Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help with Divers

Default Need Help with Divers

Hi All,

My first post. I hope everyone is doing good.

I'm hunting for over 25 years. Waterfowl hunting used to be fun but ever since Robo ducks were introduced or new technical gadgets introduced, the dynamics have been changed. The sport has become technical enough to rethink strategies. I mostly hunt on open rivers. We get a mixed bag of teals, pintails, gadwall, vision, etc during arrival/return migration. Mostly reach bag limit 7 am in the morning.

This is the 3rd season I'm having issues with decoying divers, especially the RedHead and Aussie Hardheaded diver. I've changed decoy layouts/spread, calling techniques, blind layout, etc but divers are not attracted to my spread. They pass by pretending the decoys, calling, nothing exists.

The worst case was when a large flock of around 80 divers flying 5-8 feet above the water passed from 70 yards from my layout and landed 300-350 yards in front of me.

I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Can your pecker touch your butthole?
    867-5309

If you're limiting out by 7am on teal, pintails and gadwals then F.U.C.K. a diver...
    Last edited by youngun15; 11-18-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusthevirus View Post
    Hi All,

My first post. I hope everyone is doing good.

I'm hunting for over 25 years. Waterfowl hunting used to be fun but ever since Robo ducks were introduced or new technical gadgets introduced, the dynamics have been changed. The sport has become technical enough to rethink strategies. I mostly hunt on open rivers. We get a mixed bag of teals, pintails, gadwall, vision, etc during arrival/return migration. Mostly reach bag limit 7 am in the morning.

This is the 3rd season I'm having issues with decoying divers, especially the RedHead and Aussie Hardheaded diver. I've changed decoy layouts/spread, calling techniques, blind layout, etc but divers are not attracted to my spread. They pass by pretending the decoys, calling, nothing exists.

The worst case was when a large flock of around 80 divers flying 5-8 feet above the water passed from 70 yards from my layout and landed 300-350 yards in front of me.

I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    What river? Then we will know what you need to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by youngun15 View Post
    If you're limiting out by 7am on teal, pintails and gadwals then F.U.C.K. a diver...
    Don't forget all those sweet "visions" that he shoots!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Shoot at them. They will come right in.

Dude what country are you from? Australia?
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

They are seeing you.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

25 years experience and can’t decoy a diver then your fucked
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    They are seeing you.
    This is probably your problem. Normally with divers you just throw out the decoys, load your guns, and keep plenty of shells close.

Here are some rules to go by when hunting divers.

1. There is no such thing as a smart diver.

2.There are no more rules.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-18-2019 at 11:19 AM.

I think your decoying strategy is working perfectly....
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

This is what I’m saying.

I second, third, and fourth this.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

Dang think they pitched in just fine today.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Basically end the thread here. It’s the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Need more Clorox bottles
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Yell, Wave your hat at them, lay down and get ready. It works.

Also if that is your best attempt to troll this crowd I can understand how challenging divers would be.
    Last edited by santee11; 11-18-2019 at 10:05 PM.

i understand the feedback lol.....I get same kinda response when i ask this question lol.....I'm from south east Asia, we have very dense arrival/return migration.... We don't really have a bag limit, i mentioned the limit to give you guys an idea.... its just ethical not to shoot more then required..... here's the situation..... Last Friday, we experienced approx. 52 flocks.... Out of these 52, approx. 28 were divers and Seriously, non of the F**King flock even bothered looking at us.... Although we had a good bag but ZERO Divers.... I'm just curious as to what the F**K is wrong.... and this is the 3rd season.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Can your pecker touch your butthole?
    Well, its better to play with pecker if you can't decoy a diver lol

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Besides being criticized, this is the reason I'm asking because it frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by DJA View Post
    I second, third, and fourth this.
    Every second flock is either a redhead, canvas back or hardhead.....Everything else, pintail, teals, gadwal, Mallard, garganey, shevlor.... No issues but F**K... Its embarrassing.

P.S.... On a serious Note.... I hunt on my land and the rule apply which I set....Feb/March has thick migration.... join me and witness waterfowling at its best (apart from Divers )

Ok...I’m sitting here imagining a tiny torpedo...or maybe a diamond rattler...or chugger. It’s right in the middle of a bunch of really awesome looking Lilly pads in rich, black, tannic water and just past a submerged log...it’s been still for many seconds, but the ripples from its last beautiful lurch forward are still waving those lilly pads. You just know...you feel the eyes of several fat largemouths staring...mesmerized...waiting for that next lurch to trip that trigger wound tight in all who have turned their attention to this amazing thing.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!