Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Divers

Great pictures, thanks for sharing and welcome! The area you hunt looks a lot like the pictures I see of guys hunting in Pakistan. Heck of a neat variety there. How common are the Bar Headed Geese?

From what I can see it's just a matter of habitat. You're in shallow water and divers simply don't like shallow water. At least not that shallow. Unless there's corn there of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I'd keep shooting puddle ducks and say to heck with the divers. Don't look the gift horse in the mouth. Feel free to google that if it don't make sense...
    Last edited by willyworm; 11-20-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

best way to get them coming is to put the guns away and take the boat out to pick up downed birds or go out and make adjustment to your spread .That's when they'll hit your spread!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

I am glad you have installed ethical hunting in your later years. I am also glad that you even had the birds in such number as to be unethical in your youth.

I would start by using a big spread of only divers off the side of your puddler ducks.

Secondly, I would certainly attempt building a layout tub or boat of some sort and put that in the middle of a bay or area where you can hunt layout style OR diver decoys in front of a deep dug pit as you presented in one of your pictures.

You may also try replicating the sounds of the diver on a normal duck call.

Best of luck and do stick around.
    Genesis 9;2

Son of a gun the Asians kill everything....

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing and welcome! The area you hunt looks a lot like the pictures I see of guys hunting in Pakistan. Heck of a neat variety there. How common are the Bar Headed Geese?
    Bar headed are common.... Grey leg in few numbers.
    Attachment 51281
    Attachment 51282

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    I am glad you have installed ethical hunting in your later years. I am also glad that you even had the birds in such number as to be unethical in your youth.

I would start by using a big spread of only divers off the side of your puddler ducks.

Secondly, I would certainly attempt building a layout tub or boat of some sort and put that in the middle of a bay or area where you can hunt layout style OR diver decoys in front of a deep dug pit as you presented in one of your pictures.

You may also try replicating the sounds of the diver on a normal duck call.

Best of luck and do stick around.
    Makes a lot of sense to me....so approx. 4 feet water, I've built this yesterday..... When the excessive water is released from the DAM, only 2-3 feet from the top will be visible....and yes, going to put the divers in front and puddle on the other side...

Attachment 51283
    Attachment 51284

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Son of a gun the Asians kill everything....
    Thats true...... Hunting runs in the family from generations......This is the reason I'm converting my land to conservation... I'm building pens (150m length by 40m width & height 15 Feet with plenty room to fly) & hatchery to preserve wild life balance... It also has significantly dropped pesticide expense...
    Upland:- pheasant, chukar, grey partridge, Quail (Japanese & bob white).......
    waterfowl......
    gazelle, Ibex & hog deer..... So whatever is surplus is hunted.

Attachment 51285
    Attachment 51286
    Attachment 51287
    Attachment 51288
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 02-13-2020 at 01:33 AM.

You are literally living the dream. Please stick around, awesome pictures.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

That's as cool as it gets. I have enjoyed the photos.

That blind looks like it will certainly kill some divers if they are around. Good work!

I may have missed it, but where are you located? Very cool animals all the way around.

Is this for real? I sure would like to try some of that

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    That blind looks like it will certainly kill some divers if they are around. Good work!

I may have missed it, but where are you located? Very cool animals all the way around.
    Southeast Asia, which for you geography challenged individuals, does not include Mongolia or Pakistan.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-21-2019 at 02:50 PM.

Man that's the life! Ducks and upland are my favorite! If there are fish I might need to relocate.

Welcome again Cyrus! We like the pics...keep em coming.

I haven't read thru all the responses, but to answer your initial question....We use Big Decoy Spreads for Divers. Also in our area on the East Coast, Coots are a good confidence decoy and are used in large numbers when targeting divers like you mentioned, especially Canvasbacks. On certain diver rich bodies of water in the US you'll see hunters use Hundreds of plastic bottles painted black and white. They don't have to be fancy, but the volume is useful for divers.

Even then after putting out several hundred diver decoys on long lines, it's rather frustrating when the ducks raft up themselves and then the incoming groups go straight to the large rafts of live decoys. They make your spread look small in a hurry.

Good luck! Keep after them.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Man that's the life! Ducks and upland are my favorite! If there are fish I might need to relocate.
    This. This guy has it made:

This is a great reminder of how SC is the worst place to live if you like to duck hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper66 View Post
    Lesgo Rusty!
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

What tha......that's just FUCKING INSANE!!!
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Quote Originally Posted by cooper66 View Post
    Welcome Guys...

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Plenty fish
    Attachment 51303
    Attachment 51304
    Attachment 51305
    Attachment 51310
    Attachment 51307

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Welcome again Cyrus! We like the pics...keep em coming.

I haven't read thru all the responses, but to answer your initial question....We use Big Decoy Spreads for Divers. Also in our area on the East Coast, Coots are a good confidence decoy and are used in large numbers when targeting divers like you mentioned, especially Canvasbacks. On certain diver rich bodies of water in the US you'll see hunters use Hundreds of plastic bottles painted black and white. They don't have to be fancy, but the volume is useful for divers.

Even then after putting out several hundred diver decoys on long lines, it's rather frustrating when the ducks raft up themselves and then the incoming groups go straight to the large rafts of live decoys. They make your spread look small in a hurry.

Good luck! Keep after them.
    Thanks for the advice brother.... Thats what i was looking for.....I'm all set for tomorrow shoot, will post results.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotunderit View Post
    What tha......that's just FUCKING INSANE!!!
    We just have 1 life...... Do what you luv and engage family with you.....My son is 14, he's into horses.... So i'm helping him setup a stud farm, we have 9 horses...My wife helps run/manage everything.... its good money, or even if no money, you get satisfaction and a feeling of doing something better and progressive in life.....This, not only help preserve wildlife but creates so many opportunities for people to get a decent living....I saw a thread of a homeless guy needs help, i'm too far but i look for such people to come, work and earn a decent living.

Hunting aside, its fun cooking too
    Attachment 51306
    Attachment 51308
    Attachment 51309
    Last edited by cyrusthevirus; 02-13-2020 at 01:34 AM.