Thread: First ribs on pellet smoker

Default First ribs on pellet smoker

Bought a new Pit Boss vertical couple months ago to replace my old MES that crapped out.

Friend of mine kept suggesting pellet smoker but was apprehensive to say this least and even looked at one of Stump’s wood smokers but I do not use it enough and like the turn on and leave it basically method .

First round I did couple think center cut pork chops and turned out well, did a turkey last weekend and was decent but not my best effort. Still learning some tricks on the pellet smoker

Went to early church service this am and stopped by Publix on way home and saw 2 nice racks of ribs and figured worth a shot

Used a store bought chipotle rub that was heat/sweet. After removing membrane I used Johnny Trigg’s trick of squeeze butter before the rub . Let them sweat and had smoker set to 275. Smoked for 3 hours and spritzed with apple juice/apple cider vinegar mixture

Turned out pretty good but wish I had added little brown sugar to them, very tender and good flavor.

Wife and Mother in Law loved them.

321B146E-0C4A-4FBB-A046-4A90BB3FBF9E.jpgE46B2BC8-8F05-4B7A-AE51-3CA56F082C7F.jpg
    Last edited by tprice; 11-17-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Awesome stuff. Ive been pondering on moving from a mes to a pellet smoker myself.

Quote Originally Posted by UpSouth811 View Post
    Awesome stuff. Ive been pondering on moving from a mes to a pellet smoker myself.

So far I have to say I like the difference. MES has a pellet smoker but to be honest it did not look to well insulated compared to their other smokers for some reason

Yeah I’ve been looking at the traegers esp since they are $100 off

I love my Traeger. My only complaint is the control loop and the temperature swing, they’ve got a really loose control loop and it shows with the colder weather. Anyone tried programming an aftermarket controller? I’ve done a little research and it seems like folks are getting to within +\- 10 degrees with relatively cheap after market control boards and free software

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    So far I have to say I like the difference. MES has a pellet smoker but to be honest it did not look to well insulated compared to their other smokers for some reason
    Because it has a controller they used lighter gauge steel. It does seem odd to spend so much on thin gauge steel with a heavy gauge the temp swings would less and less fuel.