Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faith, Friends and Pluff Mud Retrievers

Default Faith, Friends and Pluff Mud Retrievers

Something I put together during our last rains. Hope you enjoy and please forgive and misspurled werds and gratickle arras.

Faith, Friends and Pluff Mud Retreivers

When we were younger, our home for the night was most often found between the ribs of leaky boats, leaky tents or ramshackled cabins if we were lucky. Often we made make shift "lean to" sheds on the hill to weather the night. The boats we used were always misfit together with sputtering cranky old motors. A coffee can for bailing was a must have necessity. Our ailing shotguns commonly tossed a spring or pin at the worst of times. By the way, those parts somehow never seemed to land where they can be recovered. We quickly learned to improvise with rusty nails, duct tape or whatever stick we could find and whittled such to pin or plug shaped sizes. You younger folks would be wise to learn to whittle and bobwire fix a thing or two, trust me it will help. My friends and I hoped for rest while laying down upon wet dogs and decoy bags. Through the night we bragged to each other about the warmth of our newfangled waders with chattering teeth. Be it sleet, snow, rain or wind blown cold we would rise before the coming dawn with high hopes that our previous evening scouting would pay dividends.

Sometimes we were greatly blessed and full braces were found. At other times the blessing was found not in braces full but in dry clothes, a cup of coffee or nips around a warm fire as we reached legal age. I can still smell the aroma of pluff mud drying from the backs of well tired retrievers inside the renegade shack.

Some of you fine men and retrievers alike, are no longer here by my side. As life goes, some of you left far to soon. A rift will always be carved upon my heart bearing your namesakes. Certain places we roamed together still bring a knot to my throat and a tear to my eye. When I visit these places I can still see you hunkered down awaiting the call to shoot on your first hunt. Often as not you were just happy to be with your dog playing in the mud. One place, in particular, shows you clear as day smiling ear to ear with your very first duck. You were so very proud. On the other hand, some of you lived full and hard driven lives. You moved on to far better grounds being both long in the tooth and of grizzled face. Your eyes were set deep and full of invaluable wisdom. To you all, your friendship, knowledge, energy, laughter and love of the outdoors are inscribed deeply upon my soul. It would certainly do honors to the the big Cypress stump in the back of Gator hole swamp to have an epitaph of your love for all things dogs, ducks and mud inscribed upon its base. Please do watch over me until my time comes to join you again.

Today, here on earth, I know without doubt that each of you look down upon me from high above. Most certainly you all chuckle and grin mischievously as you see the draw coming from afar. You know ahead of time that I am not prepared for what has cupped low over grass or from high gray skies above. You lean in with anticipation as you see me thinking too hard about the lead or which bird to take first. You know my miss before my finger feels the trigger or the sound of ringing steel hits my ear. Most certainly you laugh a little harder than I would like! Mind you please, a spiritual tap on the shoulder would suffice much better in draws to come. Admittedly, I deserve the chuckle, as I most certainly have made fine sport of your misses in days gone by. I will never forget you, save me a seat in that heavenly blind won't you?

Or, you might be that beloved hard charging and always faithful friend, my last retriever. Unless I made you, you never called quits on a downed bird no matter the distance, terrain or water conditions. I still to this day give thanks that you were mine alone. How often I have wished that I could have given you some of my youth can not be counted. I would have gladly traded such to breathe some life into those eyes that once shined so bright and those muscles that stood so proud and strong. I recall selfishly taking you on your last hunt even though you could barely walk or stand at steady. Convincingly, I told myself that you could at least ride along in the boat so that we could spend some time on the river wetlands together one last time.

Then, the Black Duck, the only draw of that long ago day, appeared on the horizon. He hailed to the call, cupped his wings from afar and piled straight into the spread. I swung, fired true and he crumpled fully dead. He splashed down not a mere 30 yards from the boat. Looking back, I know that this was Gods grace alone. You immediately rose to the shot on buckling legs. You knew what you wanted more than anything in life. I knew what I wanted for you, for us together, just one more time. Your eyes were set firmly upon the Black. My heart beat a quickened pace, not only in amazement as to the gift but also in fear that your strength might fail you. The decision was made the moment you looked up at me with eyes that said one thing alone, Let Me Go !

I picked your withered body up, lowered you gently into the rarely calm delta river and away you went. Ever so slowly, more an amble than a swim, you progressed with not a worry on your mind. Your eyes, nose and tail were barely above the water. I worried you would cough just once and sink to be lost forever. A brief thought crossed my mind that such a passing for you would be honorable, a warriors way. That thought passed like lightening and I made the boat ready to get you quickly if such need arose. Doubt quickly turned to confidence as I looked up to see that you were still committed to your quarry. Finally, in what seemed like hours, you made it to the Black drifter and without much loss of distance to current. You took the big drake softly in your mouth and returned at your own pace.

You did such a fine fine job and delivered him to hand at the side of the boat. I lifted you back into the boat and thanked God for his glory in all things. You sniffed the bird in satisfaction and I patted your head. You shook me wet as usual and mischievously looked into my eyes with a look of perfect contentment . I praised you and doted over you for what seemed like a very long while. You didn't complain about the doting and looked at the decoy spread in hopes of yet another retrieve. You were happy, we were happy. And then I saw it, beyond a doubt, the blazing fire of youth was glowing strongly inside those wizened amber colored eyes of yours. I felt your fire and felt a personal peace as if a miracle had occurred. A seeming lifetime of memories with you flashed before my eyes, you as a puppy, our daily training, your first retrieve, your narrow escape from a should be sleeping gator, you tracking a poorly shot buck and once baying a crippled boar hog without a scratch to be found. During those memories I again confirmed to you that you were hands down the greatest dog to ever live.

