Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fried turkey

Default Fried turkey

My wife wants me to fry a turkey for a Thanksgiving this year. I’ve never done it myself...any of y’all have good recipe for brines, or a rub? What’s the best way to prepare the bird before dropping in oil? Thanks guys!
    Last edited by JJ1965; 11-21-2019 at 08:46 AM.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Rub it with some junk and put it in a big easy. Wasting oil on turkeys is unneeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Rub it with some junk and put it in a big easy. Wasting oil on turkeys is unneeded.
    I don’t disagree, but my wife wants a fried turkey. Thirty dollars worth of peanut oil is a small price to pay for a happy wife on Thanksgiving.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Keep it simple. Inject the hell out of it with creole butter and rub it down with Tony’s or your Cajun seasoning of choice. Drop it in 350 degree oil for 3 minutes per pound and add 5 minutes at the end. Keep that oil at 350 or you’re gonna have a burned bird and an unhappy wife. Use a meat thermometer to check for 165* internal temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your local Bojangles will do it. Call today and reserve yours. Saves a lot of hassle and mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Your local Bojangles will do it. Call today and reserve yours. Saves a lot of hassle and mess.
    Just when I think there's nothing else to see here you go and bring me back in with something like this.

i've fried a bunch of them. we tend to invite friends so you dont waste the oil.

i have people that inject and brine and season. I dont. Just dry it off and dunk it. you can season after, if you'd like. They all taste the same.

oh...and dont be a dumbass and fry a whole turkey with all the giblets and such left inside.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Duckman.

Quote Originally Posted by beech View Post
    Just when I think there's nothing else to see here you go and bring me back in with something like this.
    I've fried a bunch of turkeys and there's really nothing to it, but for the man whose never done it Bojangles is the easy out.

Make sure it's thawed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post

oh...and dont be a dumbass and fry a whole turkey with all the giblets and such left inside.
    In that case, I’m guessing I should cut the beard and fan off too?

A question about the bojangles birds, do they do them at the local store or somewhere else and ship them to the local store. The bojangles near me cant get a biscuit order right half the time, and can you select the size? asking for a friend . . .

I use liquid shortening anymore instead of peanut oil. Last time I bought it it was $15 a jug. Tastes better and doesn't offend peanut haters. Like 2th said invite some friends to bring chickens or whatever else they want to fry and take home with them. Let it cool, funnel it back in the jug, and recycle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Bojangles makes a darn good turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Make sure it's thawed.
    This is very true.

Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

VERY IMPORTANT FIRST STEPS- thaw and clean out the turkey- put it in the fry pot on the holder, fill with water until the entire turkey is submerged and covered- add 1 inch of water- remove the turkey and drain all the water back into the fry pot- mark the water level with a sharpie or measure with a ruler- that's how much earl you need. DRY OFF THE TURKEY. Now get cookin.

Yeah, thanks guys. I know how to fry it, was just hoping for some advice on seasoning..,rubs, brines, injections, etc. what’s best?

What bad habit said, but I just go ahead and fill the pot with the oil to desired level and then remove turkey, heat oil and re-add turkey to the pot. That way no hot oil and water mixing for obvious reasons. As far as seasoning usually don't season and just fry. The injectable marinades, Cajun butter and such are good though.
    More Ducks, Less People

injecting turkeys just seems like such a wasted effort. I'll brine some white meat animals now, but to me all of that just seems unneeded frying a turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Duckman.
    And all God's children said, "Amen".
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.