Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School Me on Shotguns

Buy an A300 if you want an good entry level gun, either that or act like these wondering assholes.

I won't get into brands but most duck hunters shoot 12 gauge, semi autos. A pump will suffice if you are used to shooting them. Most duck hunters shoot 3" shells. For most waterfowl, you are restricted to a gun that will only hold three shells total. If it will hold more, the magazine has to be plugged.

Duck hunting is rough on guns so synthetic furniture and non-glare finish is advised. It's not unheard of to use the gun as a paddle or pushpole. Ducks have extremely good vision so a camo gun is not a bad idea. You will need a barrel that can handle steel shot and it's nice to have the option to change choke tubes. An excessively short barreled gun is rude to anyone sharing a blind with you. The muzzle blast feels like a hard slap in the ear. I prefer a 26" minimum length barrel on a semi auto. Longer might be a hindrance in timber but probably not. Cold, wet weather can test the reliability of a semi auto so stick with a brand and model that has a good reputation.

I bought a Franchi Affinity a couple years ago. It's made by benelli and has the same inertia system with the exception that the spring is in the forend, rather than the butt stock. It's performed flawlessly although I have not put a lot of shells through it. They can be had for under $700 now, versus almost twice as much for a SBE3.

I shoot a 391 Extrema2, if it ever quits working, I'll go back with a Berreta or possibly the 12ga M2.
    I love shooting my wife's M2 20ga for ducks and doves.

ETA: You can kill the fool out of ducks with your current gun. I shot a Mossberg pump for years before I saved up and bought my Extrema2.
    Last edited by scdiver; 11-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scattergun View Post
    I bought a Franchi Affinity a couple years ago. It's made by benelli and has the same inertia system with the exception that the spring is in the forend, rather than the butt stock. It's performed flawlessly although I have not put a lot of shells through it. They can be had for under $700 now, versus almost twice as much for a SBE3.

It’s been mentioned a few times. I shoot franchi affinity, it doesn’t break the bank like a sb3 or a400 will. They’re just great all round guns for less than $1k

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Stoeger m3000 is a decent gun for the money, and I have never had one hang up on me.

I own 2 of them.

For somebody getting into duck hunting, remember, any shotgun that fires, and any 2.3/4 inch steel shot shell will bring a duck down inside 40 yards.
    I didnt mention stoeger as I cant personally vouch for them, but have heard they work fine.

I personally used a Remington 870 for 15+ years for anything I was hunting and it never let me down. I cant vouch for the quality of todays models though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the gun store. Fondle Brownings, Benellis and Berettas. See which one you like the best. See what you do not like at all. What points and swings well. Then, put all that expensive shit down and go home and get on Armslist and see if you can find what you like.

Personally, I like the Brownings. I have several gold's, a maxus a new a5 and a bunch of real Auto 5's. I always go back to the old Auto 5's I grew up with them, I like the way they feel, like the way they shoot and shit I point it at usually does. My maxus is really nice. Soft shooting gas gun that will eat anything from angry 3 1/2's to 7/8 oz 2 3/4 Target loads. The gold's have also done well. I found my go to gold on GunBroker for 450 a while ago. Needed a recoil spring but that is acceptable seeing how I paid 1/2 price with the spring. Do not really like the new a5, it shoots ok but I do not like the fact the took away the mag cuttoff and it does not always load shells.

Point is, all three make great guns. No real need to buy new. Find a used one that might be beat up a little and get a deal.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

Quote Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
    Go to the gun store. Fondle Brownings, Benellis and Berettas. See which one you like the best. See what you do not like at all. What points and swings well. Then, put all that expensive shit down and go home and get on Armslist and see if you can find what you like.

Personally, I like the Brownings. I have several gold's, a maxus a new a5 and a bunch of real Auto 5's. I always go back to the old Auto 5's I grew up with them, I like the way they feel, like the way they shoot and shit I point it at usually does. My maxus is really nice. Soft shooting gas gun that will eat anything from angry 3 1/2's to 7/8 oz 2 3/4 Target loads. The gold's have also done well. I found my go to gold on GunBroker for 450 a while ago. Needed a recoil spring but that is acceptable seeing how I paid 1/2 price with the spring. Do not really like the new a5, it shoots ok but I do not like the fact the took away the mag cuttoff and it does not always load shells.

Point is, all three make great guns. No real need to buy new. Find a used one that might be beat up a little and get a deal.
    LOL, you checked the prices on Armslist lately. Most people are asking more than you can buy new for with a little shopping.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I bought an old (1973) 870 Wingmaster that is in great condition from a member here. Shot it for the first time on our dove opener and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Limited out and the gun ran flawlessly. It already has a special place in my collection. Don’t be afraid to buy used. You can find like new guns all over that will allow you to get
    The most out of your budget. I like wood guns but even I have a dedicated duck gun that’s synthetic. It’s nice not having to worry about rust.

Some great deals to be had on gunbroker. There are a lot of great choices on the market today. You just have to figure out what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    Some great deals to be had on gunbroker. There are a lot of great choices on the market today. You just have to figure out what works for you.
    Yesterday, I bought a 1988 20 guage citori off GBthat looks to be in great condition for cheap. Like, really cheap. Reputable seller otherwise I’d think there was something wrong.
    Last edited by wskinner; 11-17-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Unless you lose or abuse it, a quality shotgun will hold its value so you're really not spending money...more like buying a CD that pays interest/dividends. You can always liquidate it things get bad without losing much.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Yesterday, I bought a 1988 20 guage citori off GBthat looks to be in great condition for cheap. Like, really cheap. Reputable seller otherwise I’d think there was something wrong.
    Probably going to be my next purchase. I've been eyeballing them. Haven't decided on a Browning or Beretta just yet.

So, anyone got a shotgun they want to sell to BB?

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    Probably going to be my next purchase. I've been eyeballing them. Haven't decided on a Browning or Beretta just yet.
    I have both. Grew up shooting a Citori Lightening and have quite a few other models of them. Bought a Silver Pigeon a few years ago and haven’t used a Citori since.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Beretta a300 or Franchi Affinity will both serve you well for around $600.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    So, anyone got a shotgun they want to sell to BB?

Sure - I'll sell BB a Browning 3 1/2" Gold Stalker in Mossy Oak Shadow grass for $900. Less than 200 rounds through it. Camo finish is factory new due to a warranty issue with the original and hasn't been shot since returning from Browning. And if BB is a decent fella, I'll throw in some lagniappe...

Quote Originally Posted by kquinn View Post
    Beretta A300 if you are on a budget

I have a Beretta A3901 semi that has never failed me and I shot it exclusively for 10 years I will sell you for $325. You will never find more gun for that price.

BlackBart, you better jump on that offer
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...