Thread: Grinding it up...

Default Grinding it up...

The Kitchener #32 doing some work in the trap shed...It's that time of year again...Deer scraps and yearly freezer burn clean out...That #32 is BadAss...Ribs, chicken wings and bone in pork chops...It don't matter, it comes out the other end in a perfect base for coyote/predator bait.

Let it set and taint for a few weeks, then mix in bait solutions, stabilize and we ready to go.........20191117_120325.jpg

Nice! I have a bunch of new stuff and looked forward to the skunky smell when the box arrived !!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

what exactly is "bait solutions and stabilize" for us novices?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    what exactly is "bait solutions and stabilize" for us novices?
    Dobbins bait solution is the preferred go to in our area...In short, it is a blend of scents that appeals to a predator...After you let a bait base achieve it's desired taint and mix in the bait solution, you then stabilize it with Sodium Benzoate to stop the further deterioration (rotting) of the bait...Most of the time I add Honey too, which is a natural attractant and a natural preservative...I have baits that are years old and they are still in the same condition as the day they were stabilized.DBAITSOL16.jpeg
    Last edited by Swift Strike; 11-18-2019 at 03:31 AM.

thanks, once you have your concoction, is it rolled up or something like a hamburger patty
    or put in a sock or what? do you freeze the baits for storage?

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    thanks, once you have your concoction, is it rolled up or something like a hamburger patty
    or put in a sock or what? do you freeze the baits for storage?
    Properly stabilized baits will last for years stored at room temperature... However, I usually freeze mine when season is over for safe keeping...I re-use commercial bait containers, but have found the best thing for me is empty peanut butter jars...It really only takes a small amount of bait and an even smaller amount of lure to make a set...But, that commercial stuff gets expensive and sometimes I like to use a lot depending on the situation...That's why I make my own, plus I enjoy tweaking my own concoctions and experiencing the satisfaction of making catches with my own brew.