I knew the swim had exhausted you and picked up the decoys quickly as you watched with your head laying on the gunnel. We headed home. That night, as I did every night in your old age, I massaged your back, legs and shoulders. I hoped for a miracle. The next morning the fire in your eyes had faded as quickly as it had come. Now only a dull glaze shown through. I knew in my heart that soon I would have to make that most heart tearing decision for you. I prayed you would spare me of such a thing and pass of your own accord on your terms. You didn't. To some it may seem silly but I still pray that you understood and forgive me for that day. I know to this day that you hung on only to be my side. That day came against our wills. Many asked to help and many more offered support. After we left the vet's office and knowing that you were a one man's dog, I didn't let another soul touch you. In pure misery but with some form of pride I dug your hole, laid you to rest and covered your body with dark soil, alone. The back corner of the pasture was your chosen spot to take in the sun after a long day. In body only, you rest there to this day. Your collars and spirit, well I placed those upon the bulwark poles in the shape of a cross at our favorite bend in the river. The same bend where your last retrieve was made. Some four years later the Centennial flood knocked those bulwark poles down and your collars with them. I knew this signified that it was long past time to get another hunting companion. My new Chesapeake has a huge set of shoes to fill but is nearing your wisdom and shows promise. He certainly has won my heart. If you will, please guide me away from the hard mistakes I made with you. While we are at it, show him the way as to treacherous swims, tough ducks and lurking danger if you would.

Your Black Duck still hangs proudly upon my gun room wall and below hangs a picture of you on the return of that final retrieve. I count that as a fine blessing indeed.

We all carry those special memories of both men and dogs deep in our hearts. Though some of those memories may deeply hurt, I cherish them. Life without them would be dull and boring. I hope for you that know loss, that like me you find peace and solace in knowing that we will all meet again in a far better place.

Now, until my time comes to join those above, I pledge to maintain ethics while afield, high hopes of well managed lands, committed draws, well placed shots, faithful hard driving retrievers and honest hunting buddies.

The Good Lord Willing, as long as I am able to work my dog, hitch the boat, toss out the blocks, grunt on the call and shoulder the old shooting iron then I will be out there making memories with faith, friends and pluff mud retrievers.

In closing, If you my friend, are ever sitting there with chores and family needs fulfilled, wondering whether or not you should go hunting, well the answer quite simply is YES!

I do believe God would strongly agree as well.

Last edited by Strick9; 11-21-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Dogs go to heaven. Not because they deserve it, but because it wouldn't be heaven without a dog.

Amen , of that I have no doubt.
    Genesis 9;2

Sporty Wood speaks truth.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I enjoyed that Strick!

Good stuff, Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Life without a dog is not living.

That was a great read, thank you
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

That's awesome dude,heres to those that have come and gone.We'll all meet again in those green pastures up above when we're called home...Amen.

Excellent read ! Thank You !

Well written. Struck up lots of memories of time on the river with friends. Some with two legs, others with four. Put my almost 15 year old lab this spring and reading this brought me right back to some of what I knew would be his final retrieves a few years ago in a wood duck hole in the swamp specifically picked for him as I knew it was no more than two feet deep and I knew he could touch. Documented those retrieves with pictures and video as well. Even last season, when he was too old to go, I would give birds a short toss in the yard and he would happily walk over to pick them up. The mind never faded and you could see the fire in his eyes just like you mentioned but his body ultimately failed him.
    I enjoyed the read, brought a few tears to my eye. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great read.

That was a great read, thanks. I'm betting a higher power commanded those key strokes...

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    That was a great read, thanks. I'm betting a higher power commanded those key strokes...
    It seems, and thankfully so that he commands more in my life these older days. Mind you I am still a big heathen but it seems as I lean closer to him the more he loves back. Funny how things work better that way be it business success, hunting, forgiveness or just helping others out in need.
    Genesis 9;2

That was a great read that many of us can relate too. It has memories racing through my mind! Thanks for sharing!

Dadgum Strick,

We are dogless at my house for the first time in over 12 years. It is heartwrenching. Our LBD went everywhere we did. It is not getting easier.

I have lost many great dogs to time and illness. Quite a few human hunting partners too. I don't like to think about that much, because the days that pass without them only makes my own mortality that much more apparent. Reality is, I have fewer days ahead than I have behind me. All of you young and old alike, get busy making some memories. Someday, all we will have is those memories of friends, dogs, hunts and experiences afield... My life has been rich with some fine days. I have been blessed. Wishing the same for all of you.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Great thread! Thanks for sharing that. Whole lot of truth in the comments as well

That was touching in so many ways. Thank you!
    867-5309

perhaps the best thing I've read in a long long time!

I know that probably tore your heart out to type, but bless you for sharing those wonderful words brother. Those words are gonna touch everyone that reads them.

Goodness that hits home on the first day of duck season. I’ve had some good ones and miss them all...