Thread: Changing it up

Default Changing it up

How many of you have had decent luck scrapping the stand sitting, grabbing your shotgun and getting off the food plots? Thinking about grabbing my shotgun and my tree seat and doing some walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the time. I have more rifles with irons than I do scopes.

30-30 with irons or my AR with a 1-6x scope. Ive killed as many or more on the ground than from a stand.

Put the wind in your face and go!

In certain places yes. Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

We hunt this way on New Year’s Day every year. Break up our somewhat small land into three small units. And three of us start walking. It is the most productive hunt of the year, but we jump more deer than stalk. Our property if not conducive to a drive so to speak, but the walk and stalk method works very well.

Sure. I have stood a few feet from a buck licking himself in his bed. Another, a huge 8, I counted coup on while he was on one side of a tree following a doe while I was on the other.

i dont sit any big club stands that people routinely use. Granted, I might pin that stand, but I aint sitting IN it.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I used to do it all the time until two of the asshats who have permission to hunt the 200 acres next to me started creating a stink if I'd be walking the woods when they decided to sit a stand. I tried for a few years to maintain coordination with them and let them know when I was doing a 'walk-about', but they would never reciprocate.

I still walk a different piece of land from time to time, but it's much tougher to move quietly or without being seen at a distance on that section.

And I never changed to a shotgun. I might change to a 30-30 occasionally, but normally will keep the same 7-08.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i dont sit any big club stands that people routinely use. Granted, I might pin that stand, but I aint sitting IN it.
    Got another buddy who does the same and seems to kill more deer

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I used to do it all the time until two of the asshats who have permission to hunt the 200 acres next to me started creating a stink if I'd be walking the woods when they decided to sit a stand. I tried for a few years to maintain coordination with them and let them know when I was doing a 'walk-about', but they would never reciprocate.

I still walk a different piece of land from time to time, but it's much tougher to move quietly or without being seen at a distance on that section.

And I never changed to a shotgun. I might change to a 30-30 occasionally, but normally will keep the same 7-08.
    I just get worried about shooting a rifle off the ground

This used to be my favorite way to hunt, legs are going these days,In the lowcountry and midlands I loved hunting dry or almost dry swamp runs. I usually carried a shotgun loaded with slugs, deadly and a solid game stopper out to 100 yards with the same lead on a moving deer as buckshot. Brenneke style slugs are great in a standard shotgun.
    Upstate I used to walk creek bottoms with the 30-30.

If you are in the woods- a rifle off the ground is fine.

About big well used club stands- pin it, take a climber and sit 50 yards away- you will see deer sneak to the opening, peek at the stand and walk right out when they see it's empty. That's why all of my stands have a full camo burlap covering with shooting holes.
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 11-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I just get worried about shooting a rifle off the ground

Understood. The property I hunt has various wooded ridges and swampy areas, etc, running through it, so the chance of a long range, errant bullet is extremely unlikely.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I’m about 40 yds off a foot plot. Man it’s hot. It was a good mile back here. Looks like 3 or 3 trails come together. This Millennium Tree Seat is the ticket.