on my Creedmoor and it's been flawless so far. Soon will take the Trijicon off my Grendel AR and replace it with the VX-5HD 2.5-10x42...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

The VX5 is more comparable to the Z5. Heads and shoulders above the Vari X3 or VX3s which were very good scopes in their day. I’ve never put them side by side but I have shot the Z3 a good bit and I would buy the VX5. Better features IMO.
    If they would add a few Mil or Moa hashes to the VX5 firedot reticle, you would have one of the best hunting scopes on the market IMO. The CDS ZL track true and returned to zero.

Great info. Thanks, guys.

And you’re right, FLS, about adding illumination to something like their Boone & Crocket reticle, etc.

The only thing I don’t like about the scope is the unnecessary 30 mm tube and the extra weight that goes with it. It’s not intended to be a long range target scope, and the larger tube isn’t needed out to 600 yds or so, or if they had a good ballistic hunting reticle.
    ~ George Washington

Wish they’d offer a #4 in more of their optics. They had them in the 6 for a few years. I keep hearing goof things but have gotten partial to the #4 with a turret. Seems you have to go to the European optics to get those features.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Love my VX5. You will not be disappointed
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I own both. The vx5 is a better optic imo. I’m not super impressed with the z3 line from Swarovski. It is their entry level scope to be fair. The locking turret on the vx5 tracks true and is very simple to run, and leupold sends you 1 free one with purchase, all you have to do is send in your data. Mine is spot on to 400y, which is as far as I have shot it.

I'd like to see a Firedot TMR reticle available in the VX-5 line... for a quasi-Mk12 build.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I’ve never really liked the #4 reticle for the sole reason that in the shaded areas or woods that I hunt, the lack of the top reticle post inhibits my ability to easily locate where the reticle center point is. Maybe it’s just my older eyes...?

As for the turrets, I‘ve never had a need to ‘dial in’ and thus haven’t really cared about exposed knobs. If the zeroing of the reticle tracks true, I am happy. I might feel differently if I hunted over food plots and could take my time to zero in on a deer, but when often having only a few seconds to range and/or decide if or where to shoot, I want clean, clear reticles zeroed with a known point-blank-range, and a simple MOA ballistic reticle is even better.

The Swaro Habicht AV and Z3 are the best scopes I’ve ever owned, so I can’t speak to the better ones that many of you have. I don’t like the Z3 as well as the old Habicht scopes, although they claim they are the same. They’re still better than my others, so I’m good for now.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-27-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    ~ George Washington

That’s what the dot is for. To each their own, I like the speed of it and the clear uncluttered view the 4 gives. I’m just not a fan of busy reticles for hunting purposes. Most of these scope makers have trended to the Tommy Tactikool look in them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I'd like to see a Firedot TMR reticle available in the VX-5 line... for a quasi-Mk12 build.
    I’ve had the previous version of this on an AR that I shoot in DM style matches. It’s a really good scope. The glass comes out of Light Optical in Japan. The high end Bushnells don’t get the respect they deserve. I’ve had a DMR and ERS on my match rifles for several years.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/bushne...iation=1971935

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    That’s what the dot is for. To each their own, I like the speed of it and the clear uncluttered view the 4 gives. I’m just not a fan of busy reticles for hunting purposes. Most of these scope makers have trended to the Tommy Tactikool look in them.
    Salty, I understand your point and agree with the uncluttered look, it just doesn’t work as well for me when the bottom post all but disappears in some hunting scenarios. It may not happen with the heavier side and bottom post often included with the #4, I don’t know.

Likewise, I also agree with trying to use these busy tactical or target reticles for hunting. I can’t see how it can be done easily. The one I think I’ll like is the BRH design on the Swarovski scopes. The only thing better would be to have illuminated dots at each cross section.

4C1677EA-A357-424D-BCEC-ECFEAAE41245.jpeg
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 11-27-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    ~ George Washington

You have to step up to the Z6i in Swarovski to get illumination. I looked at the VX5HD today at PSA because EuroOptic has some of last year’s models with the 4 Firedot, I’ll take the S&B Klassik’s they have on sale with the BDC any day. The VX5HD is a nice optic but the controls and glass are better and so is the price right now on the Klassik.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    You have to step up to the Z6i in Swarovski to get illumination. I looked at the VX5HD today at PSA because EuroOptic has some of last year’s models with the 4 Firedot, I’ll take the S&B Klassik’s they have on sale with the BDC any day. The VX5HD is a nice optic but the controls and glass are better and so is the price right now on the Klassik.
    This is the Klassic you were referring to?

https://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Be...4-811-482.aspx

Unfortunately, I'm no longer in a position to just pop a couple grand for a scope without some horse-trading and sales of other toys. I miss those days...

But when I'm only shooting a deer or two a year (for now), and a couple of coyotes, it's hard to justify much more than what I've got in the Z3's, the Kahle, and the various Elites, etc.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Salty, I understand your point and agree with the uncluttered look, it just doesn’t work as well for me when the bottom post all but disappears in some hunting scenarios. It may not happen with the heavier side and bottom post often included with the #4, I don’t know.

Likewise, I also agree with trying to use these busy tactical or target reticles for hunting. I can’t see how it can be done easily. The one I think I’ll like is the BRH design on the Swarovski scopes. The only thing better would be to have illuminated dots at each cross section.

4C1677EA-A357-424D-BCEC-ECFEAAE41245.jpeg
    I thought the same thing when I started. You learn pretty quick. It helps if they are numbered.
    I still use a duplex style for 99% of my hunting. The long range hunting fad has passed me by.
    I enjoy the hunt way more than the shot. I crawled up within 100 yds of several groups of antelope and counted coup
    before I killed the one I did. I could have taken my long range rig and sniped one off the hood of the truck 30 minutes into the hunt.

They can't be compared together....I've em both, VX5, hands down....but on the other hand, if you ignore the weight, Z3 is good too....Both works fine approx. 600-700 yards.

My personal fav is zeiss V8.... Although Z3 & VX5 have better low light but i feel i shoot better with it.....I experiment every year during African trips....

Z3 last 7 min more then conquest DL at the sunset.....VX5 lasts 4 min longer then Z3.

I'd suggest to mount and look through them, which ever your eye feels better, get it.