Thread: Deer Ham

Default Deer Ham

Anyone ever smoked a deer ham? If so, what was the recipe?
    “You must teach your children that the ground beneath their feet is the ashes of your grandfathers. So that they will respect the land, tell your children that the earth is rich with the lives of our kin. Teach your children what we have taught our children, that the earth is our mother. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. If men spit upon the ground, they spit upon themselves.”

~Chief Seattle ~

Any variety of rub/marinade you enjoy and low and slow. Main thing is to trim out lymph system in the ham and trim the sheath on the outside good.

Cut the gland out
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I smoked one on the BGE last year following this recipe and it was tasty.......and yes, removing the lymph node is a must

Screenshot 2019-11-18 at 8.42.41 AM.png
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 11-18-2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Found video
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

^^^This does look good!! Did it stay juicy?

I went a little heavy on the bacon fat and it didn't dry out at all
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

I've done it and did a cold brine in fridge for 4-5 days. I used the pop's brine recipe. It's very simple and gives the cure time to penetrate all the way down. I prefer this because it ends up being more like pastrami.

for every 1 gallon of water, add:

1/3 - 1 cup sea salt (depending if you're on a lo-salt diet)

1 cup granulated sugar or Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji]

1 cup brown sugar or Splenda[emoji]174[/emoji] brown sugar mix

1 tbsp cure no. 1 pink salt

stir thoroughly until clear amber color, pour over meat, inject if necessary to cure from inside-out as well as outside-in

weight down with a partially filled 1 qt or 1 gal. ziploc bag or bags to keep meat immersed

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.) If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce. The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces). You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:

Looks good

Yes. The one on the cutting board is one I just rub. The other is a pastrami. I'm making a batch of pastrami soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.